LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1936 Ford Gas Tank removal

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1936 Ford Gas Tank removal -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

1936TWC
08-22-2011 @ 12:52 PM

I am attempting to remove my gas tank. However, I cannot remove the threaded sleeve from the filler neck. I have applied plenty of WD 40 and put a pipe wrench (with pipe) to the sleeve and will not budge. I
noticed the tank pipe actually flexing. I know there are safety issues involved here. Any insights?

flatheadfan
08-22-2011 @ 1:27 PM

These things can be real nightmares to remove. Your best bet is to use a super penetrate such as Kroil for several days and a spanner wrench and hope for the best. In extreme circumstances I have seen the pipe cut off leaving only a short pipe on the tank end. When the tank was reinstalled a fuel resistant rubber hose was used to connect the tank to the remaining pipe. If you went this route you wouldn't be "plowing new water," Ford did something like this in mid-'37.

Externally, it will look and appear the same as a solid neck.

Good luck.

Tom

watwasithinking
08-23-2011 @ 6:30 AM

Park Tools, the company that makes tools for the bicycle repair shops, makes an 11" long spanner that I have found to be the best made persuader for removing those stubborn screw in fuel necks. This tool is well built, made in the U.S.A., chrome plated, and sells for about $15. Listed below is a link to eBAY that lists them as low as $12. The part number is HCW-5 and is called a Park Tool HCW-5 Bottom Bracket Wrench.

(copy and paste in your browswer window)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=Park+HCW5&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Pull harder,

supereal
08-23-2011 @ 10:28 AM
Senior

If you twist the tank inlet hole by bearing down on the pipe, chances are you will be looking for a new tank. As suggested, cutting the pipe and rejoining it with a short hose and a couple of clamps is the way we do it. Just don't use any tool to cut the pipe that may cause sparks, such as a Sawzall. Careful use of a plain hacksaw is better, and you can stuff rags down the pipe to help contain any fumes and particles.

watwasithinking
08-23-2011 @ 8:05 PM

It is my understanding that your mission is to remove your tank and not just replace your fuel neck.
As a purist at heart,I hate to see a reccomendation to cut the fuel neck off of your gas tank and spice it back together with radiator hose and clamps...unless originality is of no concern to you. If in fact you do consider cutting it off so you can remove the tank you'll have to make your cut through the threaded sleeve in the fuel neck so that only about 2 inches max is protruding from the tank. It is also in this 2 inch area that there may not be enough clearance to slide your tank to the right and lower it down between the frame rails. The neck has to pass through the inner fender (body) sheetmetal first. If the neck is too long it will not clear the body sheetmetal fuel neck hole. When the neck clears this hole the tank has to be centered over the frame rails so you can let the right side down first slowly while moving the tank to the right and then letting the left side down clearing the left frame rail.. (As a reminder, don't forget to remove the tail pipe hanger and move the tail pipe out of your way first).

Before you give up the challenge and start surgery on
your tank's fuel neck, I'd like to suggest a way to remove that neck.

First of all be sure and work in a well ventilated area, preferably outdoors. Disconnect your battery negative post cable(positive ground wiring)from your battery, drain the gas from the tank, disconnect the fuel line from the tank and plug the tank and fuel line. Flush the tank with water several times and then fill the tank to the top but below the neck area. You should now be able to safely apply some heat to the threaded sleeve area. Tapping lightly with a hammer will help loosen the fitting. Be really careful where your pointing that heat.

P.S. Using a pipe wrench on the fuel neck threaded sleeve can flatten the threads where the pipe jaws make contact and will cause binding. That is why a spanner wrench is used. The spanner places no pressure on the threads and eliminates binding. That sleeve is thin and the threads are fine threads.

1936TWC
09-14-2011 @ 11:22 AM

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Currently I am soaking the pipe with Kroil and hope for the best. I do not want cut apart anything, if possible. I will update on progress. Thanks again,

Marty

flatfoot
09-15-2011 @ 6:33 PM

I just took mine out and put it back with the 3 lead washer at the tank. I had to purchase a spanner wrench and it finally came easier. It was also easier to put back in. I paid 56 dollars for the spanner. Good luck.

Kens 36
09-16-2011 @ 11:42 AM

I purchased a spanner wrench from Sears several years ago for $15. Just checked now and the price is down to $12.82. It is Armstrong model 34-219. Works perfectly on the gas tank sleeve, but you may want to put an extender on it to get the connection tight.

Ken

35fordman
09-16-2011 @ 11:51 AM

I have been trying to get my 35 tank out for a week. Soaked for days with PB blaster, bought the spanner only to have it rip out the sleeve. As a last resort before going to the cutting the sleeve method, I put my cheater bar down the filler neck and was able to rotate the filler in the sleeve so it pointed down, the tank came out without a hitch. Then I got the pipe wrench up next to the threads and out came the sleeve. This may not work for everyone, but it's something else to try when nothing else seems to be working.

1936TWC
10-15-2011 @ 11:12 AM

After multiple applications of KROIL, i cannot remove the fillier tube from my gas tank. I am very aware of safety hazards of applying heat to the fitting, so I am
considering cuttimg the filler tube. Any insights on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

When you rotated the filler tube down, was the fender off?

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org