Topic: Access to Radio antenna plug in to radio

classiclover    -- 07-22-2023 @ 11:03 AM
  Do you experts know where the antenna plug in to radio is and is it accessible w/o removing the radio
Thanks again

Dale

kubes40    -- 07-22-2023 @ 11:10 AM
  The antenna "plugs" directly into the radio body. Note in the attached photo the "nut" at the top-center of the radio? That's where the antenna is fitted.

The radio is installed prior to the antenna so yes, the antenna can be removed or installed without removing the radio.
While you did not mention whether you are working on a closed car or a convertible, the antennas, while configured differently respective of model, fit to the radio the same way.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

classiclover    -- 07-22-2023 @ 12:17 PM
  Thanks Mike, Can I access the plug in from the top of the dash . The radio comes on, but I do not get any reception. The car is a 40 deluxe coupe

kubes40    -- 07-22-2023 @ 12:51 PM
  Yes. There is a special adapter "nut" that threads into the radio. Carpenter sells them. He also sells the antenna kits.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1940 Tom    -- 07-22-2023 @ 4:32 PM
  I'm always happy to help my best buddy, Mike.

Photos attached showing the antenna nut installation that he is talking about.

Hope these help you.

Tom

classiclover    -- 07-23-2023 @ 4:59 AM
  Thanks much gents

Dale

RAK402    -- 07-23-2023 @ 12:23 PM
  Photo of the special, insulated adapter nut holding the radio in place from the top (note the rubber insulator visible at the top). The lower end/tip of the antenna goes into the center of the insulator to a metal contact inside-I can't remember if the contact that the tip of the antenna touches is inside the nut or if the insulator is a hollow pass through.

The nut supports the entire weight of the radio and grounds the radio case to the top of the dashboard (the two "J" shaped hooks with wing nuts at the bottom front of the radio hold it against the front of the instrument panel).

This message was edited by RAK402 on 7-23-23 @ 12:32 PM

1940 Tom    -- 07-23-2023 @ 12:44 PM
  Thanks for giving Dale those excellent instructions.

I'm sure they'll help.

Tom

classiclover    -- 07-24-2023 @ 7:52 AM
  Thanks you all for the excellent detailed input. I am in the process of trying to determine if the antenna is the culprit to no radio reception. thanks again guys

Dale

RAK402    -- 07-24-2023 @ 3:33 PM
  classiclover,

If the antenna is grounded to the body or radio case by accident, it will not work.

Also, with the car's engine off, can you hear the vibrator in the radio? On mine, you can hear it as a soft hum in the background while the radio is warming up (music played through the radio after it warms up or the car's engine running will tend to mask the sound, which is present all the time).

classiclover    -- 07-25-2023 @ 6:38 AM
  Thanks again I will check that out

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16567