LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1932 Ford Discussion / starter grounding and dont know where to go

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: starter grounding and dont know where to go -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts first

37RAGTOPMAN
04-26-2021 @ 8:04 AM
Senior

IF you get it running, have everything ready to have it run for a while ,gas~ oil~ water
maybe a hour or more,
if it starts to overheat shut it off let it cool, when cool do it over again, till it starts easier,
monitor the temp and oil pressure,
it sounds like it needs to be broke in,
if you want to do the break in with out moving the car, used a house cooling fan on the radiator
and be sure to do it with a exhaust hose on it if in the garage,
FORD used electric motors to break in the motors, in a stationary engine stand,
when the electric draw on the motors went down to a certain point, the motor was broke in,
if you need the starter rebuilt, I used CERTIFIED AUTO ELECTRIC, 6vto12v@gmail.com 440 439 1100
new old stock USA made STARTER DRIVES, just like originals and also have high torque field coils,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-26-21 @ 1:15 PM

40 Coupe
03-26-2021 @ 5:00 AM
Senior

I suspect your battery is bad and unable to put out enough current to turn a 6V starter. Charge the battery fully and then take it to an auto parts store to have it's output checked. You can not do this at home by checking just the voltage. The amount of amperage the battery can supply is also important that is why the battery is rated by CCA (Cold Cranking Amps)

TomO
03-24-2021 @ 8:59 AM
Senior

To find the cause of the slow cranking, try this:

Remove all spark plug to reduce the load.

Connect your voltmeter across the battery terminals and crank the engine with the starter and the ignition off. Meter should read 5.5 Volts or higher. A lower reading indicates a battery not at full charge.

Reading OK: Connect your COM lead to the Neg battery terminal and the + lead to the starter terminal. Crank the engine with the starter and the ignition off. Meter should read 0.3 Volts. A higher reading indicates high resistance in the circuit from the battery.

Reading OK : Connect the COM lead of the meter to the case of the starter and the + lead to the POS post of the battery. Repeat cranking test. Meter should read 0.1 or lower. A higher reading indicates high resistance in the grounding circuit.

Reading OK: remove starter and have it checked for rear bushing side play, worn brushes, shorted armature, shorted or incorrect field coils (12 volt field instead of 6 volt)

To fix the failure to disengage from the fly wheel:
Check that you have the correct Bendix drive, that the spring is in good condition, that the spiral track is clean and dry from grease and dirt and that the starter shaft is not bent from trying to start with 12 volts.

Tom

Rockfla
03-23-2021 @ 6:58 AM

To start with you never responded to the previous question about battery cable size as you must remember that yes its only 6 volts BUT 6 volt systems use TWICE the amps SO you need a "O" size wire to handle the amps of your system. Common mistake is "most" people install 12V battery cables. SECOND IS have you "tested your 6V battery with a hydrometer and tested each cell of your battery??? It is possible to test them with a V/O meter and still read 6.3 Volts and have a dead or "almost" dead cell THUS cause the "slow" to "no" starter issue you are having!!! Third have you checked and cleaned ALL of your ground straps???? These would be the "FIRST" three things on your checkoff list!!!!

carcrazy
03-21-2021 @ 12:47 PM
Senior

You can take your starter to a good local motor or generator rebuilder and have it rebuilt. This will probably be more expensive than buying a new starter but you will be staying with the original Ford part.

materguru
03-21-2021 @ 11:20 AM

no Alan, paint is clean as a whistle around the mounting area and the area on the oil pan and the bracket. basically why would or what would make the stud on the starter cable mount to be positive ground when I bolt the starter to the motor. the cable is negative before it goes on the starter. i have tested the starter stud to see polarity and its negative or grounded when starter is mounted. If you know where i can get a good original starter let me know please
thanks

ford38v8
03-20-2021 @ 6:01 PM
Senior

Don, your dropping voltage low while cranking is to be expected, as the starter takes so much, but perhaps not that low, so maybe you did fail to clean off the paint from the mounting surface?

Alan

ford38v8
03-20-2021 @ 5:42 PM
Senior

Don, the Bendix is mechanical, actuated by centrifugal force, nothing electrical. The only electrical connection is the negative charged cable from the solenoid, and the positive charged mounting plate the starter bolts onto, which must not have been painted. Back to the jamming problem, the forward end of the starter should have a clip from the mounting bolt to the nearest pan bolt to prevent torqueing out of position. The grounding of the cable as you connect it to the starter indicates a solenoid issue, as it should not be hot until you hit the starter button.
As fir getting a new starter, do not buy a cr*ppy new one, there are plenty of good original starters available
Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 3-20-21 @ 5:46 PM

materguru
03-20-2021 @ 5:28 PM

plus to add to the discussion. i have never gotten it to start up on a 6volt even with 6.3 of 6 volt battery at the starter cable end. thats before i attached it to starter. Now with 6 volt battery in and the starter cable attached when i hit starter switch it goes down to 1 or 2
volts

materguru
03-20-2021 @ 5:05 PM

for some reason the power from starter cable is 6.3 when hit starter so enough power but soon as i put the starter back on, the brass screw that the starter cable is attached to on the starter become grounded and the power is nil. I'm at a loss. I'm going to get a new starter and try it out thinking that something is grounding in old starter but would like to keep all Ford and original. lastly, i restate. the brass thread that the cable goes on becomes grounded as soon as i install the starter. by the way, do i assume that at the moment any starter on these flatheads engage with the flywheel the whole thing is grounded until the release of starter?

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org