Topic: Flywheel and clutch

oldfords    -- 03-26-2023 @ 7:48 AM
  Let me say that I don't know much about fords prior to 1954 and almost nothing about flat heads. I picked up a 1948 mercury from a barn where it had been since 1961. After reading about possible cracks in the blocks, I pulled the engine and set it aside for later. I then heard about a guy who built flatheads for hot rods. I went to talk to him only to find he had passed away. I purchased a 8BA engine cheap from his widow, and she gave me his notes on the engine.
It has a 4" crank, bored to 3 3/8 and has 7" rods. The crank and rods have been polished and balanced. It has a high volume oil pump. It has 8RT water pumps. It has a ISKY 400 JR cam with solid adjustable lifters, and Ross racing pistons. His notes state that the engine was never in a car but was run 3 hours on the test stand. It had no heads or intake when I purchased it. Now my problem.
I want to put this in my merc and use the existing 3 speed trans and running gear. I purchased a cast bell housing and starter plate on this forum so that should work. The wear on the 8BA flywheel measures 10" but I think the flywheel bolt holes are for a 91/2 in PP. I am attaching some pictures ot the flywheel and of the PP from my original engine. My original engine has a 10" clutch disk but different hole spacing. Can you help me get a clutch and PP to work with my existing 3 speed. I have a 13/8 10 spline input shaft. Notice the one tooth on the engine side of the flywheel. It looks like some kind of a timing or line up mark.
I guess I will also need to do something about an oil pan, but that will be after this is decided.

thanks

TomO    -- 03-27-2023 @ 2:51 PM
  From the Ford Barn:

An 8BA 9 ½” clutch flywheel measures 3" C/C between the paired holes and 7 ½ "

apart. An 8BA 10” clutch flywheel measures 3 1/8” C/C between the paired holes and 7 7/8” apart.

They're close, so be careful with measuring.

It looks like your flywheel is drilled for the 9 1/2" clutch.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 3-27-23 @ 3:01 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=16316