Topic: '40 Waltham Speedometer

Carcheologist    -- 03-18-2022 @ 7:23 PM
  Found what appears to be an NOS Waltham speedo for '40 today at Chickasha Swap Meet. No visible signs of ever being installed but its original box was not present and the face plate shows signs of rough treatment along with a broken/bent needle. A couple of questions...

1). Does anyone know where I could find a nice looking or possible new face plate and needle for the Waltham model?
2). Is there any special rarity to the Waltham model as opposed to the Stewart-Warner unit?
3). Does the Waltham use a different speedo cable than the S-W?

Thanks for feedback,
Carcheologist

40 Coupe    -- 03-19-2022 @ 4:49 AM
  I believe the face plate is reproduced but am not sure if it is for the Waltham. Many sign shops can make new covers for the original face plate, it is best to find a shop that has already done this since they store the info on their computers. You will have to either find a NOS Waltham pointer or find another Waltham speedo and remove the pointer, the SW pointer is different. The Speed0 cables are alike.

Carcheologist    -- 03-19-2022 @ 7:16 AM
  Thanks very much for helpful the info!

kubes40    -- 03-19-2022 @ 9:43 AM
  The Waltham speedometer assembly is not as common as the SW. However, it isn't exactly rare either.
Value? No real difference than the SW. In fact, the only monetary difference would be with a unit like yours, in need of a face and needle. That would make it worth less than a SW in identical condition for the simple fact the pieces you need are very rare.
During my research, I found that the two manufacturers that supplied units to Ford were apparently mixed in production and assembly plants without any rhyme or reason.

The face plates have never been reproduced.

Speedometer cables are not respective to speedometer manufacturer.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Carcheologist    -- 03-19-2022 @ 4:15 PM
  Thanks Kube, I knew I could count on your expert analysis! Had a disappointing moment today when trying to pry the speed indicator needle off its shaft. Well, it came off, but took the end of its shaft too.
At least I have a good parts unit if anyone needs them.
Thanks again.
Carcheologist

trjford8    -- 03-21-2022 @ 7:36 AM
  Right now there is a new speedometer face for sale on e-Bay. It does not say if it is for Walthem or S W.

fortyford    -- 03-22-2022 @ 4:45 AM
  Bob Drake has metal face plates.I used a set worked great.I am not sure if these will interchange.
https://bobdrake.com/products/1940-deluxe-gauge-face-kit?_pos=1&_sid=572cefbc1&_ss=r

kubes40    -- 03-22-2022 @ 5:24 AM
  fotyford, Drakes won't fit the Waltham speedometer.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

fortyford    -- 03-22-2022 @ 5:30 AM
  Ok,thanks Kube,I was not sure if they would work on not.

Carcheologist    -- 03-22-2022 @ 9:24 AM
  Thanks, guys for all the helpful feedback.

rustedorrotting    -- 06-14-2022 @ 9:17 PM
  Pass along my experience. I also had a Waltham speedo and sent my gauges to be repaired. The owner of the shop called me and said that Walthams were throw aways and no parts were ever available He had me locate a s w because he could get parts for them. Hope this helps

Carcheologist    -- 06-15-2022 @ 6:36 AM
  I suspected so after a close examination of the Waltham unit. Couldn't find any way to get into it. Thanks for your helpful into!

rustedorrotting    -- 07-13-2022 @ 11:13 AM
  Just went through this on my 41 pickup. I sent my gauges out to be restored and the rebuilder told me that the Waltham units were never meant to be rebuilt. He said no parts are available for them. I went to the Net and found a gauge cluster that had a Stewart Warner speedo. These have parts available and he did a great job on mine.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15543