LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1936 Ford overheating

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1936 Ford overheating -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

gfstew
01-05-2019 @ 4:35 PM

I have a 1936 Ford 2 door sedan . i installed a 2700 cfm fan on it a week ago so now when I drive it the temperature gauge runs at 180 degrees . This last time when I turned the car off the temperature shot up to over 200 and started dumping coolant on the ground I believe it is a stock radiator it has a front vent tube in front of the radiator where the coolant was coming out does anyone have any answers. This is getting to be a problem and I can not correct it

carcrazy
01-05-2019 @ 5:30 PM
Senior

Is the cooling fan that you installed an electrically powered one? If so, do you have room to install it behind the radiator to make it a "puller" to improve efficiency ? Did the car previously have overheating issues before the installation of this fan? Has the radiator been boiled out recently? If you have exhausted all other means to make it run acceptably cool, there are other things that can be done to make it run cooler. You can seal any gaps between the radiator and the body so that you force all of the air that comes through the grille to go though the radiator. A shroud can be made or purchased to surround the fan to minimize hot air that would be recirculated. Does the engine have 160 degree F thermostats installed. After you shut a hot engine off, heat will continue to build in the cooling system for 10 minutes or so during a "hot soak period". This is a normal condition which can be minimized by allowing the cooling fan to run for a few minutes after you shut off the engine. To enable this, you will want to route the power for the cooling through an electrical thermostat that has battery power when the ignition switch is in the off position. Please let us know of your progress in solving this cooling issue.

trjford8
01-06-2019 @ 7:38 AM
Senior

Coolant expands. Are you filling the radiator right to the top? If so you are getting it too full and there is no room for expansion and it goes out the overflow..

trjford8
01-06-2019 @ 7:39 AM
Senior

Coolant expands. Are you filling the radiator right to the top? If so you are getting it too full and there is no room for expansion and it goes out the overflow..

TomO
01-06-2019 @ 10:15 AM
Senior

Can you post some photos of the engine and the fan? A photo can help us understand how you cooling system is configured so we can help you better.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN
01-06-2019 @ 10:36 AM
Senior

hi
how long does it take to get hot, at idle or driving . Is it really hot of just hot water overflowing,?
if it overflows , is it steam or just hot water,?
check temp of coolant with a thermometer 'take a reading, see what it is,
always fill the radiator when running warm,? not cold. water expands,
first question, I assume the fan belt is adjusted, and is the correct one, not to skinny, and maybe slipping
if you can turn the fan by hand with out turning the engine over belt might be too loose,
how are the water pump impellers , rusted away ? are they turning , I know it is a stupid question,but maybe slipping on shaft,?
maybe new water pumps.
I have a 37 that ran on the hot side,
installed the correct size fan belt, fit in the water pump pulleys on the edges not on the bottom of groove,
I installed 2 REWORKED water pumps, from SKIP,with special impellers
I also installed SKIP's overflow valve, to pressurized the coolant system, like a modern car,
you have to seal your radiator cap so it does not let the pressure out.
this for the most part solved the problem, stay out of PARADES ,
I think a ELECTRIC FAN is like a band aid, might help but does not solve the real problem,they did not use these years ago.
also check if you head gaskets are leaking, any bubbles in the coolant system at idle or running,,?
a coolant system pressure checker, will tell you if the coolant pressure rises within a few minutes,
I use straight distilled water with water wetter in the coolant,and water pump lube ,but not antifreeze
I hope this helps ,,GOOD LUCK....!!!
regards 1937 RAGTOPMAN

supereal
01-06-2019 @ 1:35 PM
Senior

If the temperature rises rapidly after you start the car, it is very likely that the radiator is not doing its job. This is usually due to an internal coating of the radiator tubes with deposits such as lime from the water. The only true repair is by replacing the radiator itself. Radiator shops have mostly disappeared, and even when they were common, boiling and rodding didn't improve efficiency. Electric fans are a stopgap. They are expensive and draw high current incompatible with old car systems. When I bought my '47, it would boil before you could get around the block. A new radiator now allows adequate cooling on very hot days, and in heavy traffic. I know new radiators are very costly, but overheating certainly interferes with enjoying a reliable vehicle.

gfstew
01-06-2019 @ 3:00 PM

Thanks for all your comments they help a lot. the Radiator is clean and has no junk in it. I bought the car this year in July. I drove it home and it got hot and stopped running the day I bought it First I replaced the Thermostats and put in New 180 Degrees Thermostats Flushed the Radiator out put new coolant in it .I took it down to a Radiator shop that has been here for years .He suggested to install a fan . Now yesterday when I was driving it with the Fan ON it was 180 degrees the Temperature outside was 55 degrees. So I turned the fan off .and the Temperature gauge read 180 degrees when I stopped and parked the car it was 190 and the fan was off.. with in 2 minutes it was over 200 degrees and started dumping coolant . i now believe if I kept the electric fan running it may have no dumped coolant on the Ground ?? It has a Stock no presure Radiator cap on it. do I replace it with a more newer 7 lb or 16 lb cap with a recovery tank .

gfstew
01-06-2019 @ 3:05 PM

1937 RAGTOPMAN you said you did some switching over water pumps and a overflow value from SKIP'S who is SKIP'S ??

37RAGTOPMAN
01-07-2019 @ 8:25 AM
Senior

his name is SKIP HANEY
is in the V8 TIMES. been there for years,
you would benefit by joining this great club, has a fantastic magazine , and V8 FORD club events all year long

give him a call and he can explain what to do,
his address is

Skip Haney
29436 Taralane DR
Porta Gorda FL 33982
PHONE 941 637 6698
E-MAIL skip@fordsrus.com
NOTE 1939 DELUXE and later v8 had bigger cooling system, so overheating was a lot less
I do not run thermostats. and plain distilled water,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 1-7-19 @ 8:27 AM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org