Topic: 1936 Ford truck suspension drop

Bonafide 36    -- 06-14-2020 @ 8:22 AM
  Hi, I am dropping my suspension on my 1936 Ford truck. It has the original leaf configuration and rear axle. I installed a 4” drop front axle and I am wondering how much drop in the rear would go well with the 4” drop in the front. Also I am looking for advise on the best way to do this. I was thinking reversing the spring eyes and removing a couple leafs but I don’t think that will drop it enough.. I am trying to keep the mechanical brakes but have updated the shocks to tube style shocks.
Thanks!

CharlieStephens    -- 06-14-2020 @ 12:36 PM
  This site deals primarily with stock vehicles. You might have better response by posting here: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/the-hokey-ass-message-board.5/ Having said that, if I knew the answer I would give it to you. Best of luck.

Charlie Stephens

trjford8    -- 06-15-2020 @ 6:46 AM
  I don't think you can keep the mechanical brakes with a dropped axle. Also your drop will not be 4". Your original axle already has a natural drop of about 2" so your drop with the 4" axle will only be about 2". You can drop another 1" in the front with a reverse leaf eye on the front spring. If your pickup is not completely finished you need to get all the parts on it(motor, trans, Sheetmetal, radiator, fenders, etc.) You need all the weight on the chassis and then determine how low you need to go. Attached is a photo of my '40 that I just lowered. again I didn't do anything until all the weight was on the chassis.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 6-15-20 @ 6:51 AM

Bonafide 36    -- 06-16-2020 @ 3:07 AM
  Ok thanks, I will give that a try!

Bonafide 36    -- 06-16-2020 @ 3:12 AM
  I was able to keep the mechanical brakes on the front by heating and bending the perch bolts to line up with the brake lever mount holes, I also had to heat and bend the levers a bit so the rods cleared but looks like it will work as it originally did.
Thanks for the advise!

wmsteed    -- 07-27-2020 @ 9:48 AM
  I wonder? why in the world would you want to keep the mechanical brakes?
In the following I'll describe how I lowered my '36 Ford coupe which is not the much different than a pickup.
I used a '41 front axle with a 2" drop with a '41 spring and stock short shackles. My steering gear box is a '40 with a '40 mass jacket, (column shift) '47-48 , 28 tooth trans,
pitman arm 21-A3590-3 o15. '40 Ford.. Tube shock conversion with short shocks to clear the '36 fenders, Everything a bolt together application.
Rear suspension: My car came with a Columbia two speed O/D.. Did not care for the early Columbia so I secured a '47-48 Columbia. I disassembled the rear end, used the '47-48 Columbia w/'47-48 axles and axle housings bolted to the '36 center section, used '37-38 radius bars on the '36 torque tube, '47-48 spring, sway bar, tube shocks on 47-48 mounts. The complete rear assembly is a bolt together application, no cutting or welding.
The car drives perfectly and has a very nice stance, as you can note from the attached pix.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=13907