Topic: 34 spun head stud, what now?

Bob Watts    -- 09-30-2016 @ 12:36 PM
  On the verge of putting the finishing touches on her after a 15 year nap a head stud spun when checking the torque.
I've tightened studs many times and recently checked the heads on 2 Model A's and 2 other Flatheads with no issues using a Van Pelt sequence chart.
The stud was easily removed by hand after spinning with the coolant pouring out after it.
All others seem good at 50 pounds.
What do I do now?
Thanks!

cliftford    -- 09-30-2016 @ 4:36 PM
  It is probably repairable using a helicoil or similar thread repair method, depending on how accessible that particular stud is. You will have to remove the head. Be sure to use a good sealer when you replace the stud. Maybe others will chime in on this.

This message was edited by cliftford on 9-30-16 @ 5:52 PM

GK1918    -- 10-02-2016 @ 3:39 AM
  I don't know if this is the proper name? But I call these a 'step stud'. You would drill and tap the block the next size thread and the other end is the standard size. Any one with a lathe can
make one in 5 min. or check your local high school (if they still have a shop)....sam

40cpe    -- 10-02-2016 @ 6:32 AM
  I've seen posts where the offending hole is tapped to a metric stud that is just larger than the standard stud. I don't remember the metric size/thread, but it shouldn't be a lot of options to sort through if one wanted to pursue that route.

WKnighter    -- 10-02-2016 @ 5:54 PM
  Use a helicoil with a good thread sealant and you will not be sorry.
Larry

TomO    -- 10-03-2016 @ 9:14 AM
  The helicoil seems to work better than the step stud. You may have difficulty in getting a good seal on the step stud and if it does not seat at or below the deck, you will have head gasket problems.

Make sure that the hole is drilled perpendicular to the deck so that the stud will be in the correct position for the head hole.

If you just broke the stud, remove the head and have a nut welded onto the remaining piec of the stud and use an impact wrench to remove the broken piece.

Tom

Bob Watts    -- 10-03-2016 @ 10:58 AM
  Thanks for all the advice it is much appreciated!
Looks like a heli- coil's in our future.
I'm starting to wonder if it might have broke off as the end of the stud doesn't look machined.
3 5/8' long here's a pic.
By the way assuming this stud should be replaced who's the preferred vendor?

cliftford    -- 10-03-2016 @ 11:47 AM
  Van Pelt, C&G or maybe your local NAPA or other parts store would have them.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=10122