Topic: tires

whyforjim    -- 11-15-2021 @ 9:35 AM
  My 1940 Ford coupe needs new tires. In calling around, I've gotten some responses I wasn't expecting. Lucas Tire told me that I can ONLY use tubed tires, in that size of 60-R16, no tubeless. Coker Tire didn't mention that but told me they had nothing in stock. For a 1940? Any thoughts?

carcrazy    -- 11-15-2021 @ 1:54 PM
  The best answer to your question depends upon what you want to do with your car. If you want to show it, you will have to run what I refer to as "show car tires". These are tires that are extremely expensive, short lived and lacking in the categories of ride and handling but they "look correct" on the car.

If you want to drive the car like a modern car and enjoy it everyday with modern reliable tires, the following are my suggestions. Find a more recent 15" diameter wheel which will fit your car. Wheels which have the same 5x5 1/2" bolt pattern as your 1940 Ford were used on Ford full-size pickup and vans from 1949 to 1986 and on Mercury's from 1939 to 1951. Once you are into the 15" size, more affordable, better performing, more reliable, radial, tubeless tires can be fitted. For best results, try to find wheels which have the same offset as the original wheels so as not to overload the wheel bearings and negatively affect the steering geometry. Five inch wide wheels would be a good place to start with tires no bigger than 205/75R15.

JayChicago    -- 11-15-2021 @ 2:36 PM
  Few years ago when I was shopping for bias-look radial tires, I ended up buying from Diamond Back. At that time Coker did not have their bias-look radial available in the 16" wheel size. Interestingly, Diamond Back did not sell their's in the 15" size. I assumed from that they had a gentlemen's agreement to not compete with each other in a limited market.

As to tubes: DiamondBack said their tire is a tubeless tire, but your wheel rims need to be good, and clean. Said to be sure, you might want to order our heavy-duty tubes, made for use in the more-flexible radial tires. I didn't trust my original wheels, it was only an extra $10 per wheel, so that's what I did. No regrets with that.

This message was edited by JayChicago on 11-15-21 @ 2:45 PM

std1940    -- 11-15-2021 @ 3:58 PM
  My recent purchase from Diamond Back (www.dbtires.com)
Radial tires with bias tire look.
Size 650x16 tubeless.
Have not installed yet.
Tom.

Jacques1960    -- 11-15-2021 @ 6:12 PM
  Universal Vintage Tire might offer options in addition to Coker

2manybikes    -- 11-29-2021 @ 1:42 PM
  whyforjim: Have you made any progress with respect to your upcoming tire purchase? I too am looking at replacing mine and would be interested in what you find and decide on.

std1940: Can you follow up with your coments and observations after you have driven the the car?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15297