Topic: stromberg 97 carbs

cliftford    -- 02-22-2017 @ 4:32 PM
  I never really got into hot rodding the flathead v8s,but I've always wondered: why is the stromberg 97 the carb. of choice especially in multi carb. applications? In what ways are they better that the ford and holley carbs. of the late 30s and 40s?

ken ct.    -- 02-22-2017 @ 5:30 PM
  In my opinion their a simpler carb. NO rubber diaphragm power valve and all kits I know of come with a leather accelerator pump, all that needs changing is the rubber tipped inlet needle for an all steel one. I would rather rebuild 1 Stromberg than do 3 ford-holleys. OMO. ken ct. Its the core prices that inflate the cost of Stroms. Not so much if you already have a core that's rebuildable.

Stroker    -- 02-23-2017 @ 1:53 PM
  Another reason for the fondness of 97's on the part of Hot Rodder's, is the ease in re-jetting without having to "open-up" the carb.

On modified multi-carb engines; the use of racing fuels and widely variable operating conditions often require frequent main-jet changes.

A Stromberg can be re-jetted with just a "jet-wrench" through the access ports on the lower corner of the float bowl. In additon, replacing the float needle and seat can be done from "outside" the carb.

This message was edited by Stroker on 2-23-17 @ 7:07 PM

Stroker    -- 02-23-2017 @ 2:07 PM
  In addition, the "adjustable linkage" on the Stromberg's accelerator pump allows you to sort of "dial-in" the amount of fuel being delivered to the spray bars when the throttle is quickly-opened, as it often IS during racing.

Moving the the lower linkage socket on the accelerator pump operating rod to the "Winter"-position" ball on the pump operating rod, will often provide sufficient "enrichment" needed to overcome the loss of venturi airflow velocity due to multi-carbs opening at the same time.

Without adequate velocity; the venturae cannot deliver adequate fuel.

This often helps compensate for the momentary lack of fuel flow upon acceleration, that results from inadequate airflow through the venturae on multi-carb installations.

This message was edited by Stroker on 2-23-17 @ 7:29 PM

ken ct.    -- 02-26-2017 @ 3:55 AM
  Also in that line Stroker there are 2 diff. lengths of those rods , most of the times when rebuilding these Stroms you will find the shorter of the 2. I install the longer one on all Stroms. I do. They run better. That includes 48's , 97's and even the 81's all get the longer ones. I'll sell most of the short ones I have if your interested for real cheap $$$. LOL ken ct. Also connect to the "W" ball on the bottom the top fulcrum lever is also adjustable by bending up or down. ken ct.

This message was edited by ken ct. on 2-26-17 @ 6:40 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10536