LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1932 Ford Discussion / 1932 B project help

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1932 B project help -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

ford38v8
11-18-2010 @ 7:21 PM
Senior

Jim, the old car hobby is something you build your life around. A carport is absolutely not the way to go. You must have secure storage from the weather and from theft, and enough indoor room to work. Your car appears to have been protected from the weather all these years so far, and now you will become its caretaker, and I'm sure you don't want to muff it!

Alan

jim5618
11-18-2010 @ 6:41 PM

Sorry for the slow response, this has been a maddeningly slow process. The car is in western Mass where I grew up. I have arranged for the purchase from my cousin and am waiting for my 73 year old dad to go get it and bring it to his house (where he has a nice big metal building to store it in). As soon as he gets it I will hopefully get lots of pictures of it. I am going up for a week around christmas and we will (using proper preparation and precautions) try to get it running. This was not a planned purchase, more of a "do you want it before we sell it for next to nothing" deal. Good deal but now I need to figure out where to work on it and how to get it to maryland (where I only have a carport to keep it in). Fun fun fun

3w2
11-12-2010 @ 6:12 PM
Senior

Jim,

In looking back at the photos that you supplied, I am curious about a couple of interior items in the car. Does it have armrests (or the remnants thereof) in the rear compartment? Where in the ceiling is the dome lamp located and what is its exterior shape (round or oval)? Are there assist straps on the inside of the 'B' pillars inside the car? Is there any evidence that the car once had cowl lamps? I ask these as what's left of the finish on the dash and window garnish mouldings is pretty dark, darker than most original pieces that were originally painted 'interior gray'.

Thanks.

Dave

P.S. Your car has the later dash and door window garnish mouldings, but still has the early type of starter switch control (on the steering column bracket attached to the lower edge of the dash). That tends to suggest that it is a middle-of-the-(production) year car and free of some the rare and unique items associated with very early and very late production '32 model vehicles.

CharlieStephens
11-12-2010 @ 12:31 PM
Senior

Jim,

I am not sure I understand your question. The cars were rare because of low production (due to depression) and the fact that a lot of them were cut up. I can't remember anything special about the fuel pump or the oil pump. I wonder if it had something to do with the fact that a Model A did not have a fuel pump which would make the engine rare compared to a Model A.

Charlie Stephens

jim5618
11-12-2010 @ 10:53 AM

Got the book and did find it. I was worried it would be a more difficult wood grained look.

Is there any feature of this car that was only made for 6 Months? I racall my uncle at one point mentioning it was rare a)because a lot were cut up, but I thought he said there was something about the fuel pump or oil pump that was only done for 6 months? I went through the book and I wonder if he was refering to the fact that they didn't start selling them till mid year waiting for the V-8's. Just curious as i didn't see anything in the book that matched up to his recollection (which was probably third hand anyway).

3w2
11-07-2010 @ 7:35 PM
Senior

Jim (and Charlie),

There are three color photos of 'interior gray' dashes in the book, but as I'm traveling I can't give you the specific page numbers for the photos and the text reference to this finish.

Dave

CharlieStephens
11-06-2010 @ 9:01 AM
Senior

Jim,

I looked through "The 1932 Ford Book" a couple of times and couldn't find the information. I am sure it is in there somewhere (help Dave). "The 1932 Ford Judging and Restoration Standards" that Dave Rehor wrote and the club published in 1982 state that "The dash and window moldings on all standard cars were painted interior gray (taupe); these components were woodgrained on all deluxe cars..." This is the finish you will probably find in your car (maybe under a couple of layers of paint).

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 11-6-10 @ 9:04 AM

jim5618
11-05-2010 @ 7:51 PM

Charlie, I agree to your way of thinking. I want the car to look like it did when it was new. It will be restored as a standard. I was wondering what the dash was supposed to be (my book isn't here yet).

CharlieStephens
11-05-2010 @ 10:10 AM
Senior

Jim,

There is one question you will need to face soon. I bring this up since in your last post you said you just got your Lebaron catalogue and you should have the answer in you head as you read the catalogue. Regardless of what you decide you need to make this decision early. Do you want to restore your car as a standard or a deluxe? I like to see them restored as they came from the factory although the deluxe looks a little more “deluxe”. You will spend a little more money changing to a deluxe (which was very common when the cars were “restored” in the seventies). A standard car stands out more since most cars were changed to deluxe when they were "restored" in the past. The main things that come to mind are different upholstery choices (including carpets versus rubber mats on the floor), paint versus wood grain (be sure to price wood graining if you don’t intend to do it yourself, probably about $800) for the interior dash and garnish. Cowl lights and single bulb headlight reflectors on the deluxe (although they were an option on the standard cars). Oval dome light on the deluxe versus round on the standard. There is a good table on page 11-29 of the club’s book with a lot of other small items.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 11-5-10 @ 10:11 AM

jim5618
11-04-2010 @ 4:15 PM

WOW! got my Lebaron catalog today. I thought this was going to be a difficult process to find things. I can't wait to get started. I will post shots once we get the car out of the barn... no really, it is in the neighbors barn. I guess that makes it a barn find...

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4 5 6

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org