Topic: Identification

JKrieger1976    -- 05-11-2018 @ 5:45 PM
  Hi again everyone. I went to title and license my 39 Mercury today. Because it originated from out of state it had to be “inspected” by a sheriff. The sheriff rejected the inspection because he could not find the Vin. I have read that there is supposed to be a number between the crossmember and the fire wall, but can not find it. Do any of you have a picture that you could show me of where it’s located? Thanks!

ken ct.    -- 05-11-2018 @ 5:53 PM
  Their not all in exactly the same place,but its on or near the steering box its there look again clean area of paint and grime you will find it. ken ct

JKrieger1976    -- 05-12-2018 @ 1:01 PM
  Thanks Ken. I’ll look as soon as I can figure out how to get this hood open! It’s like Fort Knox. Thanks for the help.

JKrieger1976    -- 05-12-2018 @ 4:55 PM
  Ken,
The only number I could find after a ton of degreasing is below. Does it look like this could be it?
H267 0 or 9 3. ?

JKrieger1976    -- 05-12-2018 @ 5:02 PM
  Another angle

39 Ken    -- 05-13-2018 @ 4:38 AM
  If the number placement is like the Ford, and I think it is, look along the top of
left hand frame rail. The number should be located close to the front cross member in the area of the big rivet head and back toward the steering box. Some times the number is very faint and care must be taken to clean that area so as to not destroy it.
The number you have pictured is probably a foundry number and has no association with the serial number

This message was edited by 39 Ken on 5-13-18 @ 4:39 AM

TomO    -- 05-14-2018 @ 7:03 AM
  The numbers that you are showing are on the engine block. The serial number is stamped, not cast, on the left frame member between the front cross-member and the front body mount. The one on my 40 Mercury is stamped between the front cross-member and the horn mounting bracket. There is enough paint on my chassis so that you really have to look hard to see the starting * 99. To see the rest of the number would require removing the paint.

Here is a photo of it, you can barely see the numbers

Tom

ken ct.    -- 05-14-2018 @ 9:00 AM
  Your looking in the wrong place. Its on the frame itself and as Tom said their stamped in ,NOT raised #'s like you show.

JKrieger1976    -- 05-29-2018 @ 7:26 PM
  Hi Tom, I found it, and took it back to the DMV, and this time it failed inspection because the headlights aren't working. I assume its the fuse or the bulbs are just burned out, but that's the next thing to figure out. Thank you for your picture, it helped to locate my id #

TomO    -- 05-30-2018 @ 6:35 AM
  I am glad that you are on the way to registering your car and you are always welcome to any help that I or others on this forum can give you.

Try operating the dimmer switch many times and then try your head lights. The dimmer switch does not get used much and the contacts corrode, preventing the lights from working. Operating the switch cleans the contacts and your lights will work again.

If that doesn't work, come back for a trouble shooting plan to isolate the problem, using a voltmeter.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 5-30-18 @ 6:37 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=11910