LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / Wiring

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Wiring -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

TomO
07-07-2013 @ 8:38 AM
Senior

Back in the early 1980's, IBM adopted the serial bus for some of their products. It is a much less expensive way to handle communications between micro processors and it is less troublesome than multi connection cables. It was difficult to develop servicing procedures at first, but as they became more prevalent, it became easier. Today it is not a problem because the replaceable units contain so much circuitry and error detection methods, that the tech can easily find the failing unit and replace it.

The problem of proprietary information on the bus and how to handle it is not an easy one to solve. If you allow a program in a test device to decode the bus information, you give your competitors a good look at how you designed the microprocessor. The current solution is a proprietary reader program that doe not disclose the actual buss content, but allows the user to see the result.

I still don't see the need t have a micro-processor move the headrest when if they made it adjustable for the user, you would not need the motorized adjustment.

Tom

supereal
07-07-2013 @ 1:17 PM
Senior

Tom, I have come to believe that the design engineers have turned their attention to creating "improvements" that make operation so complicated that ordinary things require undivided attention that threatens driving safety. When we took delivery of a new Lexus last year, even the dealer couldn't explain how to do the radio presets with the new system! A local dealer sent us a newer Cadillac that had an obvious problem with a dead battery. We found the cause was a failing R/C circuit that controlled the dimming of the interior lights. It was located inside the rear light, and was failing to turn completely off, but would drain the battery overnight. It didn't show on the wiring chart. Dealing with microvolts and microamps is a whole new ballgame, and doesn't bode well for car longevity.

This message was edited by supereal on 7-7-13 @ 1:19 PM

TomO
07-08-2013 @ 8:28 AM
Senior

I agree completely. I had to get rid of my wife's 1998 Taurus, and shopped all of the new crossovers. I ended up getting a Chevy, because it had the simplest controls for the radio and other driver controls. She has had the car for about 2 months and still gets confused with the multifunction controls.

The engineers are asked if you can do something and because of newer technology they can, so it is done. Then all of the unintended consequences show up when the vehicle is delivered to the customer. They use microprocessors for items that could be handled by a more simple approach, but is cheaper to do with the electronic already in place.

You cannot buy a simple vehicle that can transport people comfortably today. The only simple ones are the econoboxes that you have to be a contortionist to get in and out of.

Tom

supereal
07-08-2013 @ 2:45 PM
Senior

It isn't only cars. We bought a new GE kitchen range a couple of years ago, and my wife still hates it. In order to change the oven temperature, you must turn the oven off and start over, reprogramming it to the desired temperature. She (and I) don't understand why a simple knob wouldn't be much better! Just because exotic microprocessing circuitry is available, you don't HAVE to use it! I was a broadcast engineer for more than three decades, and saw technology "progress" from tubes to transistors, and on to integrated circuits (black boxes), making diagnosis and repair difficult to impossible. That was nature's signal for me to go home and play with my old cars!

TomO
07-10-2013 @ 8:16 AM
Senior

Amen.

Tom

Fred Hanks
07-11-2013 @ 7:21 AM

Jus got horn relay 4 my '49...there is no marks as to what wire goes to where on the 3 posts ? I will pull power from starter sol. wire #1 ,wire #2 from bottom of steering box & #3 to horns...

supereal
07-11-2013 @ 11:08 AM
Senior

The three posts go to 1. battery, 2. horn button or ring, 3. horn(s). To identify those posts, place an ohmeter across the first two. If you get a reading, that is the relay coil. The horm post will show no connection to the other two, as it goes to the output of the relay points, and isn't powered until the relay is pulled. Most of the relays I've seen use the first post for battery, second for the button or ring, and the third to the horns. Many repro relays are not marked. If the horns don't blow at high output, reverse the battery and button connections at the relay.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org