Topic: Headliner Replacement

bo8109b    -- 01-04-2018 @ 11:20 AM
  Does a 1940 Ford 4 door headliner replacement require removal of windshield or rear glass? Carl

kubes40    -- 01-04-2018 @ 4:05 PM
  Yes, both the front windshields and rear windshields need to be removed..

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 1-4-18 @ 4:06 PM

FirstRideRestorations    -- 02-09-2024 @ 10:25 AM
  Mike, is removing the front and rear windshields also true on a '40 coupe, to install the headliner? I may be missing some subtle points as I saw in another thread that the headliner gets glues around the quarter windows and rear window frames, where I thought there was supposed to be tack strip - the glue install seems more reasonable to me and if you / someone could confirm I'd appreciate it. The package shelf appears to be a place where I might add a tack strip to secure the bottom of the headliner in the rear, below the window and to either side as the metal frame curves around, true?

kubes40    -- 02-10-2024 @ 5:27 AM
  The headliner, for a first-class installation, is best glued to the surface that the glass / rubber gasket will be placed atop when reinstalled.
Easy enough to do this way and a much stronger (read: long lasting) installation.
In regard to the area surrounding the package tray...I have attached a couple of photos of one of the coupes I'd restored. A tack strip in that area is necessary and was there authentically. I use the modern nylon type as it holds the staples better than the original twisted paper material.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

FirstRideRestorations    -- 02-11-2024 @ 9:11 AM
  Very helpful, great pictures! Thanks again.

Added question, I just noticed while securing the headliner at bows 4 & 5, the screws securing the bows are rubbing against the headliner. I used screws that were in the car and can't imagine this was original - Is there a specific screw type that was used to avoid this? The bows were not designed with a countersink, so I am not sure how much more low profile I can find.

This message was edited by FirstRideRestorations on 2-27-24 @ 3:27 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=14&Topic=11513