Topic: 39 Mercury no start issues

39mercury    -- 12-07-2020 @ 7:13 AM
  In the past few months I have serviced several components on my 39 Merc. It started with a leaking fuel pump. I installed a new pump plus a new carb and a coil and condenser from Skip Haney. I also corrected a problem with stalling by replacing my non-vented fuel cap with a vented one. Also spent some time and elbow grease cleaning and detailing the engine compartment. The car started and ran great. Today I tried to start it the engine cranks but will not fire. The only part I recently replaced is the Battery. I also replaced the braided positive ground to body cable with a more modern solid cable. No time today to troubleshoot but since I smell fuel in the carb, should I start with putting back on the braided cable? The next item could be the of/on switch? I originally posted this in the Ford forum and the response from CarCrazy confirmed my suspicion about not replacing my positive cable with a braided one was a mistake! I have not replaced it yet but plan to later today and will see what happens. Any other comments or advice is always appreciated. Thanks

1931 Flamingo    -- 12-07-2020 @ 7:37 AM
  If you're still 6 volts make sure the batt cables you replace are not 12Volt cables. Make sure ALL batt connections are clean and tight.
Paul in CT

39mercury    -- 12-07-2020 @ 8:43 AM
  Thanks Paul. I had a dumb ass attack and forgot to remember that 6V systems draw more AMPS! I am going to put the braided cable back on tonight when I get home and I think she will start. I will let you know what the result is.

Thanks,

Steve in Indianapolis Indiana area.

39 Ken    -- 12-08-2020 @ 4:58 AM
  That is a sweet looking Mercury.
As Paul mentioned, be sure that the
battery cables are heavy 6 volt rated
construction. If they are, there is no need
to go back to the braided cable other
than for authenticity. Since your battery
has been replaced, make sure that you have
wired it positive ground. I use 00 braided
cable in place of all battery cables.

Run a wire directly from the negative post
to the coil and see if it will start. This will
bypass the on/off switch.

Otherwise, you may have simply flooded the engine.
Ken

TomO    -- 12-08-2020 @ 8:39 AM
  Grounding straps are braided to keep the electrons happy. The braided straps have more conductors for the electrons to travel on allowing for more current to travel in the circuit. I would get a new grounding strap if yours is ugly.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 12-25-2020 @ 1:36 PM
  If it cranks, it has nothing to do with the battery cables, unless you have those small gauge 12volt cables on the battery. They can reduce the amps/volts getting to the starter and make it turn over slower.
The best way to find the problem is to have a friend crank it while you hold a plug wire about 1/8th of an inch from the top of a spark plug to see if you have spark. If you have a starter relay with the button on the botom, you can crank and check for spark by yourself.
If you have a good spark at the plug, you could put about 2 oz. of gas or laquer thinner down the throat of the carb and see if it starts then. Good Luck!!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=14388