LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / 1949-51 Mercury Sport Sedan trunk mat

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1949-51 Mercury Sport Sedan trunk mat -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

56MarkII
10-14-2016 @ 10:36 PM

Does anybody know of a source for a replacement trunk mat for a 1950 Mercury sedan? The part number on my original mat is 8L-7245456 but nobody seems to make an OEM reproduction or a close "will fit"reproduction. There seem to be many out there for the shoebox Fords but nothing for the bathtub. I was told this is difficult because most people customize theirs so there is very little demand. Mine is very stock in every way and I'm still running 6 volts with the original tube radio so anything that looks close would be fantastic.

TomO
10-17-2016 @ 8:39 AM
Senior

Is that a rubber mat or a vinyl mat? I am not sure when Mercury changed over.

Tom

56MarkII
10-17-2016 @ 8:39 PM

It appears to be a pebbly rubber mat with the Mercury or should I say the Lincoln part number molded into the right rear edge of the mat. Now the frustrating part is by word of mouth from another Mercury parts dealer was Pat Walsh sells a reproduction minus the part number and comes in different styles such as pebble, ribbed etc. BUT he refuses to email me pictures!! That is as bad as C&G Ford parts selling the Curb buffer set but due to them being a re seller or middleman they dont provide a picture for the reproduction set. It's bad enough working with a $0.75 dollar after exchange and that is also a factor in the shipping to get it up here to Canuckastan but I dont know what the d*mn thing looks like. Lets put it another way. Let's say i have a 1950 Mercury for sale on eBay but I will post it for sale with no pictures. One picture says a thousand words. Also it has been a number of years since I removed whats left of my mat from my trunk and I cannot remember if it was one piece or a set due to the spare tire and wheel well being involved here. Also years ago there was padding underneath kind of like what a coco mat is made out of and is that what they call Jute? It looks like the same padding under the wool carpets of my 56 Continental. This underlay or padding was discarded years ago due to it falling apart and before it was known to me how difficult these were to locate. Most of it remains but some pieces tore off. BTW Merle sells fantastic trunk cardboard panels that look spot on to mine. Yes he sent me a picture.

TomO
10-18-2016 @ 8:26 AM
Senior

Since no one makes a reproduction of your floor mat, try a Google search of "pebble textures automobile floormat"

If you find one that looks close in the photo, ask for a sample.

Pat Walsh gets most of his rubber from Metero Moulded Parts. If they have something close, they will usually send a sample.

Tom

56MarkII
10-18-2016 @ 2:01 PM

Thanks Tom
Before you posted this reply I continued with the google search with all the garbage popping up that consisted of 49-51 Fords but guess what? I don't have a Ford! Mac's kept popping up so I called them and a fellow there admitted they get their products from these people.

http://www.quietride.com/web/viewer.html?file=http://www.quietride.com/catalogpdfs/linc_merc_catalog.pdf

On a Hudson forum they mentioned that Pat gets his stuff at Metro as well as K-Get (and complaints of no returned e-mails etc.)
Since Pat refuses to send pictures that only forces me to search around and Jeff at quietride said he will send me pictures etc. and I informed him I will have to carefully remove my mat, lay it out on the carpet and take pictures. He said the rubber might or might not have the correct pattern and he isn't sure how correct the shape is. After I take mine out he said they could compare and if need be make adjustments to their patterns. I don't know how common it is to still have a survivor lurking in the garage or a survivor trunk mat but I do so we will go from there. I guess I will give Metro a shout as well because fishing around for K-Get seemed to be like fishing with no bait on the hook and to make things worse I'm up here in a foreign country so some of these companies are "Greek" to me. This IS NOT an issue of cost. It's a total issue of not knowing what I will receive while having a high cost! BTW as for quiet ride they have the firewall pad made as close as original but mine is still very fine but I will have to check the condition of the skirt attatched to the bottom of which mine is probably still there. I dont crawl under the dash very often.
Don

This message was edited by 56MarkII on 10-18-16 @ 2:02 PM

56MarkII
10-18-2016 @ 2:21 PM

Just phoned Metro Molded Parts and the response was no got. They suggested phoning Dennis Carpenter but that will have to wait until tomorrow. I guess for now I will go to my Merc and remove the mat for pictures etc. and who knows www.quietride.com might be my best and possibly my only option unless Pat hears my plea and sends a picture of which I doubt.
As for quiet ride they have the mat with or without the insulation underlay and Jeff mentioned they use fiberglass not the Jute like mine used to have.

TomO
10-19-2016 @ 7:18 AM
Senior

Don, be very careful when removing the mat. I would get a nylon egg flipper to help with the areas that the mat has stuck to the floor. I used that on my 65 Cutlass that had an original rubber mat and only added one more tear when removing it from around the gas filler pipe.

I had found QuietRide while I was searching, but their mat did not look even close, so I did not mention it.

Tom

56MarkII
10-21-2016 @ 1:36 PM

Thanks Tom
The mat is in some ways a bit rough but holds together when I removed it and whatever has fallen apart has already years ago. It has a hole due to a leaky bottle of oil I suspect and the cutout area for the fuel pipe broke off beside the slot and hole. The separate rubber mat that covers the inner fender has shrunk and cracked from heat and cooking. Yes this mat is rubber and looks like a fairly good quality soft flexible rubber that I was able to determine because the large rectangular area that sits behind the seat is still very good but the molded area that sits lower down in the pan has suffered a bit. I might be missing one of the fender covers unless there was only one and not for the other side obscured by the spare tire sitting in the way. Quiet ride admitted that as well when I mentioned the pictures weren't very clear. A fellow I spoke to (Jeff) mentioned they didnt have much to go by when they made what they made but he said they were certainly willing to tweak and alter given pictures and measurements. Sounds alot better than most of the "Usual Suspects" so I sent a number of pictures of the mat out and if need be reinstall it so it is shaped better where it is molded in the trunk floor pan and provide measurements and we will see what the response is. It would be nice if it was in better condition and by rights it should be because it is only 66 years old
As for the search Dennis Carpenter only has a similar looking but ribbed for a 1949-50 Ford, Pat Walsh has a "secret mystery" mat, Newark has mats and carpets but no trunk mats for my Merc.
Merle at Classic Mercury doesn't have either and Merlin at Mercury and More doesnt have them and was the one who suggested Pat.
Metro Moulded Rubber as well and certainly not Shoebox because the name pretty much sums it up. They didnt even have the Mercury Radiator hoses and expected me to "shoehorn" 49-51 Ford rad hoses in there. The beef I have is the lower hoses are longer with a bit of a curve to them for the Ford so why should I have to chop and fit to make fit. Simple solution, just make a d!mn set for the Mercury. If you make em for Ford, a little bit more effort and you got a hose for a Mercury as well. On a positive note Pat and Merlin have reproduction door sill plates for the Sport Sedan and Sport Coupe and those I will certainly grab later on (from Merlin of course!). There is cr*p on fleabay for sale for the sill or step plates but they are stainless steel not the proper aluminum with Mercury "M" and pattern after all I'm not building a custom. Why would I?

56MarkII
10-21-2016 @ 1:40 PM

More pictures
I would post more but it appears I can only upload one picture at a time.
Ron compares his two exhaust deflectors as "Holy Grail' and "Uber" but I would think having a complete mint or NOS 8L-7245456 and other than purchasing a correct NOS quality set of correct Fog or Driving lights for this car from him, my Holy Grail item is an NOS gold hood emblem I got off of ebay a couple of years ago for $39 plus shipping. It looks beautiful with the bright perfect gold finish complete with the part number tag and I snapped that up like a duck on a June bug and I have never seen one for sale since.

This message was edited by 56MarkII on 10-21-16 @ 1:58 PM

rotorwrench
11-23-2016 @ 10:03 AM

Thanks for posting the photo links. I remember removing what was left of the trunk mat from my Pop's old 51 back in 1974. That reinforces my memory of what I remember it looked like. Yours is probably the best example of an original that I've yet seen. My old cars came from climates in Kansas & New Mexico where the summer heat & winter cold were not kind to the soft parts. They weren't bad for the metal though.

Pat Walsh has been around since Christ was a corporal and I don't think he ever had exact reproductions of the 49/51 Mercury mats. They were just made to fit. I have two 51 sport sedans now but remember a time when I first started looking for the interior floor mats. My Pop's old hand me down 51 that I ended up with after all my siblings used and abused it, originally had a brown or tan colored rubber floor mat that has since crumbled literally to dust. My other 51 had a factory optional carpet set up so it will be easier to reproduce. I've thought about making a mold for the mats but it hasn't gotten past the thought stage yet. Rubber materials are more available now than they were back then so I keep looking for the appropriate materials. I'd have to make the mold from scratch using an actual floor pan as the basis for a mold. I don't think too many of them have survived this long but I might be surprised. Getting all the details would be important and they aren't easy to come by.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org