Topic: Carb

40ConvertibleTony    -- 03-08-2023 @ 1:45 PM
  Appears I have leaking gas from the carb. Instead of rebuilding, has anyone used a more potent off the shelf carb? TIA

carcrazy    -- 03-08-2023 @ 3:13 PM
  The Ford/Holley carburetor is a great one. It has a center hung float which is great for maintaining proper fuel delivery while executing extreme vehicle cornering maneuvers and it was originally calibrated to perform properly on your engine. My recommendation would be to rebuild it or replace it with a new Holley 94 carburetor available from several of the parts vendors.

If you think you must replace it with a different type of 2V carburetor, Speedway Motors offers an adapter to use a Rochester 4-bolt carburetor on a
Ford 3-bolt intake manifold.

JayChicago    -- 03-09-2023 @ 8:45 AM
  Agree with CarCrazy

A more "potent" carb would be beneficial if the engine has been "built", and can then make use of more carburetor. Bigger carb on a stock engine serves no real purpose, and it can lead to drivability headaches.

40ConvertibleTony    -- 03-09-2023 @ 9:06 AM
  Thanks, going to have it rebuilt.

JayChicago    -- 03-09-2023 @ 10:38 AM
  Re rebuilding the carb, the following is a quote from a recent post by TomO (TomO is one of the recognized expeienced experts on here):

"IMHO Charley Schwendler ( cas5845@yahoo.com ) does the best job of rebuilding Early Ford carburetors. If your carburetor needs rebuilding, I suggest you make the investment and have him do the job for a trouble free carburetor."

Carcheologist    -- 03-09-2023 @ 5:46 PM
  Agree with the respondents here. You also have the "correct" carb for the '40 Ford - the 91-99 series carburetor came on your '40 from the factory. I have three of them and they do a great job for me. Let Charlie rebuild it.

40ConvertibleTony    -- 03-10-2023 @ 7:55 AM
  Thanks to all for the info, I'll reach out to Charlie.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16281