LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / Window Crank - 1937 Ford Pickup

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Window Crank - 1937 Ford Pickup -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

jameson5938
04-18-2011 @ 9:14 AM

Needing help to figure out exactly which window crank is correct for my pickup! I've searched 5 different companies that list the crank and have received 4 different pictures. Were several differnt styles used or are all the companies wrong except for one?? If it makes any difference or it help, what mine has on it (which appears to be original) is the part #40-7023342-A from Dennis Carpenter. I am attaching photos of the different ones I found. I am also attach a photo of what is on my truck. I believe you can tell which one it is!! I was unable to attach all the photos. If you email me (westbrook4133@knology.net), I can send you the other photos! Thanks!!!

James A. Westbrook

This message was edited by jameson5938 on 4-18-11 @ 9:19 AM

supereal
04-19-2011 @ 10:02 AM
Senior

The example in your photo is the version C&G shows for the '36-'37 pickups. The Bob Drake catalog shows the '37 PU crank as 68-702780-E. I didn't find them in my Carpenter book, or Lebaron-Bonney. Given the culling of inventories going on today, I suspect you may have to settle for a pair of repros instead of matching one original. Most Ford handles and cranks use the same square shank hole.

jameson5938
04-19-2011 @ 7:38 PM

You can view the Dennis Carpenter style if you go to his site www.dennis-carpenter.com and search part number 40-7023342-A This is EXACTLY what is on my old 37!!! Just can't figure out what Mac's and C&G are showing something completely different! Which is CORRECT!!! Attaching a photo from Carpenter's.
Thanks!!!
James

James A. Westbrook

Lincoln
04-21-2011 @ 1:04 PM

To add a little more confusion to this issue : The 1937 Body Parts Book specifies window regulator handle 40-702780-A for the Pickup. This is the same nickel-plated handle as used on the standard 1933-34 cars. Modern replacements are chrome like you show from Carpenter, although his part number is wrong (too many numbers).

ford38v8
04-21-2011 @ 2:28 PM
Senior

James, it looks like your question is answered, but here is a bit of info related to part numbers in general:

1- Ford sometimes modified a part without a corresponding change in the part number. You'd expect at least a suffix letter change, but that sometimes didn't happen.

2- The Green Bible is never to be trusted for the correct part for concourse purposes, but is reliable as to what was the Service Replacement, this part being easier to obtain today.

3- For reasons which may differ from supplier to supplier, you may find that part numbers aren't even close to the original Ford part number, as has been demonstrated in Lincoln's post above. My opinion on the reason for these differences is due to competition between suppliers, and more importantly on possible Patent infringement.

Alan

jameson5938
04-22-2011 @ 6:15 PM

Although still a bit confused, I believe I have my answer now! I do not care what part number they use as long as I get the part that SHOULD go on my truck. I believe the Dennis Carpenter handle is the correct one! Not sure why other companies (no matter what the number) have handles/cranks that look completely different, but I guess this is the way it goes with parts sometimes! I do have the "Green Bible" and it helps SOMEtimes. Other than talking with knowledgeable people like yourselves, is there a book that would help me or a place to go to know what IS correct for concourse purposes? Is the 1937 parts book a source for numbers only or does it or something actually show the picture of something? I greatly appreciate EVERYONE who responded and I continue to learn from you guys!! I feel like I ask too many questions, but hope this is one of the reasons for the forum and you will continue to have patience with a person of my obvious ignorance regarding my pickup!!

James A. Westbrook

ford38v8
04-22-2011 @ 8:21 PM
Senior

James, The best book by far for you is the Automotive Hardware and Trimming Supplies 1928-1938. The original Ford publication is a large 8 1/2 x 11 format booklet, and will sell for perhaps $75 or more. Great line drawings of every small part used in those vehicles. Reproduction booklets are not bad, but harder to make out the detail drawings. The price is right for the reproduction though.

The "Chassis Parts List" specifically for your year is best, as it will have the correct parts listed rather than the service replacement parts that the 1928-1948 version (Green Bible) shows. Sometimes these Lists will show 2 or 3 years, but much better than the all inclusive Green Bible. These are not reproduced, and will also cost about $75. Don't fall for the Price List, as the information contained therein is of very limited value for you. It is priced accordingly.

A Body Parts book is helpful, but scarce and pricy, usually not worth the cost imho.

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 4-22-11 @ 8:22 PM

Tom_E
04-25-2011 @ 6:25 AM

Here's what is available at MAC's...

Chassis Parts List 1928-37 (repro) $33.25
http://macsautoparts.com/chassis-parts-list-268-pages-vb34/camid/F30/cp/JS0R3CHL1071882/

Trim & Hardware (repro) $22.50
http://macsautoparts.com/trim-hardware-reference-book-168-pages-pf2/camid/F30/cp/JS0R3CHL1071884/

Body Parts List 37-38 (repro) $16.50
http://macsautoparts.com/body-parts-list-77-pages-vb37/camid/F30/cp/JS0R3CHL1071924/

jerry.grayson
04-26-2011 @ 2:17 PM

James, the picture that you show from Dennis is the correct handle for Pickups 1935-1937--40-7023342-A (DC number)

jameson5938
04-27-2011 @ 3:48 PM

Thank you SO much!!! Now - is the correct tire size a 5.5x16???

James A. Westbrook

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org