LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / Agriffey-gas hog topic

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Agriffey-gas hog topic

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

keith oh
09-26-2015 @ 12:31 PM

If your spark plugs are showing light color tips, not black and sooty it is running as it should. Remember, back when these flatheads came out the fuel prices were anywhere from 20 cents to 60 cents a gal. and we didn't give a damm about the mileage. In other words the Ford V/8 flatheads were built for power, durability and ruggedness and they sure filled the bill. These tales of 25 MPG are probably from poor math, running 20 MPH downhill or just wishful thinking.

cliftford
09-26-2015 @ 5:51 PM
Senior

As I recall, back in the day, 16mpg on a flathead v8 was acceptable, and 18 mpg or better was considered excellent, and the sixes didn't do much better.

agriffey
09-26-2015 @ 11:09 PM

I agree guys, but I would be happy with 16 MPG. No, I'd be satisfied.
I use more than double the amount of gas to go the same places I went with my Volvo which was running 23 on local roads in and around towns.
I am thinking with today's fuel (in CA.) I could maybe advance the timing a couple degrees, and try to find a pair of EAB heads as the 8RT heads are lower compression than the cars. Cars were 100 HP, pickups were 90 in '51. I think with EAB heads in '53 they were 110 HP. I don't need more power, I need more miles per gallon.
I am considering installing a T-5 so I can run in 5th and get a little better mileage. I also need a synchronized first gear anyway, the high speed rear end won't pull it at a walking speed in second.
I can get into low at speeds a man can run but any faster and I don't always make it without a little crunch or grind.
Good idea about checking the plugs, I will do that tomorrow.
It always runs at 162 degrees with 160 thermostats. Even in 100+ weather. In town or freeway.
I want to try 180 stats and see if that will help.
Kieth, I remember 20 something cents a gallon. I ran out once in my '39 and paid a farmer 22 cents for a gallon of gas because that's what the going rate was during a price war that was going on.
It got down to 11 cents for a few hours before the ended the price war.
We really did not worry about mileage because the Ford V8 was fast and almost as economical as the other makes, except the Henry J. And most of us wouldn't be caught in one. Although one of my friends had one.
That 4 cylinder buzz bomb got good mileage but we thought the girls wouldn't like to ride around in such a small car.

keith oh
09-27-2015 @ 10:14 AM

I have had my 35 since the 60s, before the tree huggers and corn growers had to be appeased, it averaged around 14 MPG. After the alcohol addition it dropped to 12 or even less. The best was a 1950 Crestliner with overdrive- close to 17 mpg. I think the old saying " if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen". I love my old flathead and will keep on feeding it no matter what the cost.

ford38v8
09-27-2015 @ 1:21 PM
Senior

agriffey, before you lay out the upfront cash for a transmission transplant in order to gain MPG, divide the cost into the remaining years and miles you expect to drive to see your target MPG.

Also, if your car runs at 162º F in 100º weather, you don't drive a Ford flathead, and for that matter, no other gasoline powered car I know of.

Alan

len47merc
09-27-2015 @ 5:38 PM
Senior

Wow agriffey - you gotta lot goin' on here and in your previous thread! First of all I agree with Alan on your engine temps. I run 155 degree stats and the engine runs 185-195 degrees in late spring/summer/early fall, temp validated with a calibrated Fluke themocouple. When using 180 degree stats, same. The stat temps only control how quickly the car warms up and how warm the heater is in winter. Personally have never seen a car of any make run at 160 degrees regardless of the stat ratings.

Not certain of the logic of your comparing a 60-70+ year old flathead's mpg versus a modern Volvo. Also not surprised that you are getting the same mpg at 40 and 60 mph, although from your original thread 10 mph does seem on the low side. If your '51 F1 has a 4.11 rear then am not surprised at all.

12-15 mpg around town (city/hwy) and 15-17 MAX on the road (hwy) for 3.54 or 3.78 rear gears should be all you should expect even with 89 octane non-ethanol fuel. If you go to anything higher than a 3.54 rear gear I think you will be sorely disappointed and even then if you are running in hilly terrain even the 3.54 may be a strain on your flathead. Should you choose to put in an even stiffer gear then yes, you may be able to run 60 mph at a lower rpm but wind resistance will be tougher to push against with a higher gear and you may end up with worse mpg and even higher engine temps (reference TomO). Plus you will be shifting your butt off around town and lose most all peppiness your truck may have with whatever gear you currently have.

If you must, a 30 percent OD with a 3.78 rear may, and I stress MAY, give you as much as 19-20 mpg on overall flat terrain at nothing other than a steady 55-60 mph, but expectations city/hwy would still be 12-15 mpg and all city stop-n-go 11-12 mpg MAX. Have to agree completely with keith oh on his poor math/wishful thinking comment about anything other than the mileage expectations here and in the previous paragraph.

Suggest you talk to a lot of experienced, seasoned flathead experts on this before investing in effort and $$$'s.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 9-27-15 @ 5:44 PM

agriffey
10-03-2015 @ 10:50 PM

As I said before, I have a 3.5 rear end from a '72 F100.
I have no intention of changing it again.
I have two temp gsges. yeh stock gage is connected to the left cylinder head, the right head has a gage hanging under the center of the dash.
The original reads dead center when wared up, the other one reads 160 to 162.
I can drive slowly in heavy traffic or cruise at 60- 66 on a 100 degree day and the temp gages do not go up.
I have not added anything to the radiator this year. Nothing.
When those vehicles were new they did NOT overheat. Why should they now.
My '33 never ran hot, my 2 46 Ford V8 fordors never ran hot. My Dad's 36, 47 and '51 never ran hot.
The F1 has a huge radiator.
I've worked on these cars 60 years. All I see and hear is guys bragging about how much they know about those hot running Fords.
They run with cr*p in front of the radiator, 80-90 % antifreeze, retarded timing and loose fan belts, etc.
When I was a kid on the farm we loaded hay idling along in first gear on the F5 flathead and F6 V8 in 85-90 degree weather and NEVER had heating problems.
We had a Dodge that would get hot so we'd run the heater to help keep the temp down so we wouldn't have to stop & let it cool down. May that helped, maybe it didn't.
Somebody asked what the mileage I get on my Volvo has to do with all this.
I mentioned it because someone suggested I maybe don't know how to drive.
I kinda agree with Keith too, but 10 MPG?
I never heard of an F1 having a 3.54 or 3.78 rear end.
The standard ratio was 3.92 A 4 something was available too.

agriffey
10-03-2015 @ 11:10 PM

Since you fellows think I am a liar about the temps, oh, and I have seen several cars run below 160 on a hot day, and you don't read or believe what I say about the rear end I will have to just stop posting on this forum.
I put the 3.50 rear end in the truck myself. It is a G-D D-M 3.50!
If you can't make your cars run cooler than 185, and there is really no need to, you are doing something wrong or driving the wrong make of cars.
A car should be run at 180 to be efficient. 160 is not hot enough with today's oils and fuels.
Anybody that wants to is welcome to come take a ride with me and see how cool Fords really can run.
By the way Keith, I took out 3 plugs this week and they are running clean. I found the ones I took out 3 or 4 months ago and they aren't bad either.
Oh, did I mention I DO NOT HAVE A Gd DAMd 3.78 or 4.11 rear end?

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org