Topic: Paint - as seen from under vehicle

jameson5938    -- 05-07-2018 @ 7:44 PM
  What color(s) would be seen from UNDER the 37 Ford Pickup? Is the bottom of the cab the same as the entire cab? Is the bottom of the bed the same as the bed color or black?

James A. Westbrook

nelsb01    -- 05-07-2018 @ 9:51 PM
  I have taken 2 1936 Pickups apart. Bottom had body color on the underside of the cab.
Attached is a photo of the bottom of an original 1936 Ford Pickup box. The pickup was painted vermillion red.
Although faded, you can see that the wood was at one time red.

jameson5938    -- 05-08-2018 @ 8:44 AM
  Thanks SO MUCH for that info. So basically - everything as seen from underneath was red on yours? I am considering Vermillion Red and Poppy Red. Any suggestions or thoughts? I have had mine for 10 years, but unable financially to do the full restoration. I have purchased MANY parts and believe I am now ready to finish it out!!! I may pick your brain again in the future!!
Thanks!!!
James

James A. Westbrook

nelsb01    -- 05-08-2018 @ 11:04 AM
  Be glad to help if I can.
On the one that I am restoring, research was found that said that all the wood was treated with wood preservative. (a dark color)

So, when we painted the bottom of the bed, we made sure all the metal areas were color painted and then did a "over-spray" on to the wood.

jameson5938    -- 05-11-2018 @ 1:21 AM
  Can you make a copy of that documentation so I can have it for MY records?
westbrook4133@att.net
James Westbrook

James A. Westbrook

nelsb01    -- 05-11-2018 @ 6:05 AM
  The picture I attached is a good example of my research.
If you are thinking that there was a actual factory letter-- no, I do not have one.

I would defer to Don Rogers if you are looking for factory information. He may have found something as he has been doing 1935-1936 research for many years.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=11897