LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / '39 Merc starter button R&R

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: '39 Merc starter button R&R -- page: 1 2 3

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

flatcreeker
10-21-2021 @ 10:48 AM

Things related to generator/regulator continue to be all over the place. Readings at battery range from 6.3v at 1250 rpm to 8.6v (and still climbing) then returning to 6.4v at idle. Sometimes the voltage increases in a textbook manner as rpm pass the expected cut-out threshold and sometimes not until 1400 rpm. The only consistent seems to be the return to 6.4v as rpm return down to idle. No adjustments have been made to this 3rd regulator.

Yesterday, during a short 4 mile test drive, the dash gauge indicated an overcharging condition. I pulled over and ck'd voltage at battery: 8.1v at 1400 rpm. I returned home keeping engine rpm as low as possible and coasting at idle much of the time. Once home, I raised hood and went through the process. 6.4v at idle, steady at 7.5v at 1400, then after about 2 minutes it started steadily climbing to 8+ v at 1400. This seems to indicate that the regulator "can" function properly. Makes me think the generator has something hinky going on.

I am weary of trying to do it myself and my confidence in my generator shop is waning. Going to a big car show/swap meet on Saturday (regrettably not in the Merc) and hope to get a lead on a shop to take it to for generator rebuild and new regulator install and check-out on vehicle.

This message was edited by flatcreeker on 10-22-21 @ 7:00 AM

flatcreeker
10-22-2021 @ 7:17 AM

Also-

I am trying to identify my generator by PN.

Based on pulley size (3 3/32" OD measured at forward flange and 4.0" measured at fan), which, of course could have been changed, and also photo similarity and height measurement of the mounting bracket/front end plate, it is not original to a 1939 Mercury. Maybe 21A 10000, a PN indicated by several manuals as the replacement for the 91A 10000.

TomO
10-22-2021 @ 8:20 AM
Senior

There are 3 Regional Groups in GA, contact one of them for help with your problem. You should be able to get a reference for a good electrical shop from one of them. Do not drive the car with the generator connected, you may do more damage.

Tom

TomO
10-22-2021 @ 10:43 AM
Senior

Your problem still sounds like a bad ground. Connect your voltmeter COM lead to the generator case and the + lead of the battery post, not the cable connection, while the engine is running at about 1,000 rpm. The meter should read less than 0.1V. If that is OK, do the same to the regulator mounting base.

If either of them read higher than 0.1V you have a grounding problem.

Do not run the engine for a long period of time as you could damage the regulator or generator.

If I remember correctly you should have a grounding cable from the battery to the firewall and another from the firewall to the engine,probably a head bolt.

Tom

flatcreeker
10-23-2021 @ 2:04 PM

Greetings-

I accomplished the checks between generator case and + batt terminal, and between regulator mounting and + batt terminal. Checks revealed no voltage present, not even continuity indicated. Generator was putting out 8.1v and climbing at time of checks. Returned to 6.4v at idle (at battery).

I have a continuity tester which resembles the typical ice-pick with light-in-handle and wire lead with clip. Only this one has a digital display in handle and matches accuracy of my digital multimeter and vintage analog volt meter. It also indicates polarity: green light = pos ground, red light = neg ground. Can I use this to determine polarity of generator and avoid the polarizing process (if pos grnd is indicated) and if so, how do I connect?

Volt check at battery indicated initial cut-in was slow to occurr, requiring 2-3 minutes at 1000+ rpm before voltage at battery rose above 6.4v. Then cks described above were accomplished.

Battery + grounded to firewall via a short flat braided strap and block grounded to firewall by flat braided strap. All ground connections under the hood have been cleaned and in some cases star washers added.

This message was edited by flatcreeker on 10-24-21 @ 8:21 AM

TomO
10-24-2021 @ 9:26 AM
Senior

I am having a problem understanding your post.

You said that there was no voltage between the generator case or the regulator mounting and the POS post of the battery. Then you go on to say that there was no continuity between them.

If you have a good grounding the case of the generator and the mounting base for the regulator should show continuity to the POS post of the battery.

My instincts tell me that you equipment was not functioning properly or the grounding cable from the battery to the firewall is open.

At this point, I feel that you should get some local help. Please contact the Regional Group nearest you for assistance in finding a good electrical shop to help you. You can find the contact information in the Regional Group Directory on the left side of this site.

Tom

flatcreeker
10-24-2021 @ 3:23 PM

I'm an idiot. I retraced my steps with continuity check. Thought I had the auditory alarm "on" but I had it "off". I DO HAVE CONTINUITY but no voltage between generator case and ground and likewise with regulator base.

You have been most patient TomO.

I will join one of the local chapters. Been trying to decide which one. None are proximate and I don't do Atlanta.

Best to you-

Doug

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org