Topic: crankcase odor when driving

bigd1101    -- 06-12-2021 @ 9:39 AM
  I have a 53 Merc Monterey I just bought. Great running car, burns no oil, no smoke, but I get that oil smell when driving. The breather tube I think, is where it vents, is near the fresh air intake , or at least the previous owner said that the intake is at the bottom of the car. No cowl vent like on some other cars I've had.

My question is......is that how this smell is getting into the car cab and if so, can I filter the vent or maybe extend it past the fresh air intake, or is the intake some other place on this car?

Don

carcrazy    -- 06-12-2021 @ 10:35 AM
  If your '53 Mercury is like a '53 Ford, the fresh air and heater air inlets are located behind the grill at the front of the car. If you are smelling the blowby from the crankcase ventilation system, one or more of the hoses connecting the fresh air inlet to the vehicle passenger compartment may have failed.

bigd1101    -- 06-12-2021 @ 11:02 AM
  I'll take a look......are the intake hoses easy to identify?

bigd1101    -- 06-12-2021 @ 12:05 PM
  The vent "tubes" are all metal with no leaks, cracks or holes, but, the inside firewall vent doors were shut. I opened them up and will take a ride to see if that airs out the car while driving and alleviate the smell. It's coming from somewhere and I hope that is it. The car engine is tight with no leaks or where oil would drip on a hot service, so I don't think that is the source....

Don

carcrazy    -- 06-12-2021 @ 2:29 PM
  On the '52-'54 Fords there are two "Air Duct Ventilator Connector Rubbers" Part No. BA-7001878-C that connect the ducts from the front of the car to the ducts leading into the passenger compartment. These rubber connectors are located inside of each front fender, just below the top of the fender. They deteriorate rather quickly so it is quite likely that they are allowing under hood air into the passenger compartment.

TomO    -- 06-13-2021 @ 10:14 AM
  Here is the diagram of the 1952-1953 Mercury Ventilating system. You should be able to find the leak by examining the parts in the diagram.

You should also check the breather cap on the fill tube and the the road draft tube that comes from the intake manifold. Make sure that all of the parts are in place and that they are clean and are not obstructed in any manner.

Here is a diagram of the oil ventilating system

Tom

1931 Flamingo    -- 06-13-2021 @ 12:15 PM
  You might also consider installing a PVC device.
Paul in CT

bigd1101    -- 06-14-2021 @ 3:10 AM
  Thanks everyone.....I'll check all that was mentioned.

Don

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=14912