Topic: hydrostatic gasket

Big35    -- 01-27-2020 @ 9:37 AM
  Does anyone have a source for a hydrostatic gasket for a 1935 model 51 Ford truck.? This is mounted on the bottom of the tank and drips constantly. Advice on a good gasket material to use would be helpful as well as dimensions and drawing of this gasket.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-31-2020 @ 10:55 AM
  HI
you sure the sending unit is on the bottom ?
never saw that before, can you post a photo?
check your V8 TIMES for advertising,
you would think the VINTAGE FORD aftermarket vendors, have these for sale, try getting a few catalogs,
this might help. it is a simple gasket, I know that they fit many years, 1930's 1950's
NAPA sell just gasket material, many different kind, if you want to make your own
1937RAGTOPMAN my 2 cents

Big35    -- 02-02-2020 @ 12:46 PM
  Thanks for your reply 37Ragtopman. My '35 is a 1 1/2 ton and the fuel tank is under the seat. Both the shut off valve and sending unit are mounted on the bottom of the tank. I've had no luck locating a vendor with the needed gasket. The ones I ordered are too small and are probably for a top mounted hydrostatic unit. I made gaskets out of gasket paper and they leak. What gasket material and or sealant would you recommend to use as they will be exposed to gas directly?

alanwoodieman    -- 02-02-2020 @ 6:21 PM
  I found sheets of neoprene gasket material at auto zone--they did not even know they had it , that will work on gas

nelsb01    -- 02-02-2020 @ 8:44 PM
  There has to be a hobby store that still sells cork.
That is what I would use. And then use some type of gasket sealer that doesnt disolve by gasoline.

Big35    -- 02-05-2020 @ 9:43 AM
  Thanks for all your suggestions. I made gaskets from Auto Zone gasket paper and neoprene materials with leaks from both. I did not use a sealant with either. I decided to not use the hydrostatic sending unit and made a 1/4" steel plate instead. I used Permatex Gasket Maker sealant with the plate and am letting the sealant cure prior to adding gas to the tank. I'm hoping this will solve the leaking fuel problem.

TomO    -- 02-06-2020 @ 6:59 AM
  The gasket should be made from a cork based material that is available in the Felpro Gasket Material Part # 3060.

This package is available in most auto parts stores. If they do not have it in stock, they can order it.

I noticed that your mounting screws go all the way through the bottom of the tank. You will have to use a good sealer on the threads or they will leak. The newer formulations of gas find leaks where the mid 20th Century gas would not leak.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 02-06-2020 @ 8:54 AM
  Here are two different sealants that you can try. If you ever want to remove the sending unit or other item that you are trying to seal, use Permatex #2 non-hardening sealant. Use a cork gasket and coat both sides of it before installing. Be sure to coat the threads of each of the screws with Permatex #2 before installing them into the tank. If you want a totally leak free installation but one that will be harder to undo, use an epoxy product like J-B Weld.

Big35    -- 02-06-2020 @ 9:52 AM
  After letting the gasket maker cure for a couple of days, I added gas to check for leaks. The bolt hole bores do not seem to be open ended but somehow gas did seep around the brass washers and gasket. This time I did used the sealant (gasket maker) on the threads and washers to hopefully seal. I will let you know the results and thanks again for the help.

TomO    -- 02-06-2020 @ 10:35 AM
  I have seen 2 types of sending unit flanges on the gas tanks. The most common one has a flange soldered to the tank with the holes only in the flange. To make sure that you get a good seal with that type, the solder must be around the bottom inside of the flange, to keep the fuel from reaching the screw threads.

To seal it without soldering, you can put a fuel safe sealer like Seal All or Pematex type 1 RTV around the inner lip of the opening and let it cure before installing the sending unit. Then put a small dab of Permatex #2 in each of the screw holes with a toothpick, install the unit with Permatx #2 on the screw threads.

If you have the other type where the mounting is directly to the tank and the threads of the holes go through to the tank, you will have to find a way to seal the bottom of the holes.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-06-2020 @ 1:37 PM
  HI
what it the history of the truck, something you just bought ? someone else restored it, ?

you could try a fuel pump diaphragm for a gasket,[ might be close to the size you need,] with a little ingenuity
you could make one,
hope this helps, 1937RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 2-6-20 @ 1:45 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-07-2020 @ 7:29 AM
  BIG 35
to make a permanent repair,on your gas tank leak'
take the tank out and clean the tank , so no dirt is in it,
remove all the parts,
make a gasket for the leaking fixture,. use some of the gas tank sealer, on the gasket and the treads on the bolts,
reinstall , now duck tape all the hole except one,
get some GAS TANK SEALER, pour it in, now seal that hole with duck tape, and slosh it all over the inside of tank
follow instructions. on the label
let it dry for a week, in the sun it will dry quicker,
THIS will fit any pin holes and will seal what is leaking,
I did this more than once and never had a problem.,
hope this helps 1937RAGTOPMAN use the gas tank sealer for modern gas,

Big35    -- 02-09-2020 @ 7:32 AM
  The tank was cleaned and sealed by a local radiator shop 2 years ago. I made a paper gasket from gasket paper without sealant and installed the sending unit. The leaks then were minor and I put up with them or ran the truck until the gas was used up. Lately when driving around the neighborhood I noticed the leaks getting worse. I then removed the tank and tested several other gasket options that I stated earlier. Now the take with the gasket maker sealant is holding the gas. I will be installing it back in the truck this week and hopefully this will be the end. On to other truck repairs. Thanks again fellow flatheads.

Big35    -- 02-12-2020 @ 5:55 AM
  By using a blank off to replace the hydrostatic sender, will this create a non-venting/fuel starvation problem? The gas cap appears to be non vented type.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 02-12-2020 @ 8:01 AM
  BIG35
I would reseal RESEAL the tank, with gas tank sealer, this is after you reinstall the plate were it is leaking,
sealing from the inside, I think is what I would do, this will seal , the treads of the screws and the gaskets from the inside, completely !!!
hope this helps 1937RAGTOPMAN

Big35    -- 02-13-2020 @ 12:03 PM
  Thanks 37

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=13559