LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / 1940 MERCURY MIRROR

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1940 MERCURY MIRROR -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

TomO
09-03-2013 @ 8:16 AM
Senior

Bob Drake had a closeout on the mirrors a few years ago. The P/N that he used was 09A-18403-L for the left hand mirror. You would have to give him a call to see if he had any left. If not, you could use the Ford mirror.

http://www.bobdrake.com/ItemSearchForm.aspx?Search=01A-18403

You could also try Don Collier in Georgia. I will send you his phone number in a PM

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 9-3-13 @ 8:18 AM

efv8
09-03-2013 @ 9:02 PM
Administrator

Web Administrator here........
There is a risk with trying to move your discussion to the Mercury Discussion. That risk is that all of the posts could be deleted.
The good news is that we have many valuable members who search out postings and add their superb responses to the questions raised.
And, as you have found out, they have been very helpful.

Bruce Nelson
Early Ford V-8 Club
Web Administrator

woodiewagon46
09-05-2013 @ 4:48 PM
Senior

I wouldn't go crazy trying to locate a passenger side mirror because it's physically impossible to see it from the drivers seat.

1940 CONVERT
09-09-2013 @ 10:33 AM

I haven't been able to get Drake's on the phone. Wescott said they were getting theirs from Drake and would let me know if they could find them. Collier didn't have any. He was a very nice man that I talked to for about 35 min. He also asked about extra fenders and grill I had. I told him I would try to get an inventory of extra parts and send him pics.

trjford8
09-09-2013 @ 6:08 PM
Senior

If you have an extra pair of fenders and an extra grille I would put them aside just in case you have an accident. Those parts are unique to 40 Mercury and it would be tough to find good ones in the event you had an accident. The grille is not reproduced and the ones I have seen at swap meets are very pricey.Those extra parts are cheap insurance and hopefully you won't need them. If you ever decide to sell the car they will add to the selling price.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 9-9-13 @ 6:10 PM

1940 CONVERT
09-09-2013 @ 10:56 PM

I was curious what was specific to that car. I know the door and window handles are.I had extra interior door handles cast from my good ones. I still need window risers that are. The ones in it aren't very smooth. We kind of make shifted them. Anything specific to that car I want to hang on to. Does anyone else know what is specific to that car only?

TomO
09-10-2013 @ 7:15 AM
Senior

All of the body parts are specific to the Mercury. The doors are unique to the convertible sedan. I suggest that you buy the reproduction body parts manual for the 1940 Ford cars.

Most mechanical parts will interchange with Ford. Some exceptions are the ww motor, chatter rods, pedal assembly, steering column, steering box and differential.

If you have the space, hang onto the fenders and grill. The right half of the grill has sold for as much as $1500 and the center section for $600. Broken grills sell for more than $100 depending on how bad they are.

Tom

1940 CONVERT
09-10-2013 @ 9:02 AM

I'm glad you mentioned the steering column. I know I have one of those. Who sells the parts guide. Will it tell the difference in regular body panels and the ones for this car. I'm pretty sure they are for this one. We had extras. Are they stamped with numbers anywhere?

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/1939-1940-Ford-Reprint-Body-Parts/dp/B00435JBM6

This message was edited by 1940 CONVERT on 9-10-13 @ 10:34 AM

TomO
09-11-2013 @ 7:39 AM
Senior

Yes, that is the book. Most parts vendors like C&G, Dennis Carpenter, etc sell these reprints. I was going to suggest that you buy an original, but after looking at the E-Bay prices. I changed my mind.

The body parts that are unique to the convertible sedan will have a P/N that starts with 09A-74xxxxx. Parts that are common to all 1940 Mercurys will have a P/N starting with 09A-70xxxxx and parts shared with Ford will have a P/N beginning with x1A-xxxxxxx.

The mechanical parts that I listed will fit all 1940 Mercurys.

For additional questions about your car, I suggest that you start a new topic in the Mercury section.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 9-11-13 @ 7:42 AM

1940 CONVERT
09-11-2013 @ 10:39 AM

Thanks for the help. I ordered that manual. There is a good chance I already have one. With two houses and four garages to go through I have already found hundreds of manuals. I didn't want to chance getting rid of parts cheap or exclusive to that car. I'll start a new thread next question.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org