Topic: Columbia rear end

classiclover    -- 01-21-2023 @ 9:13 AM
  Gents

I was asked if my 40 had a columbia rear end today at a community car event. Any of you experts familiar with that or know why it would be so unique.

Classic lover

zeke3    -- 01-21-2023 @ 10:40 AM
  The Columbia rear axle is an aftermarket part that is a two speed overdrive axle that is very desirable. You can easily tell if the car has a Columbia by looking at the right side axle housing, a Columbia will have a large protrusion on the right axle housing near the center section of the rear axle. If the right axle housing looks the same as the left axle housing you don't have a Columbia rear axle.

classiclover    -- 01-21-2023 @ 12:10 PM
  Thanks much

Dale

kubes40    -- 01-21-2023 @ 12:58 PM
  Dale, I've attached two photographs of a Columbia installed to a '40 chassis I am working on.
They do make a rather impressive difference in the drivability of an old flathead Ford.
Necessary? Not really. Nice? You Betcha!

The Columbia was not offered by Ford for Ford vehicles in 1940. Rather, it was an after-market item. If memory serves, it serves about a 28% reduction in gearing (ratio) reduction.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 1-21-23 @ 1:06 PM

kubes40    -- 01-21-2023 @ 1:02 PM
  Dale, For comparison, here's a photo of a stock differential installed to another '40 I'm working on.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

40 Coupe    -- 01-24-2023 @ 4:55 AM
  The Ford factory did not install Columbia axles on the production line. It was possible to buy a Columbia from many of the dealers and they would either have the Columbia installed before the new owner picked up the car from the dealer or the dealer could have installed the Columbia. Even after the car was picked up from the dealer the Columbia could have been installed.
Columbia and Ford have a close relationship. A new Ford could be ordered and paid for at the local dealer and picked up at Ford in Dearborn with a Columbia installed. Ford would take the vehicle when it came off the production line to a Columbia dealer and have it installed before the car was picked up.
The Columbia was made by the Columbia Axle Co. in Cleveland, Ohio

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 1-24-23 @ 4:57 AM

kubes40    -- 01-24-2023 @ 5:18 AM
  40coupe, Where did you locate the documentation that a Ford dealer would install a Columbia into a '40 Ford?
I'd appreciate it if you would share that documentation.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 01-24-2023 @ 7:03 AM
  The Columbia was a factory installed accessory on the 1940 Mercury. It cost the dealer $55.78 factory installed and 66.78 if installed at the distributor.

A similar listing for the Ford was not with the price lists that I have.

Tom

kubes40    -- 01-24-2023 @ 8:22 AM
  Hi Tom,

I have NEVER seen a paper like yours that listed this "option" for a '40 Ford. I'd welcome such.
Ford discouraged dealers from selling after-market stuff back then. I do have letters to the effect. How well that was enforced? I have no clue.

Do you have a date on that sheet?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 1-24-23 @ 8:22 AM

TomO    -- 01-25-2023 @ 5:02 AM
  That sheet has no date. It was with the price list for 10/6/1939 from Kansas City Branch. It is the only sheet like this that I have seen. There was no corresponding list of accessory prices for the Ford or Lincoln Zephyr in the folder that I bought.

In 1978, I bought a file folder of 1940 literature from a guy in Peoria who was restoring a 1940 Mercury convertible. He said that he acquired it with a bunch of parts and catalogs he bought from a dealer in MO that was cleaning house.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 1-26-23 @ 9:38 AM

kubes40    -- 01-25-2023 @ 5:40 AM
  Thank you Tom.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=16195