LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1937 vapor lock

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1937 vapor lock -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

40 Coupe
07-12-2020 @ 4:37 AM
Senior

What carburetor do you have? The original is a Stromberg 97 The 94 style is 39-48. a photo would be good. If you remove the carburetor does the intake manifold have a hole to the exhaust passage? If so only the Stromberg can be used unless you block the hole.

39 Ken
07-12-2020 @ 7:13 AM

If Skip Haney re-built your coil, you can bet it's not the coil giving you problems.
One undeniable truth of the day is that the condensers made today are of questionable quality. The most consistently good ones I have found are from NAPA, made by Echlin. The IH-200 is what I'm using and they seem to be the most consistent in quality.

Tubman over on the Ford Barn is making a "Big Brass" condenser with the correct resistance that will fit your '37 but it is a little pricey. However, pricey is good if you want quality and longevity.

Ken

JayChicago
07-12-2020 @ 9:18 AM

To those of you who posted suggestions regarding the fuel pump or carburetor: this is clearly a spark problem, not a fuel problem. Original post said " I can squirt gas or starting fluid in the carb and it will not start. " Later he said "the spark will not jump 1/2", barely 1/8".

We all want to help. But I see too many reply postings that have not been thought thru. That doesn't help, may just confuse a person who is already scratching his head. May I suggest that before we jump on the keyboard, we all should take the time to re-read thru the thread a second time, giving us time to think about the problem a second time.

mzahorik
07-12-2020 @ 11:02 AM

Well..... I had a little time this morning to do a little snooping. I checked the wiring, it was replaced about a year ago, and it is tight, complete and correct. The ballast resistor is good. My battery voltage is also good 6.3 volts. So I started with what I thought was easy. I removed the condenser and tested it. Turns out it is a little leaky and low on capacitance. I believe the correct capacitance is around 0.25 uF. I was measuring less than 0.15 uF. But, I think being leaky is the real problem. I also have a Model T which I have rebuilt the coils. One thing about these coils is the poor capacitors they had, but the new ones are great. So I removed the cap from the V8 and installed a Model T capacitor. The T cap has a little more capacitance, but it seems to work fine. With the motor cold, the engine started on the first crank, just as before. I ran the engine until warm, turned it off and waited 10 minutes. The engine temp went up 30 degrees, at least according to the dash gauge. This is where I have trouble. Normally the engine will not start until it cools, this time it started right up. So I re did the test and the engine started again when hot. Now I do not want to celebrate yet. Later when the shade comes around and is over the car, I want to try looking at the spark again.
The capacitor was new last year. I bought it from Mac's. Thanks for the help Mike

mzahorik
07-12-2020 @ 11:21 AM

And by the way, my car has a 97 carb that was rebuilt about 2 years ago. When the car is running I have no trouble with performance on the road. Also, my Model T capacitor measures about 0.45 uF and does not register at all on leakage. I had to try the car on the road. I taped up the temp capacitor so it would not get into trouble and drove around awhile. The engine did get a little warmer. With the engine off and after waiting 15 minutes, the dash temp gauge reading 180+, the engine started up. Maybe this is it. Still will try the spark test later tonight when it is not so bright out. Time will tell, thanks for the help. Mike

mzahorik
07-12-2020 @ 12:59 PM

While I'm waiting for darkness to come, to do the spark test, I made the capacitor connection a little more semi-permenent.

And here is a picture of my little treasure. Thanks for the help. Mike

mzahorik
07-12-2020 @ 4:03 PM

It was dark enough to do the test and see a spark with my old eyes. The spark is definitely not 1/2", but it more than 1/4" and maybe 3/8". So it is definitely better.

Did Ford have a ballast resistor bypass during starting? That might help a little more. Thanks again, Mike

This message was edited by mzahorik on 7-12-20 @ 4:09 PM

TomO
07-13-2020 @ 8:18 AM
Senior

Nice looking survivor, Mike.

I would get a new condenser from NAPA and install it.

You may not get the results that I specified with your set up. A 1/4" spark may be acceptable with a test plug. The different capacitance will also make a difference in spark intensity. You can use one of the plastic fuse holders to hold the wire or stick a small wooden dowel inside the plug connector to assist in holding the wire close to a head nut.

You can buy a coil adapter for test purposes that will allow you to use a round coil, but their reliability is questionable of the long term. I made my own from a bad coil base back in the 1970's and still use it for test purposes. The problem is that the round coils have severe quality issues. I do carry a spare Skip rebuilt coil for emergencies.

Tom

mzahorik
07-13-2020 @ 12:37 PM

The external capacitor is just temporary. I wanted to see if it helped, although I may leave it on for a while, just to see if it really makes a difference over time. Are you recommending the Echlin IH-200? I may try it, just for an experiment. Not sure why the Model T capacitor is so much larger than the V8 cap. Maybe I should get a spare coil and have Skip work on it. Thanks for the help. The car is fun to drive again. Mike

TomO
07-14-2020 @ 6:40 AM
Senior

Mike, I cannot recommend any electrical parts these days. The quality of all of them is questionable. I have used the condensers from NAPA in the past with no problems. I cannot say that about the ones provided by the vendors that supply the hobby.

Driving the car with a condenser of the wrong value can cause the points to pit and then you will have to replace them. This could lead to more problems as the quality of replacement point is not as good as the ones that we used to get 30 years ago.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org