Topic: Transverse Spring Lubrication

keekeeboy    -- 02-20-2024 @ 10:06 AM
  My original owner's manual emphatically states that regular lubricating grease should not be used on the springs but you should instead use Ford spring lubricant M-4628. What is acceptable to use these days ? My car is a Sedan Deluxe 1940. Thanks guys.

ford38v8    -- 02-20-2024 @ 12:37 PM
  Fifth wheel grease is what you want. The original lubricant had asbestos in it.

Alan

JayChicago    -- 02-21-2024 @ 7:47 AM
  No!!
Needs to be some very thin lubricant that will run down between the spring leafs.

Someone in the past used chassis grease or something thick on my springs, now has hardened in there and the zerk won’t take any thing.

carcrazy    -- 02-21-2024 @ 9:50 AM
  I found this on the internet:

"In 1936 Ford introduced a fitting and oil grooves in the leaves to be lubricated with "spring" lube, which was ice machine oil(77%), talc, and a dash of ground asbestos, talc is a dry lubricant and polishing agent, ice machine oil is about the consistency of auto trans fluid----
Since I have been lubricating the springs with ATF the ride has improved, handling on rough roads better, tires are staying on the road --- good trade off for perhaps less spring life."

kubes40    -- 02-21-2024 @ 2:15 PM
  I use STP oil treatment now that I have run dry the pail of Ford spring lubricant purchased decades ago.
Grease is a big "no no".

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

40 Coupe    -- 02-22-2024 @ 8:11 AM
  5th wheel lube is also a suggestion, can be found at truck stops or parts stores.

alanwoodieman    -- 02-22-2024 @ 7:12 PM
  5th wheel lube is sticky but will not run down the springs to lube them unless you take them apart. synthetic chassis grease will not harden and does work

keekeeboy    -- 03-03-2024 @ 9:34 PM
  How do you go about getting the ATF into the spring ? Thanks, Kenny C

kubes40    -- 03-05-2024 @ 5:56 AM
  Grease gun works.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-11-2024 @ 4:00 PM

this is what , they used back in the day,
GULFTEX GRAPHITE SPRING GREASE,
I think you can make this with grease has water repel and some graphite powder and mix them
together and put in a special grease gun just for springs,
JOHN DEER DEALERS, sell this grease for tractors.
hope this helps 37 Ragtopman, Maine

gwistrup    -- 03-23-2024 @ 3:38 PM
  How do you put the liquid STP into a grease gun? Do you have a special cartridge to hold the STP so it won't run out the back and sides? If you are going to lube an old spring that has hardened grease in it, I assume you have to disassemble the spring and start over. Is it still preferred to use a product like STP to initially lube the spring leaves?

kubes40    -- 03-23-2024 @ 3:41 PM
  If your grease gun is in good condition and of good quality, the STP will not get beyond the internal seals.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

ford38v8    -- 03-23-2024 @ 4:49 PM
  Going back to my first post, I called it Fifth Wheel Grease, which it is not. It is Fifth Wheel Lube as others have said, which does not freeze, dry out, or change consistency. For this reason, it is excellent for cable brake cables within their sheathes, and as leaf spring lube, usually requiring disassembly , which allows the dressing of worn spots on the leaves also. The alternative to disassembly is to separate leaves from each other using devices that were sold specifically for the purpose. The center zerk fitting was a novel idea, but never really worked as intended because the lube would squirt out between the leaves before it ever got near the ends.

Alan

kubes40    -- 03-23-2024 @ 6:25 PM
  I agree with you Alan.
It was not a very good design in my opinion. And the first time someone pumped grease in there, well, that was "it".

When I do a full restoration, I use NOS springs and when they are disassembled and individually finished, I place a smooth coat of fifth wheel grease between each leaf.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16924