Topic: 1935 barely turns over

eli33    -- 10-18-2021 @ 7:54 AM
  Dad's car always started easily but since I got it 10 years ago, it seems to turn over more slowly each year. Checked all connections, new Interstate battery, tested starter motor but nothing helped. Do the foot starter switches go bad.

All help appreciated. Runs like a top after it starts.

TomO    -- 10-18-2021 @ 8:28 AM
  Yes the foot switches do go bad. To check yours, you can connect your volt meter Com lead to the NEG battery post and the + lead to the starter. Push on the switch with the ignition OFF. Read the voltage on the meter while pushing on the switch. The meter should read 0.3V or less. If it is more, the switch is probably bad.

Is this car a Ford or a Lincoln? They do make reproduction switches for the Ford, but not for the Lincoln.

Tom

eli33    -- 10-18-2021 @ 5:39 PM
  This helps. Much appreciate the guidance. Dad knew so much and I know so little.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-20-2021 @ 7:08 AM

If you want ,you could convert the foot starter to a push button starter,
using a 1937 and later 6 volt starter solenoid,
like that was used in 1937 and later
this would also test the starter motor system. to see if the starter is getting lazy,
did you try using electric motive spray on the commutator, cleaning it,
I would send the starter out and have it rebuilt, maybe starter brushes worn down, ?
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

Rockfla    -- 10-20-2021 @ 12:28 PM
  First.....Are you sure your new battery is good....you need to check it with a Hydrometer and NOT a VO meter to make sure all three cells are up to snuff. IF interesate is like NAPA, Advanced Auto and ORiely's we went through about 3 batteries from each one and ALL were NO good. FINALLY one of the attendants at O'Riely's called the main supply warehouse and had someone look at all the 6V battery dates and find the "ABSOLUTE" newest date he could find and send it. Once you have determined you are working with a good strong battery (6.3 volts) THEN I would pull all the wires relating to starting the car, clean all the ends and subsequent attachment points to good clean shinny metal, coat them with some di electric grease and re attach them. THEN see how it starts.....IF it is still starting slow then you can start with your start button/switch and work your way to the starter. That is my $ .02 worth.

eli33    -- 10-23-2021 @ 12:35 PM
  Good call.

Took my almost new Interstate battery to NAPA and watched as it read 6.3v but only 130 cranking amps.

Replaced it with one of theirs since Interstate's only have a 6 mo warranty and when i hit the starter switch, it popped off like it was new.

It bothers me not a whit that experienced guys here might laugh at my blunder because now this starts like it did when dad had it. I'm sure he would forgive me because he loved old V8 Ford's and especially this 35 Convertible Sedan.

Thanks for your guys, one and all.

TomO    -- 10-24-2021 @ 10:17 AM
  Glad you got it starting, now how about posting a photo of it? I would enjoy seeing your car.

Tom

Rockfla    -- 10-25-2021 @ 5:36 AM
  NOW, invest in a battery Hydrometer. They are not very expensive, you can get a good one for maybe $20 most. Then you can always check ANY battery not only at purchase time BUT IF you need to recharge yours you can check and make sure your not wasting time and energy on a "dead" battery!!! AS a reminder EACH cell accounts for about 2.1 volts SO you had two dead cells. You got lucky as we tried three of NAPA's battery and ALL three were "BAD"

This message was edited by Rockfla on 10-25-21 @ 5:40 AM

eli33    -- 10-26-2021 @ 6:30 PM
  It wasn't all luck. Our local NAPA is quite thorough. Before I left the counter, "Bob" said "let's check this one to make sure it's good."

eli33    -- 10-27-2021 @ 5:49 PM
  Dad's car (I lost him in '06) is back on the road. We put about 100 miles on it today in cool, Ohio weather. I am now the age dad was when he bought it, then about 75% restored.

He eloped in 1944 in his Marine brother's 35 Ford 4-door. He wanted a
an early V8 for 50 years before he broke down and bought this one. I have tried to be a good steward of it.

Rockfla    -- 10-28-2021 @ 5:10 AM
  Glad to hear AND see you enjoying your V8 Ford. I guess it depends on the NAPA store and its level of help. I think the larger the city (and thus the store) the smaller the help and concern

TomO    -- 10-28-2021 @ 6:54 AM
  Thanks for posting a photo. That is a sweet looking Ford. I am glad that you were able to solve the problem and have been able to take the car for a ride before winter sets in.

You will get better and faster responses to your concerns if you post them in General Ford Discussion instead of General Lincoln Discussion.

Tom

eli33    -- 10-28-2021 @ 3:34 PM
  Good advice. I noticed my mistake later. True rookie.

Today we removed the crossover pipe and replaced the gasket. I actually thought asphyxiation just went along with old cars because i was used to it.

What a difference in sound and said quality.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=15&Topic=15226