LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Steering column lock

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Steering column lock -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

40 Coupe
06-10-2016 @ 3:09 AM
Senior

I replied to your PM with all the contact information. Check your inbox.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 6-10-16 @ 3:10 AM

deskjet894
06-09-2016 @ 6:08 PM

How can I contact the lock smiths you suggested?

40 Coupe
06-09-2016 @ 4:34 PM
Senior

If the door lock is correct for 34 pick up all the more reason NOT TO DAMAGE it beyond use, by drilling the face. Send the door lock cylinder and the sleeve out and have a couple of keys made. Both of the people I have suggested to you are very capable of making a key, IF POSSIBLE. When you get the new keys and the lock cylinder assembly back, try the key in the ignition cylinder. While waiting spray penetrating oil into the ignition cylinder and let it soak.

Don Rogers
06-09-2016 @ 5:59 AM
Senior

In light of your photo of the door lock and further research, I have to reset my thinking. You do have an original style door locking assembly. I say assembly because it consists of 2 parts, a sleeve and an inner lock cylinder. To find the key code, you will have to remove the inner lock cylinder. This can be done by drilling out the pin. The pin is accessed thru the hole in the top of the outer sleeve. This action will allow you to remove the cylinder and view the key code. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ACTION WILL MAKE THE CYLINDER USELESS FOR FUTURE USE, BUT MAY GIVE YOU THE CODE FOR YOUR IGNITION CYLINDER.................IT'S A CRAP SHOOT!!!!

40 Coupe
06-08-2016 @ 4:20 AM
Senior

To lock the door with a key, the square shank of the cylinder rotates inside a square hole of the door latch mechanism and the door latch locks the door handle from moving making the door lock. So the lock cylinder has to have the square shank long enough to enter the square hole of the door latch. You can try the door lock by leaving the door open, then insert a proper size screwdriver through the hole for the lock cylinder, into the square hole and rotate the mechanism. one direction locks the handle the other unlocks. Once unlocked you can close the door and not be locked out.
The door opening handle on the inside of the car also locks the door. The handle is rotated anti-opening direction a few degrees and that locks the door. The inside handle should stay in the lock position by a spring in a cam detent. In your case this spring may be broken, fear not, it can be replaced with another spring, that will hold the inside door handle in the lock position.

40 Coupe
06-08-2016 @ 4:05 AM
Senior

The door lock cylinder you have is 32 door it is very hard to find in the condition you have. I would suggest getting a key for it even if it does not operate the door (due to the short square shaft)!! With a key the inner lock cylinder can be removed it will have a key code on it's side. If you ship it GET INSURANCE around $200.00 and pack it so it does not get damaged, they are somewhat fragile.
The ignition lock cylinder appears correct for 34. You will have to remove it from the column drop to get a key since the door cylinder is not original to the car. OR Remove the entire outer steering column along with the column drop and lock cylinder and send the entire assembly WITH INSURANCE to the lock smith.
Below is the face of a 34 door lock cylinder.

deskjet894
06-07-2016 @ 6:09 PM

front of the door lock. How does the drivers door lock? I tried moving the handle in all directions.

deskjet894
06-07-2016 @ 6:07 PM

I bought the 1934 Ford pickup without any keys. Both locks look original to me but I am not an expert. I am trying to keep it as original as possible.

trjford8
06-07-2016 @ 7:28 AM
Senior

That door lock cylinder does not look original. Did it ever actually lock the door? The shaft looks too short to engage the lock.

Don Rogers
06-07-2016 @ 4:40 AM
Senior

Deskjet, How about a few more photos of the door lock cylinder and the steering column lock.

If the door lock cylinder isn't original, it's key isn't going to match the steering column lock.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org