LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / Oil for 51 CM

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Oil for 51 CM

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Tracker
01-21-2016 @ 10:34 AM

For all the great advice & help I have received from this forum, I like to report back on things that work & do not work on this priceless old cars.

Less than 1,000 miles ago ,I did an oil-filter change using Rotella 20-50 conventional oil..I even used a hand pump to pull every ounce of the oil from the filter canister.After all the set backs I had with my car recently, I decided to finish up success with a new oil change. I was amazed to see how black the Rotella oil was...it was almost like sludge. But in less than 1,000 miles ? does not make sense to me.

I am now using Castrol 20-50 Conventional oil with a new Wix filer. Has anyone else had a similar experience ?

Tracker

TomO
01-22-2016 @ 6:50 AM
Senior

The condition that you describe, can be attributed to not getting the oil warm enough to evaporate all of the moisture and unburned gas in the oil.

Your engine problems kept you from driving the car enough (at least 30 minutes) to get the oil hot, also you probably had a lot of idling time while you were trying to resolve your problem.

Your spark plugs are probably showing signs of excessive idling also. They will get a buildup of carbon, when this occurs.

This will happen with any brand of oil.

I like to use 10w-30 in my cars.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 1-22-16 @ 6:51 AM

Tracker
01-22-2016 @ 3:17 PM

Thanks Tom .....as always you have the answers. The oil
was the blackest I have ever seen motor oil at any time in any car I have ever dealt with. It stunk to high heaven although not a gasoline smell. I had never used Rotella prior to these events so I was wondering about my choice of oil for this age engine.

The plugs were as you say, heavily carboned up so I installed a new set of Autolites. The distributor was the real key to success. I installed a new Airtex in line pump which seems to be a lot more efficient but the mechanical carry's the load and I have yet to use the electrical which is my backup.

Again, thanks for your response Tom.

Tracker

Superdave
02-20-2016 @ 12:43 PM

This is for freshly rebuilt engines..
Something to keep in mind. Presently the way machine shops clean old engine blocks is to put them in a very hot oven. EPA just about makes solvent cleaning obsolete. That "baking" process created a lot of black ash...inside the oil passages! if not thoroughly mechanically cleaned out. Like with long brushes the oil will pick it up and circulate it. I have had to clean every block I have had done from several different shops . Amazing how much cr*p I have found..even in crank shafts that are drilled.

56MarkII
06-15-2016 @ 10:56 AM

I've owned my 50 for 35 plus years now and for most of the time 95% all I ever used was a good brand of regular 5w30 with NO problems. I rebuilt my engine 34 years ago and used this since. Once I used 15w40 and when my Merc. sat for a while I had valves sticking. Out it went and back in went 5w30. Once I used mobile Synthetic and my crankshaft seals stayed dry even though they are a bit tired after all these years. I've heard old wives tales about older engines leaking like sieves because the gaskets were not designed for synthetic. Total BS! The only problem I had with the synthetic was when my Merc. sat in storage for over a year the valves stuck bad enough to cause the engine to miss on a number of cylinders until they finally freed themselves up. This included a slight trickle of diesel down the carburetor while the engine was on fast idle. I was told and read a while later that the problem with synthetic is it tends to totally run down back into the oil pan leaving things dry alot more than regular mineral oil. Must be some fact to that because I have no sticking valve problems with 5w30.
As for the type of oil that you use in a freshly rebuilt engine??
DO NOT USE A HEAVY EXPENSIVE OIL!!
I used to work at a John Deere dealership for over 8 years and John Deere has a so called break in oil. From what I was told by a service rep is it is a lighter regular 10w30 oil. Nothing fancy at all and this is what we always used in new or rebuilt engines. The lighter lower grade of oil helps the rings seat in better and in most gas engines including our flatheads, the pistons and rings only get lubricated by the oil thrown off or sprayed from the rods through a tiny hole in the side. of the connecting rod bearings and whatever oil is splashing around in the crankcase. The same thing applies to your camshaft and BTW did you ever see how your valves are lubricated? By oil mist that makes it's way through the drain holes in the lifter/valve valley under the intake manifold. There are small metal shields or deflectors snapped onto the steel oil lubrication pipe to limit the amount of oil sprayed up into this valley. I have rebuilt 5 of these engines (among many others) and everyone of these flatheads I have thrown these steel covers away to allow more oil up there with NO oil consumption problems. The lighter oil keeps the engine cleaner as well due to things getting washed with a spray of lighter oil.
My Merc. gets most of its miles on the highway mostly driving to car shows and meets and has stood up very well using a lighter oil. It is not pulling a boat and trailer nor is it on a race track and throughout the 70's all of your big Oldsmobile's had 5w30 as the recommended oil.

This message was edited by 56MarkII on 6-15-16 @ 10:58 AM

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org