Topic: How to remove the upper hinge pins on my 1940 car?

sarahcecelia    -- 03-26-2020 @ 12:00 PM
  I bought the tool to remove them, and either I'm stupid- or the tool is.

It fits on the top of the pin, with the small pin to push the hinge pin out on the bottom of the pin. This results in the tool pushing against the top and bottom of the hinge pin??; not pushing the pin up and out?? It's got me fooled! I thought it would be a "Piece of Cake!" to use!

Could some one show me a diagram, or photo, of how to properly use this tool??

I want to put the mirrors on that fit on the door upper hinge pin!

Regards, Steve Lee

1940 Tom    -- 03-26-2020 @ 2:42 PM
  Hello Steve---

I'm not familiar with the hinge pin tool you are talking about. One of our other Club members can help you out, to be sure.

What are your plans for your 40? The "old" 1940 Restoration Manual states that the hinge pin mirrors are not correct, if you plan to show the car. So are the "peep" mirrors.

Hey Mike - am I correct? Have the judging standards changed any regarding the mirrors or not? Just let Steve know when you have a chance.

Tom

1931 Flamingo    -- 03-26-2020 @ 3:13 PM
  Got a picture of the tool?? Where did you get it??
Paul in CT

Larry48    -- 03-28-2020 @ 6:00 AM
  Steve, here a picture of the tool I use. It works great. Larry

Larry48    -- 03-28-2020 @ 6:12 AM
  Better pictures of he tool.

carcrazy    -- 03-28-2020 @ 11:28 AM
  If you don't have access to the proper tool, you can use a punch (suitable drift) of the correct diameter. The diameter of the punch should be slightly smaller than the diameter of the pin. Use a large hammer being careful not to hit the painted surfaces of the car while hitting the punch. Use a lot of penetrating oil first to loosen up the bond of the pin to the hinge.

Another option is to use a C-clamp with a suitably sized socket wrench located on the top of the hinge and a suitably sized bolt on the bottom of the pin to push it out. Be sure to first place a piece of rubber cut out of an old inner tube on top of the hinge to protect the paint.

sarahcecelia    -- 03-28-2020 @ 11:31 AM
  Bob Drake catalog, is where I got the "Hinge Pin Removal Tool, " and those people are about as helpfull as teets on a bull!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 03-28-2020 @ 11:36 AM
  Larry, where did you get your tool??
A drift doesn't help! I soaked the pins for days with acetone/ auto trans fluid (50%-50%) and used a ledge hammer and a drift, to NO AVAIL AT ALL!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 03-28-2020 @ 11:40 AM
  That's okay; this car alredy won 1st in it's class at the Antique Auto Club of America, and a Dearborn award. I just show it locally, and those people don't know what is right or wrong.Not to worry.

Regards, Steve Lee

ford38v8    -- 03-28-2020 @ 1:23 PM
  Don't be so sure that car show attendees don't know right from wrong. Many are more knowledgeable than the owners of the cars. The best resource to learn about one's car is to put it in a show, and absorb the knowledge and comments made by others. We all have something to learn, and who knows, we might be the teacher one day. The difficult thing for some owners is to ferret out the unwise comments from the appreciative.

Alan

Larry48    -- 03-28-2020 @ 6:19 PM
  I had m son-in-law make it for me. Where are you located? I tried all those things you tried with no luck. I had my pin out in less than an hour with this tool and you don't have to worry about messing up the paint.

kubes40    -- 03-29-2020 @ 5:24 PM
  Just now noticed the question from Tom1940... to answer it... NO, hinge pin mirrors are never correct in 1940. In fact the "swan neck" mirror that attaches to the cowl in place of the stainless trim was available only for the left side until May, 1940 when a right side mirror was released for consumer consumption.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

fortyford    -- 03-30-2020 @ 4:29 AM
  Of course we all know how useless the right side swan neck mirror is!

kubes40    -- 03-30-2020 @ 6:50 AM
  I tend to believe the right mirror was (eventually) introduced for two reasons 1) profit and 2) esthetics.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

39 Ken    -- 03-30-2020 @ 8:50 AM
  Hey Kube, Didja ever notice that the 1940 Swan neck mirror design almost perfectly matches the trim design of the 1939 Deluxe and not the trim of the '40? I've wondered if that swan neck mirror was designed to go on the '39 Deluxe but arrived too late and Ford decided to use it on the '40.
Ken

kubes40    -- 03-30-2020 @ 3:03 PM
  Ken, Your theory may have some merit.
However, as simply a point of discussion, I'd disagree.
In my humble opinion, there was already a hinge pin mirror in 1939 so there was no "need" for a different type of mirror.
1940 saw what Ford described as a "new" design. that is arguable but hey, that's what Ford called it. So, a different and perhaps less arguably, a much nicer looking mirror was introduced.

The right side mirror? Being introduced near the end of 1940 production, I can see no other reason than an attempt to satisfy some folks sense of aesthetics. Being useless, I ask you, what other possible reasoning was there for the right mirror?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-31-2020 @ 2:55 PM
  you could VERY CAREFULY, drill or cut the top of the pin off and drive the pin down,?
the pin should not be too hard of steel
if it does not move, I would go to this option,
before you ruin something,
even drilling the pin out is a option,
did you try a heat gun, not to so hot the paint does not blister,
just use real good AMERICAN made drills , starting small and work bigger in many steps,
hope this helps 1937Ragtopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-1-20 @ 8:44 AM

kubes40    -- 03-31-2020 @ 5:07 PM
  If the pin doesn't want to move with a puller, I'd be very apprehensive to smack it with a hammer. You will with little doubt bend the hinge thus creating door alignment issues.
If the pin is worn (most likely) it'll take more than the cheapo Drake pin removal tool. It may require drilling.

Might I dare suggest you install the proper "swan neck" mirror?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

39 Ken    -- 04-01-2020 @ 6:19 AM
  Mike, Just to add to the discussion, let me try to flesh out my theory.
This only pertains to my original thought about the left side mirror. I agree completely with your comment about the right side mirror.

The hinge pin mirror used on the 1938 and 1939 was available as an accessory had a part number 48-18403. Nomenclature numbers starting with "48" indicates an availability from 1935. Now, with that part being available since the '35 cars, I think that someone in the design department must have been thinking of changing it for some time, just as they design cars a "couple" of years in advance.

The 1938 design rolls around, the car is significantly different than the '35 and '36 so a design engineer comes up with a beautiful "swan neck" outside mirror to go on the '39 (possibly the '38) which matches the shape of the stainless trim and compliments the flow. The supply of the "hinge pin mirror" is abundant since it has been around a while and the plan was to continue using them until the supply runs out. So the bean counters put a temporary hold on introduction of the "swan". Unfortunately, production figures for '38 and '39 are way down from previous years so the swan neck mirror, although already in production is put off until the introduction of the 1940 model year. The small problem to my eye, is that the swan neck looks out of place with the completely different exterior trim on the '40.

I know, this is all pure speculation on my part but it is all part of the enjoyment of being around these cars.

Apology to Steve Lee for jumping on his thread but it does mention the "hinge pin mirror".

Ken

kubes40    -- 04-01-2020 @ 7:51 AM
  Ken,
Once again, I must state that you pose a good theory.
Aesthetics, being in the eye of the beholder will always cause a discussion as to which year the swan "should've" been introduced for.
Where there can be no argument is the fact the "swan neck" mirror was released for inclusion of the 1940 Ford passenger car model year. Simultaneously, the passenger car hinge pin mirror was eliminated...

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Kens 36    -- 04-01-2020 @ 8:13 AM
  Mike,

How about right-hand drive vehicles?

Ken

kubes40    -- 04-01-2020 @ 10:43 AM
  Ken,
I didn't happen upon any drawings for the right hand drive cars. However, I wasn't really making an effort to do so.

You may find it interesting that there were two versions of the "swan" mirror. The typical one we see has a 4" diameter mirror head. If memory serves, Connecticut and Maine required a 5" diameter mirror and as such, that larger version was available in 1940. It did have a different suffix to the basic part number as I recall.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

Kens 36    -- 04-01-2020 @ 11:26 AM
  Mike,

I was just suggesting/wondering if RH drive cars explained the reason for the RH mirror. Certainly not "worthless" in that application.

Ken

kubes40    -- 04-02-2020 @ 10:38 AM
  Afternoon Ken!
It's possible I suppose that the right hand mirror was designed specifically for RHD cars and only later released for domestic purposes.

As a side note of sorts: During my research, I did my best to limit myself to domestic purposed vehicles. Just the scope of that became daunting.
To have included non-domestic vehicles I am certain would have fried what brain cells I have remaining.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 04-07-2020 @ 1:08 PM
  Again, Where can I buy that tool that you have.

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 04-08-2020 @ 6:34 AM
  Steve, I have no doubt the tool in previous responses was home made. An easy fabrication if a guy has the machine tools available.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

sarahcecelia    -- 04-08-2020 @ 7:31 AM
  Where did you get it!!!!!????

Regards, Steve Lee

Larry48    -- 04-09-2020 @ 3:29 AM
  As I replied earlier, my son-in-law made it for me. Where are you located? If close by I could let you use it?

sarahcecelia    -- 04-13-2020 @ 5:54 AM
  PLEASE LARRY! Where did you get that tool!!!

Regards, Steve Lee

kubes40    -- 04-13-2020 @ 2:49 PM
  Per reply on 4-9-20:
As I replied earlier, my son-in-law made it for me. Where are you located? If close by I could let you use it?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=13696