LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / engine/trans orientation

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: engine/trans orientation -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

denofiniquity
09-08-2018 @ 2:02 PM

I would do that, but my understanding from the suppliers is that those pads are 7.5 inches long, wheras the 41 3/4 ton pu is 6 inches. Of course I can cut the pad, but then I would lose the trim edge. Am I correct in thinking that?
Another question I had asked quite a long time ago, with no resolve, as of yet, is this: The engine I have installed is a 46, just like the 41.
I am using original type water pumps, original type motor mounts, as well as a n.o.s. trans mount, which mounts inside the trans crossmember and protrudes through the crossmember just a hair, maybe 1/8" the trans probably sits on the crossmember itself, which of course doesn't provide much absorbing support. So this appears as all original, ok? But what this does is lays the engine down so far in back, making the carb way out of level and driving the oil filler/breather way into the firewall. This amounts to over 2" at the trans mount, meaning the rear of the trans needs to be raised over 2" to level the carb. The only explanation I have come up with is maybe Henry thought these 3/4 ton trucks were always going down very steep hills and needed this type of mounting to have the carb level. Guess they then in return would back up the hill. I am at a loss here and just want do to whatever it takes to level the carb. (original stock manifold as well as carb.)
It is the way out of level that really bothers me. The breather can be reshaped and the carb could have a leveling spacer built for it. This particular engine came from a 40 1/2 ton and sat level.
This is my biggest peccadillo with this resto, and have been working around this for yrs, but must come to grips with it now as nearly complete. I have the green book, no specific help here.
Help!
Dennis

TomO
09-10-2018 @ 7:31 AM
Senior

It would help if you show a photo of the rear motor mount. (you call it a trnsmission mount)

The Chassis Parts Catalog call for the same rear motor mount cushions as the front motor mount cushions. That should level your motor.

Tom

alanwoodieman
09-14-2018 @ 4:01 PM
Senior

how about a close up of the front motor mount, something seems off to me. I have a 3/4 ton 41 and will take some pictures of these areas for you. was your truck a 6 cylinder or a 4 cylinder originally? looks like a "riser" of some sort is on the front crossmember under the rubber motor mount

alanwoodieman
09-14-2018 @ 4:03 PM
Senior

how about a close up of the front motor mount, something seems off to me. I have a 3/4 ton 41 and will take some pictures of these areas for you. was your truck a 6 cylinder or a 4 cylinder originally? looks like a "riser" of some sort is on the front crossmember under the rubber motor mount

denofiniquity
11-10-2018 @ 12:47 PM

shot from under showing back of trans, crossmember of 41 122" wheelbase 3/4 tn pu. Actually measures 121"

denofiniquity
11-10-2018 @ 12:50 PM

image from above showing misaligned trans mount to crossmember.

denofiniquity
11-10-2018 @ 1:08 PM

Please see my original message below as a reminder:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would do that, but my understanding from the suppliers is that those pads are 7.5 inches long, whereas the 41 3/4 ton pu is 6 inches. Of course I can cut the pad, but then I would lose the trim edge. Am I correct in thinking that?
Another question I had asked quite a long time ago, with no resolve, as of yet, is this: The engine I have installed is a 46, just like the 41.
I am using original type water pumps, original type motor mounts, as well as a n.o.s. trans mount, which mounts inside the trans crossmember and protrudes through the crossmember just a hair, maybe 1/8" the trans probably sits on the crossmember itself, which of course doesn't provide much absorbing support. So this appears as all original, ok? But what this does is lays the engine down so far in back, making the carb way out of level and driving the oil filler/breather way into the firewall. This amounts to over 2" at the trans mount, meaning the rear of the trans needs to be raised over 2" to level the carb. The only explanation I have come up with is maybe Henry thought these 3/4 ton trucks were always going down very steep hills and needed this type of mounting to have the carb level. Guess they then in return would back up the hill. I am at a loss here and just want do to whatever it takes to level the carb. (original stock manifold as well as carb.)
It is the way out of level that really bothers me. The breather can be reshaped and the carb could have a leveling spacer built for it. This particular engine came from a 40 1/2 ton and sat level.
This is my biggest peccadillo with this resto, and have been working around this for yrs, but must come to grips with it now as nearly complete. I have the green book, no specific help here.
Help!
Dennis

denofiniquity
11-10-2018 @ 1:10 PM

Motor mount and water pump:

alanwoodieman
11-11-2018 @ 7:32 PM
Senior

is the trans a 4 speed or a 3 speed? I am pretty sure you have the wrong rear motor mount on the trans, 1/2 ton mounts are different from 3/4 ton and up. I will get a picture of mine tomorrow and post, also will look in my parts stash for various styles of these mounts to show the difference.

alanwoodieman
11-11-2018 @ 7:33 PM
Senior

is the trans a 4 speed or a 3 speed? I am pretty sure you have the wrong rear motor mount on the trans, 1/2 ton mounts are different from 3/4 ton and up. I will get a picture of mine tomorrow and post, also will look in my parts stash for various styles of these mounts to show the difference.

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org