Topic: " 40"oil press. when hot

thunder road    -- 08-10-2018 @ 10:23 AM
  Had my 40 coupe out yesterday 8-9-18 to warm it up and do my second oil change since I bought it. It has 44,843 original miles on it, and I seem to have about 13 pounds of oil pressure when fully warmed up at an idle. The oil gauge needle is on the first line. I am using Joe Gibbs 10-40 high zinc, low calcium -low detergent oil, with about 3/4 of a quart of Lucas motor oil treatment. Is this oil pressure correct for idle? It goes right up when driving, and it runs great. I installed a new copper gasket on the oil plug, as the old gasket material one was shot. Are the copper ones ok? Lastly the next time I change my oil I am thinking about shooting a can of brake cleaner at the oil pick up screen, letting it dry, and then put in a couple quarts of cheep oil to just get rid of residue, then drain and refill . Is this a good idea? the drain plug hole is so big and allows access to spray the pick up screen.

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 8-10-18 @ 10:27 AM

len47merc    -- 08-10-2018 @ 10:44 AM
  STOP!!! ABSOLUTELY DO NOT SPRAY BRAKE CLEANER OR ANY OTHER SOLVENT INTO THE OIL PAN AT THE PICK-UP SCREEN!!!!! Brake cleaner will do a number on your main bearings and, while your pick-up screen may be clean you may do serious damage to or ruin the engine over time.

If the oil pick-up screen is gnawing at the base of your scull - take the safe and best route. Take the time to pull the pan, pull the screen and oil pump, clean both and while it's out decide whether to rebuild the oil pump, clean and paint the pan and reassemble. Please - please -PLEASE do not spray brake cleaner anywhere near the bottom side of an exposed crank on our EFV8s. To prove it to yourself - find a new bearing, original if you can, and spray it with brake cleaner and see what happens.

Most of us on this Forum that understand the variances in the original oil meter would be thrilled with 13 lbs of oil pressure at idle on a warmed-up engine. Not unusual for some to read as low as 5 on a hot engine on a hot day, and rise only as high as 30 at rpm. Sounds like it's fine.

Steve

thunder road    -- 08-10-2018 @ 7:41 PM
  Steve thank you for the information , I am just going to leave it alone , and do my two year annual oil changes. I have four cars, and it's hard here in NY to put more than 100 miles a year on each one. Thank you! When you are not sure ask . What is gnawing at the base of your scull?

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 8-10-18 @ 7:42 PM

cliftford    -- 08-10-2018 @ 8:40 PM
  From experience, I agree with what Steve says about oil pressure.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=12225