Topic: 8BA instalation

kirkstad    -- 06-15-2018 @ 3:39 PM
  I was at a local car show recently and met a gentlemen with a 35 3/w coupe I hadn't seen before.It was great to see another old ford as most of these local car shows today remind me of a used car lot from the 70's.Anyway, I told him about the early V8 club and hope to give him an application next time I see him.His 35 has a rebuilt 8BA with a 6volt electric cooling fan.He would like to run a stock fan but there doesn't seem to be any room for one.Anyone have an 8BA in an early ford,maybe a picture?Thank's in advance.

dandy32    -- 06-15-2018 @ 5:03 PM
  Iam going to be going thru the same problem putting an 8ba in A 32 roadster I to cant wait for some input from the members as to the trouble I might face because I want to run a stock style fan to not an electric

Sneezer    -- 06-15-2018 @ 5:30 PM
  I just put a 52 Mercury motor in my 35 coupe. No room for the fan due to the extended waterpumps I am putting a 14" pusher fan between the radiator and the grill. There may be room for a 16" puller low on the radiator but that is iffy. Up high, the generator creates limited room due to the slanted radiator

Sneezer    -- 06-15-2018 @ 5:34 PM
  I just put a 52 Mercury motor in my 35 coupe. No room for the fan due to the extended waterpumps I am putting a 14" pusher fan between the radiator and the grill. There may be room for a 16" puller low on the radiator but that is iffy. Up high, the generator creates limited room due to the slanted radiator

coup    -- 06-15-2018 @ 6:22 PM
  8BA in a 38. I ground welds on fan and moved fan back a little on the shaft. rewelded. Pushed rad forward to limit. made anti chatter rods and pulled eng rear to limit. you can gain a bit on rear shackles too. worked for me on a 38. I do not have the car now.

kirkstad    -- 06-16-2018 @ 7:14 AM
  Thank's for the help guys, I'll pass on the info.

kirkstad    -- 06-18-2018 @ 10:41 AM
  Thank you for the reply Sneezer using two fans a pusher and a puller may be a solution for him.I have a 16" pusher fan on my 36 I turn on during those real long parades.I wasn't aware they made two sizes unless yours is 12 volt.I have also been told that running distilled water with anti rust additive will make a car run about 20 degrees cooler also.
Frank

kirkstad    -- 06-18-2018 @ 10:48 AM
  Thank's for the reply coup.What year did the radiators on fords mount straight and not slanted, was that on the 38 models or 39 or am I wrong altogether?
Frank

TomO    -- 06-19-2018 @ 7:26 AM
  You might want to check out using a pusher and pull fan on the same radiator. I have heard that it is a bad idea.

Tom

wmsteed    -- 06-19-2018 @ 10:16 AM
  Many years ago I put an 8BA engine into a '36 Ford 1/2 ton pickup. We used the '49-50 Merc water pumps and merc motor mount spacer blocks. Had no trouble mounting the stock 8BA Fan.
A friend of mine has an 8BA engine in his '37 Ford pickup, my friend used the same merc pumps and engine mounts, with the 8BA fan. Pix of my friends '37 w/8BA attached.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kirkstad    -- 06-19-2018 @ 11:43 AM
  Tank you winsteed for the picture and information.What is the purpose of the spacer blocks on the motor mounts?Does one belt drive the fan, pumps and generator?I can,t see the crank pulley in the picture.
Thank,s again
Frank

dandy32    -- 06-19-2018 @ 4:48 PM
  I want to Thank you to A picture is worth A 1000 words iam going for the same setup but with A wide belt.

GK1918    -- 06-20-2018 @ 2:53 AM
  Its been so long ago I can not explain how, but I did put a 6BA in my
1936 All I remember I had the fan on the generator don't know what
fan I used but it worked and worked well

TomO    -- 06-20-2018 @ 8:00 AM
  Using the 8RT water pumps allows you to use the wide belt and stock motor mounts. The fan bracket on the 48-53 trucks mounts on the generator mount and may not be in the best position to cool a 1935 radiator. On the 1940 cars, it is too far from the radiator.

You can see the belt configuration on this link:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Ford/1949%20Ford/1949%20Ford%20Brochure/image4.html

Tom

kirkstad    -- 06-20-2018 @ 10:25 AM
  Thank you TomO for the link and information,I will give it to the gentleman with the 35 this weekend at the next local show.It is all confusing to me as my 36 is stock.I can only gather that he needs to use the wide pulley (rt) truck pumps with the mount adapters.I'm not sure what pumps he is using now,but it looked like they were sticking out rather far and they bolted to his stock frame mounts which surprised me.I don't know what the mount adapters do but I take it that's what you need to use the( rt) pumps.Hopefully he will join the club and get on the forum himself.He is doing a great job on restoring his car given the pictures of what he had to start with.
Thank's again
Frank

GK1918    -- 06-21-2018 @ 4:07 AM
  Many years ago I also put a 8BA in my 36 4dr all I remember all went
well but had to play a fan game. Don't remember what fan but was
mounted on the generator. I know it was not a Ford fan. So it is
doable...sam

GK1918    -- 06-21-2018 @ 4:11 AM
  Many yrs ago I also put a 8BA in my 36 4dr with no problems. I remember playing the fan game. All I know I mounted fan on the generator and
It was not a Ford fan maybe a Studebaker or something, so it is doable.
sam

GK1918    -- 06-21-2018 @ 4:12 AM
  Sorry for double post I don't know how to delete them...sam

kirkstad    -- 06-21-2018 @ 5:29 AM
  Thank you for the reply GK1918. Great looking sedan by the way.

fwjrodv8    -- 06-28-2018 @ 7:45 PM
  I am considering of putting a 49 Merc. in my 34 coupe but plan to use the 46 water pumps, heads and a cr*p cap distributor due to the tight space. Plan to use an electric fan if I can't fit the fan. Has anyone seen this done?
A second question: when you place an 8BA engine in a 32 thru 38, do you set the engine level by using the intake deck as means to get the engine level?

wmsteed    -- 07-04-2018 @ 1:25 PM
  To reply to my earlier posting about an 8BA engine in an early Ford...
The Merc/truck water pump mounts do not line up with the holes in the frame cross-member and the engine sits lower in the front, therefore being out of level. The '49-50 Merc spacer blocks raise the engine and the bolt holes in the spacer block are off-set, which allows for the stock EFV8 motor mount bolts to come straight up to the lower hole in the spacer, then an additional bolt is attached to the ear on the water pump.
I think most guys try to force one bolt through the motor mount and the water-pump which would tend to pull the engine forward. Since there is not provision on an 8BA type of engine for the stabilizer rods, there is nothing to restrain the engine to the rear, unless a fixture is made to attach the original rods to the engine.. I think most guys just omit them.
I have attach a pix of a stock application of 8CM engine in a '49-50 Merc.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kirkstad    -- 07-04-2018 @ 2:11 PM
  Thank you for the information regarding the spacer blocks Bill,now I know why they are needed.I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Frank

wmsteed    -- 07-05-2018 @ 6:24 AM
  I have attached a second pix of the 8BA engine in my friends truck. If the pix is carefully reviewed, one can note the misalignment of the rear bolt through the water pump ear.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

kirkstad    -- 07-05-2018 @ 12:23 PM
  Thank's again Bill,but I think the gentleman with the 35 coupe may still have a issue installing a mechanical fan due to the slant of his radiator.I'm not sure, but the radiator on a truck maybe more straight up and down as apposed to a car.However,with the merc. pumps and spacers it may work.The pumps he is using now bolt to his existing mounts,and I see by your latest picture the spacers will lift up and move back the engine,which will give a little more room.
Thanks
Frank

42oink    -- 07-19-2018 @ 12:00 PM
  Greetings, It seems we did all these changes as kids, and now can't remember how we did 'em! I think the spacers were used above the engine mounts to get the fan in line with the radiator. Is this considered to be "hopping up" an old Ford? Omigosh! The purists must be seeing red. Be careful guys! 42oink

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=12014