Topic: door seals

1931 Flamingo    -- 03-18-2020 @ 11:56 AM
  1940 Coupe.
I've received new bottom door seals. There doesn't seem to be any attaching method at the door bottom. On the door opening sill on the body there is a 1/4 round hard paper "seal" that I want to replace, they are old and tired. They are held on by a chrome strip that runs the length of the door but mounted to the body. Is this the door seal?? Comments, help or pics would help.
Thank you in advance.
Paul in CT

kubes40    -- 03-18-2020 @ 3:41 PM
  Paul,
If I understand correctly, you'd purchased (just) the seals. That is, seals you must install within the stainless rocker trim.
I've attached a photo of one in place.
If available, I find it much easier to purchase these stainless trims with the seals already installed.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1931 Flamingo    -- 03-19-2020 @ 4:36 AM
  Thank you. Picture perfect ! !
BIG price between just the seal and the assembly.....
Paul in CT

kubes40    -- 03-19-2020 @ 5:48 AM
  Yep, definitely a price difference. To me, it's usually worth my time to just get new assemblies. Plus, if I have old ones, I have to restore them which can and usually is very time consuming.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

TomO    -- 03-19-2020 @ 8:33 AM
  I ordered just the seal and when I found out how difficult it was to open the crimp on the scuff plates, I bit the bullet and ordered the door scuff plates.

I suggest that you do the same, the extra cost is worth it.

Tom

ford38v8    -- 03-19-2020 @ 9:08 AM
  One additional note about new seals, you're likely to find that the door won't close easily on the new seals, but leave it closed for a few days to allow the seal to take a set, thereafter being a good fit.

Alan

kubes40    -- 03-19-2020 @ 12:37 PM
  Alan, as usual makes a good point.
If I know I'll be needing to replace these with new, I get them prior to actually needing them and bind them. That way, when I go to install them, the rubber is already "relaxed" and is in the proper position for good fitment.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

1931 Flamingo    -- 03-20-2020 @ 10:46 AM
  The ones I received from C&G are very flexible, but I will take another look at the assemblys. Money isn't the problem.
Thanks again everyone, especially the pic.
Paul in CT

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=13677