Topic: BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

sarahcecelia    -- 08-06-2019 @ 5:51 AM
  (1) Are all brake light switches the same thread size? In other words; can I buy one at the local auto supply?

(2) Are they effected by silicone brake fluid? (3) I heard Harley Davidson has a better one; No Harley dealer in town.

(3) Can I buy that Harley switch somewhere else besides the dealer?

(4) I understand the Harley switch reacts sooner; is that correct??

Regards, Steve Lee

trjford8    -- 08-06-2019 @ 7:18 AM
  You can buy the switch at the local auto supply store. Silicone brake fluid will affect the life of the switch. If you are using silicone fluid you might try a switch from Ron Francis Wiring or Painless Wiring. You might be able to buy a genuine Harley switch on e-Bay. Some say the switch holds up better than others with silicone fluid. I have no idea if it reacts sooner. When I use silicone fluid I use a mechanical switch and it avoids any problems.

sarahcecelia    -- 08-07-2019 @ 10:16 AM
  Thanks, got one at O'Reilly's for about $10.00 They had the 1940 in their listings, and it's an exact duplicate with NO SHIPPING COST!

Regards, Steve Lee

nelsb01    -- 08-07-2019 @ 11:51 AM
  Now the question returns to the brake fluid type that you are using.
If silicone brake fluid, go back and purchase another because the one you purchased will have a life about 20 months. (that being only driven 10 months of that time).
I currently have a $10 one in my 1949. And I replaced it again this spring. As mentioned, once silicone seeps past the seal and gets to the electronic part it's workability goes away--- it will still work if you use both feet on the pedal. But stopping that way scares the do-do out of your passengers.
I plan to try a Ron Francis one and make a small wiring adapter for the different connectors. I read the Harley forums-- and HD brake light switches seem to last as long sometimes as the $10 one you just purchased. Seems Harley is no longer making their own and some other country is and the silicone brake fluid gets into those also.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 8-7-19 @ 11:52 AM

40 Coupe    -- 08-14-2019 @ 4:39 AM
  beside the hydraulic connection there are many different electrical connections.

sarahcecelia    -- 08-16-2019 @ 6:00 AM
  Thanks for the info!

It must be true, because I switched to silicone in my 1940 convertible about a year, or year and a half ago, and the switch went bad recently!

I'll get one from one of the sources you gave me!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 08-17-2019 @ 5:15 AM
  Can you please give me phone numbers for Ron Francis, and Painless Wiring??

Regards, Steve Lee

CharlieStephens    -- 08-17-2019 @ 5:40 AM
  Ron Francis Wire Works, https://www.ronfrancis.com, (800) 292-1940 , sorry I don't have the other one. Have you tried GOOGLE? Remember both of those companies are not into restored cars.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-17-19 @ 5:44 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=13124