Topic: 40 Radio Switch on Bottom

pech33    -- 09-23-2021 @ 4:04 PM
  What is the switch on the bottom of the radio for? I have a fully intact radio that appears to have the switch knob broken off and I have a "parts" radio that has the switch intact. ALSO, who has had good luck with the radio conversion to FM or "bluetooth" capability? Do you have a company to refer? Thanks.

Pat’s 40 Ragtop

1940 Tom    -- 09-23-2021 @ 4:51 PM
  Pat--

I climbed under the dash of my 40. Confirmed that the switch you see is for "Tone Control". You can set it for "Bass" or "Bright". Assume that also means "Treble".

The Radio Owner's Manual has the following in it under the Tone Control section:

"It is to be observed that when the tone control is in the bass position the noisy interference from street car lines or other sources of electrical disturbance is considerably reduced".

I had my radio restored (stock - no additions or conversions) by Bob's Radio and TV. www.bobsradio.com, (805) 489-8200. Give them a call to discuss your radio. My fellow Club members all have their favorite vendors, and can give you more suggestions for a firm to use.

Good luck with your ragtop.

Tom

RAK402    -- 09-23-2021 @ 8:28 PM
  When I had my radio restored (probably 10 or 15 years ago), the restorer did a good job, but could not figure out how to put an input jack on it for an alternate sound source (CD player, cassette, etc.).

I ended up taking child's toy ("Be your own disc jockey" or something similar sounding) which was an AM transmitter, wrapping its antenna around the base of the radio antenna in the center of the dashboard, then connecting the ground to the bottom of the radio. I then tuned one of the presets to the frequency that the toy was transmitting on.

It works pretty well, but I would rather have a regular input jack.

TomO    -- 09-24-2021 @ 7:26 AM
  I like:
Ralph The Radio Guy
Bartlett, IL
RC70@comcast.net
630-855-5292

He did 3 radios for me and they all work great. One of the has the FM converter and all 3 have the jack for a MP3 player or blue tooth adapter.

Blue tooth adapters are available on E-Bay. Look for one that will connect to your phone to your radio.

Tom

merc5340    -- 08-21-2022 @ 6:14 PM
  I was wondering about that switch! Another question- how do I tell if the radio is a philco or a Zenith?

RAK402    -- 08-21-2022 @ 10:59 PM
  As I recall, the Zenith has a channel in the back for the Cowl Vent lever to clear, the Philco does not.

If memory serves, this is also in Mike's book.

This message was edited by RAK402 on 8-22-22 @ 12:01 PM

1940 Tom    -- 08-22-2022 @ 8:05 AM
  You are correct, sir.

Mike's book, on pages 5-22 and 5-23 - talks about radios. Lots of good info.

The picture on page 5-23 CLEARLY shows the difference between the Philco and Zenith brand radios.

Good luck with the radio.

Tom

merc5340    -- 08-22-2022 @ 7:01 PM
  Mike’s Book? ahem. Mike who ? And what would the title be?
( sorry but I had to ask)

1940 Tom    -- 08-22-2022 @ 8:13 PM
  Hey merc 5340--

My sincere apologies!

"Mike" is Mike Kubarth, the EFV8CA's Tech Advisor for 1940 vehicles. He is the author.

The book title is "It's Ford for '40". It is pictured and available for purchase - scroll over to the blue part of your screen, click on "Online Store", then go to "Ford Books".

Voila!

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=15169