Topic: led tail light bulbs

1931 Flamingo    -- 05-15-2021 @ 6:46 AM
  Tried doing a search and came up empty.

Looking for a source for 6V led tail light bulbs for me 40.

Thanks in advance.
Paul in CT

TomO    -- 05-15-2021 @ 8:09 AM
  https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=13377&keywords=led

When you do a search, there is a drop down menu in the "In the past" box. Select either ALL or 365 days to get the last year of posts.

I ordered my bulbs from http://classicbulbs.com/ because they were the only supplier of replacements for the 1158 bulb (pins not offset). Other suppliers may be offering them now. You will have to contact the supplier fo the number of the bulb that replaces the 1158 bulb. If your pins are offset, LED bulbs can be found all over the internet.

My tail and stop lights are nice and bright now and can be seen on a sunny day.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 05-15-2021 @ 12:23 PM
  "Jackson Electric Supply" in Jacksonville, Florida has them clear and in all of the different colors.call 904-900-9771; they are open at 7am eastern time.

Regards, Steve Lee

This message was edited by sarahcecelia on 5-15-21 @ 12:27 PM

sarahcecelia    -- 05-15-2021 @ 12:36 PM
  Tom- are yours 6volt?? That's what my 1950 needs, and I'd want them for my 1940 too; also 6volt. I want these foolish "tail gaters"to easily see my "backside" on both cars!

Regards, Steve Lee

JayChicago    -- 05-15-2021 @ 1:16 PM
  The '40 has a unique problem in that the red lens is pointing skyward. When you stand over it and look at the light it is brighter than when you stand behind the car. I think the prisms in the lens don't compensate very well for the application of facing the sky.

Most of the earlier LED bulbs give a straight-out directional light, and not many choices available in 6 volt. When I tried one in my '40 it was brighter, but didn't provide more (maybe less) light behind the car. There may be better LED's available now. If any of you have found a 6 volt LED bulb that seems to work well in the '40, is actually more visible from behind the car, I would like to hear what bulb you have.

TomO    -- 05-16-2021 @ 8:17 AM
  Steve, the bulbs in my 40 Merc are 6v positive ground with the pins aligned to replace the 1158 stop, tail light bulb. I haven't found a flasher that will fit in my Lincoln, yet. When I do find one I will change all 4 turn signal bulbs to LED bulbs.

Jay, if your tail lights use the 1158 bulb, you can try one of my bulbs to see if they make your lights brighter in the sunshine. Using a flashlight reflector behind the bulb to direct more of the light through the lens, will improve the visual effects of the stop lights.

Tom

JayChicago    -- 05-16-2021 @ 9:30 AM
  Thanks, Tom. My car has a replacement tail light housing/socket. Socket is for the offset pins bulb. (I think 1940 was the switch-over year to offset pins. I think early 1940's still had the in-line pins) If you have an offset LED bulb, I would like to try it next time our group is able to get together.

I did cut up an old flashlight to try your excellent reflector idea. But the 1940 housing is pear shaped, with the socket down in the narrow part of the pear. When I trimmed the reflector enough to fit over the socket and fit in the housing, there was only about 1/2 inch band of reflector left under the bulb. Doesn't work in this odd shaped housing.

trjford8    -- 05-17-2021 @ 7:29 AM
  At one time Drake offered a reflector for the '40 tail lights that fit down inside the housing. I have a set in my '40 and they do help a lot. Not sure if he still has them or not. I also painted the inside of the housing white.

merc5340    -- 08-21-2022 @ 8:22 PM
  Hey All
G & C sells a strange looking but effective bulb with the pins that align. They do caution to have glass lenses to deal with heat. I also painted the inside of the “pear” with chrome paint. My 40 mercury is easier to see now!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=14833