Topic: My “40” VIN. Dilemma

thunder road    -- 03-23-2018 @ 9:33 AM
  Here is a picture of the VIN. stamping on my 1940 Ford frame. Also my NY registration sticker. As you can see somewhere along the line of the previous owners the prefix of the VIN. has been mistakenly changed to a" 6" instead of an" 8". This is why it would be very helpful if the new 1940 Ford book has a page showing the three different prefix’s that were used in 1940. It would make it helpful for me, and others with similar problems to help to get the VIN. numbers corrected. There was never a 1940 Ford built with a prefix No. of " 16". The only three different prefix’s used in 1940 were" 18" which = 85 H.P. this one being the most common one used. Next “54” = 60 H.P. Lastly the third prefix that was used was “99” which = 95 H.P. this was the Mercury engine, and was very rare.

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 3-23-18 @ 9:44 AM

40 Coupe    -- 03-23-2018 @ 12:04 PM
  In Ohio there are a couple of ways to have a title corrected:
Take the title to the BMV and they can search for previous paper work to see when a number was typo changed.
Take the title and the vehicle to the highway patrol office and they can inspect and issue a form to have the title corrected.
Mac VanPelt has a fine book regarding the rebuilding of the early V8 transmission where the numbers are covered, they MAY also be on his web site???
There were about 155,000 Mercury 90HP produced in 1940

thunder road    -- 03-23-2018 @ 3:57 PM
  Hey 40 coupe thanks for your input. In NY state, cars built before 1973 do not have titles, just transferable registrations. On Monday I am going to contact the trooper's office to get their help. I am glad that technically ,the mistake is in the prefix, and not in the sequential number, and that enough of my frame stamping exists . if they want to see the car in person they are going to have to wait until the April showers wash away all the salt on these N.Y. salted roads. Lastly I
read somewhere that the prefix was only stamped on the front frame stamping location, and not on the middle, or rear frame stamping locations. Did they stamp the prefix on the transmission stamping location?
Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 3-23-18 @ 4:08 PM

TomO    -- 03-24-2018 @ 7:29 AM
  Yes, the full serial number, including the prefix, should be stamped on the transmission. But, remember that transmissions were often changed, when a gear broke, when these cars were in daily use.

Tom

kubes40    -- 03-24-2018 @ 7:32 AM
  Domenic, The frame was stamped in three places. Typically, the two places beneath the body did not include the prefix but rather, only the sequential (serial) number.
As Tom has correctly pointed out, the transmission WAS the serial number of the car.
However, just as he has also stated, transmissions were more often than not swapped out. Of all the cars I've owned, only a handful had a matching transmission case.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

thunder road    -- 03-24-2018 @ 10:00 AM
  Hey Tom, and Mike this sounds like great news! If this information is intact on the transmission, it will help me greatly to correct the mistake in my vin. The car is an honest 44,650 mile car in every aspect that I have been able to check out so far. Stuff like totally original interior , original firewall insulation pad in mint condition, original saturated felt in the rear tail pan, original trunk mat. The motor , and engine bay looks to me like it's never been out, also the dated receipt's, and paper work that came with the car. Can you guys tell me where to look for the vin. on the transmission? Was the pre-fix included on the transmission stamping? P.S. the temp sender in my car look's like the end of it is tapped and the wire attaches to it, with a flat head screw, thanks

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 3-24-18 @ 10:12 AM

40 Coupe    -- 03-24-2018 @ 10:41 AM
  Stop by the local highway patrol office and see if the procedure in Ohio is the same as in NY. They may also require an appointment to inspect the serial number.

thunder road    -- 03-24-2018 @ 3:39 PM
  Hey Tom, and Mike, and 40 coupe, that's great news that they did stamp the prefix's on the transmission's! Can you guy's tell me approx. where on the transmission I should look. I remember when you guy's told me where to look for the rear end ratio, if I had not asked I would probably still be out their in the garage under that thing still looking, thank a lot for the help.

Domenic

This message was edited by thunder road on 3-24-18 @ 3:40 PM

TomO    -- 03-25-2018 @ 1:03 PM
  Your serial number location question was answered in another post. You have to remove the floor boards in order to see it.

It sound like you have the correct heat sending unit. Post a photo to be sure.

Tom

thunder road    -- 03-25-2018 @ 7:02 PM
  Tom , you mean the transmission cover right? Buy the looks of Charlie's picture I would say so. Thiers a real good chance that it is original to the car, I will get some pictures of it, and the temp sender too. thank you

Domenic

thunder road    -- 03-25-2018 @ 7:04 PM
  Tom , you mean the transmission cover right? Buy the looks of Charlie's picture I would say so. Thiers a real good chance that the transmission is original to the car, I will get some pictures of the transmission, and the temp sender too. thank you

Domenic

TomO    -- 03-26-2018 @ 7:50 AM
  Domenic, the two toe boards have to be removed before the transmission cover can be removed. Unless you have another reason to remove it, I would not do it until there is another reason. If your seals are original to the car, they have probably turned to goo by now and if you remove the boards, you will have to install reproduction seals or the engine noise will be very loud inside the car.

The prefix is the only part of your title that is in question and if you can show that Ford did not use that prefix in 1940, a reasonable official should issue a corrected title. There are many sources for Ford Serial number ranges by year. Check the local library and Van Pelts web site. Try printing the list from VanPelts web site and bringing it with you to the DMV office to see if they will accept it.

http://vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

Tom

thunder road    -- 03-26-2018 @ 5:27 PM
  Tom I appreciate all the good advice .I am going to copy this page that you posted, and with the rest of my paper work go in person and see what they say. If they what to see the car, it will just take a few weeks for the roads to get cleaned up from all the salt.

Domenic

thunder road    -- 03-27-2018 @ 3:58 PM
  Tom , me and my son went to see the trooper's today to try and get my vin"s prefix number straightened out. They said to go and talk to the D.M.V. The D.MV. gave me a telephone number for specialty vin. problem's. I called and spoke to Richard and explained that somewhere along the history of the car the prefix of the vin had gotten a typo . I sent him photo's of all the written documentation, including" Vanpelt" and the paper's from Dan Krehbiel- Frame and engine serial number's along with a picture's of my front frame number which clearly show's the number" 18 " prefix. He told me that he would look into it, but unless I get a letter from" Ford" or show somewhere where" Ford "states in writing that in 1940 they only had the three prefix's one being "18" for 85H.P. or "54' for 60 H.P. or "99" for 90H.P. This will show that they never had a "16" prefix

Domenic

TomO    -- 03-28-2018 @ 7:39 AM
  I am sorry that it seems that you still have a problem. If the state does not correct the typo, you may have to consult an attorney.

Tom

katerome    -- 03-29-2018 @ 5:32 AM
  Do you know where you can find essay examples?

len47merc    -- 03-29-2018 @ 7:37 AM
  Dominic - if your car original and you have the original floor matting in I strongly encourage you to not attempt to remove the floorboards/toe boards. From personal experience the flooring that old will likely crack, tear, etc., and, in addition to TomO's concern, and to further kube4o's points on originality in other threads, you want to maintain the originality in as quality a state as much as possible. Exhaust all other solutions before attempting this. If you ultimately find yourself with no other solution then come back here for advice before touching the matting. Good luck!

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 3-29-18 @ 9:37 AM

thunder road    -- 03-29-2018 @ 3:58 PM
  Thank you all for your great help and advice! Richard from the technical services dept. at the N.Y. D.M.V. reviewed the information that I provided from the member's of the early ford V-8 club and he told to just go to the D.M.V. and fill out a M V-82 form and check off to amend ,bring all my pictures and paper work, and give it to a supervisor , and said that if their are any problem's for them to call him, and he will straighten it out. Almost success !

Domenic

TomO    -- 03-30-2018 @ 9:04 AM
  Glad that your problem is resolved.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=11767