Topic: 1950 F-1 Pickup Bed

34Brewster    -- 12-17-2021 @ 3:23 PM
  I am near paint time on my bed reconstruction. I am installing a new metal bed floor. I need to know if the ORIGINAL metal floor was painted body color? If not, what was it? My truck is Meadow Green, and I believe it is original paint. The bed floor doesn't show any sign of green paint. But, no signs of black and maybe a slight sign of silver. It does have a lot of wear but I doubt that it was NEVER painted. I would like an answer based on facts rather than preferences! THANKS. Don

Visit us at www.brewstercars.com

rawlir    -- 12-17-2021 @ 6:47 PM
  I BELIEVE your bed color would have been body color. I BELIEVE 38/39 thru 1952 pickup boxes were the same depending on whether 1/2 ton or Tonner models. Rear fenders & tailgates changed in this period. I have seen many 1/2 tons over the years, never seen one that had what i thought was original any color that did not match. I have never seen any Ford written material which would lead to a different color. Tonners had body color skid strips that matched body color. My expertise is with 42 to 47 years. 48 & up MIGHT be different, I doubt it, check with EFV8 judges would be one place to check.
Good luck!

f1ford48    -- 02-12-2022 @ 2:25 PM
  The beds were assembled completely with out fenders and painted completely including floor in body color.

1940 Tom    -- 03-21-2022 @ 8:29 AM
  Good Morning--

Gentlemen, I have never owned a 1950 Ford pickup. But I did a little research online for you. My fellow members are correct. The 1950 pickup bed is/was all steel manufacture, including a metal floor, and the entire bed assembly was painted body color.

Things changed the following year. 1951 Ford pickups had a wood floor in the bed, but the rest of the assembly was painted body color.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from other Club members who are actual owners of a similar vehicle to yours, with further assistance.

Good luck with your project.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=15362