Topic: Steering column lock

deskjet894    -- 05-30-2016 @ 8:27 AM
  I have a 1934 Ford pickup with a steering column lock.
The key is long gone and I would like to use the lock.
Who has a replacement or can key the original lock?
Thank You for your help.

1934 Ford    -- 05-30-2016 @ 6:00 PM
  You can remove the lock and have a good locksmith make a new one. Nobody has ever noticed my non Ford script key.

1934 Ford's since 1972

CharlieStephens    -- 05-30-2016 @ 6:19 PM
  If you added your general location to your profile there might be someone close. A place in Florida isn't going to help if you live in California. Bob Drake can supply the blanks if you can find a locksmith, https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=B-3685-A A tip I learned with my '32 when duplicating a key is to straighten out a paper clip and lay it in the key cutting machine to space the blank correctly if the machine the locksmith is using doesn't position the key high enough. There might be a code on the lock cylinder that would enable an old Ford locksmith to cut a key from the number. The cylinder can be removed by drilling out the pin that retains it.

Another suggestion, unrelated to the present question, is to keep a complete set of all keys along with your living trust/will (I assume everyone has one) in a safety deposit box or with a trusted friend.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 5-30-16 @ 6:36 PM

40 Coupe    -- 05-31-2016 @ 5:00 AM
  The original cylinder has a key code stamped into it's side. BE CAREFUL and do not damage the cylinder they are hard to find and pricey, the bottom retaining pin is less than 1/4" long. I have used both Leon Rowell in Iowa and Doug Vogel in Mich. for lock work and keys.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 5-31-16 @ 5:03 AM

TomO    -- 05-31-2016 @ 7:39 AM
  Try removing the door lock cylinder first and have a key made for it. The door lock and the ignition lock used the same key when new.

Tom

Don Rogers    -- 06-02-2016 @ 7:25 AM
  As Tom said, try removing the door lock cylinder. If you can get it out, it should have a code number on the side of it. This code should allow you to have a new key punched. I can punch the key if you can get the code. See photo for an example of the key code.

deskjet894    -- 06-05-2016 @ 1:07 PM
  I am trying to get the door lock cylinder out. There is a bolt holding it in place that you access through a hole in the side of the door. The hole in the door is to small to get a socket on the bolt. Any ideas on how to get the bolt out?

This message was edited by deskjet894 on 6-5-16 @ 1:07 PM

TomO    -- 06-05-2016 @ 1:42 PM
  The door locks are usually held sure that you are trying to remove the correct item.

Tom

1932BB    -- 06-05-2016 @ 5:22 PM
  The door lock tumbler is held in place by a small threaded allen bolt set screw that is accessible through the small hole. Back the bolt out slightly to remove the tumbler.

Don Rogers    -- 06-06-2016 @ 4:42 AM
  Heres a picture of the set screw in place and removed.

TomO    -- 06-06-2016 @ 8:14 AM
  Thanks Don and 1932BB. I just read my post and see that I left out several words that would make my post make sense.

Tom

deskjet894    -- 06-06-2016 @ 6:27 PM
  I got it out but it was not a allen but used a pocket screw driver. The slot was covered in dirt. Don I do not see a code number. Is there anybody I can send it to and get a key for it and the steering column lock?

I would like to thank everybody that has helped me.

40 Coupe    -- 06-07-2016 @ 4:21 AM
  Your door lock cylinder face does not appear as original??? (see Don Rogers photo of an original cylinder above) Do you believe it will work to lock the door if you had a key? If you thing it will work on the door then you may as well get a key for it. But if the cylinder is not original the key will NOT work in the original ignition cylinder. I have used both Leon Rowell of Montezuma, IA and Doug Vogel of Dexter, MI for lock repairs and keys. Neither is in the roster of members. If you send me a PM I will send contact information or look on the web.

Don Rogers    -- 06-07-2016 @ 4:40 AM
  Deskjet, How about a few more photos of the door lock cylinder and the steering column lock.

If the door lock cylinder isn't original, it's key isn't going to match the steering column lock.

trjford8    -- 06-07-2016 @ 7:28 AM
  That door lock cylinder does not look original. Did it ever actually lock the door? The shaft looks too short to engage the lock.

deskjet894    -- 06-07-2016 @ 6:07 PM
  I bought the 1934 Ford pickup without any keys. Both locks look original to me but I am not an expert. I am trying to keep it as original as possible.

deskjet894    -- 06-07-2016 @ 6:09 PM
  front of the door lock. How does the drivers door lock? I tried moving the handle in all directions.

40 Coupe    -- 06-08-2016 @ 4:05 AM
  The door lock cylinder you have is 32 door it is very hard to find in the condition you have. I would suggest getting a key for it even if it does not operate the door (due to the short square shaft)!! With a key the inner lock cylinder can be removed it will have a key code on it's side. If you ship it GET INSURANCE around $200.00 and pack it so it does not get damaged, they are somewhat fragile.
The ignition lock cylinder appears correct for 34. You will have to remove it from the column drop to get a key since the door cylinder is not original to the car. OR Remove the entire outer steering column along with the column drop and lock cylinder and send the entire assembly WITH INSURANCE to the lock smith.
Below is the face of a 34 door lock cylinder.

40 Coupe    -- 06-08-2016 @ 4:20 AM
  To lock the door with a key, the square shank of the cylinder rotates inside a square hole of the door latch mechanism and the door latch locks the door handle from moving making the door lock. So the lock cylinder has to have the square shank long enough to enter the square hole of the door latch. You can try the door lock by leaving the door open, then insert a proper size screwdriver through the hole for the lock cylinder, into the square hole and rotate the mechanism. one direction locks the handle the other unlocks. Once unlocked you can close the door and not be locked out.
The door opening handle on the inside of the car also locks the door. The handle is rotated anti-opening direction a few degrees and that locks the door. The inside handle should stay in the lock position by a spring in a cam detent. In your case this spring may be broken, fear not, it can be replaced with another spring, that will hold the inside door handle in the lock position.

Don Rogers    -- 06-09-2016 @ 5:59 AM
  In light of your photo of the door lock and further research, I have to reset my thinking. You do have an original style door locking assembly. I say assembly because it consists of 2 parts, a sleeve and an inner lock cylinder. To find the key code, you will have to remove the inner lock cylinder. This can be done by drilling out the pin. The pin is accessed thru the hole in the top of the outer sleeve. This action will allow you to remove the cylinder and view the key code. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS ACTION WILL MAKE THE CYLINDER USELESS FOR FUTURE USE, BUT MAY GIVE YOU THE CODE FOR YOUR IGNITION CYLINDER.................IT'S A CRAP SHOOT!!!!

40 Coupe    -- 06-09-2016 @ 4:34 PM
  If the door lock is correct for 34 pick up all the more reason NOT TO DAMAGE it beyond use, by drilling the face. Send the door lock cylinder and the sleeve out and have a couple of keys made. Both of the people I have suggested to you are very capable of making a key, IF POSSIBLE. When you get the new keys and the lock cylinder assembly back, try the key in the ignition cylinder. While waiting spray penetrating oil into the ignition cylinder and let it soak.

deskjet894    -- 06-09-2016 @ 6:08 PM
  How can I contact the lock smiths you suggested?

40 Coupe    -- 06-10-2016 @ 3:09 AM
  I replied to your PM with all the contact information. Check your inbox.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 6-10-16 @ 3:10 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9735