LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / 41 Mercury fender trim

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 41 Mercury fender trim

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

tabrecheisen
05-23-2019 @ 3:31 PM

Was there different types of fender trim on 41 Mercuries? Looks like there was a thin and a thick trim

This message was edited by tabrecheisen on 5-24-19 @ 12:55 AM

41-42fordadvisor
05-24-2019 @ 6:53 AM

Yes, the beginning model year 1/4'' front fender stainless trim strips were made with a webbing crimped inside them. The webbing went between the upper and lower halves of the fender and was held in place by the bolts that secured the two fender sections. Additionally, the stainless strip ends were flattened and wrapped behind the headlight bucket opening in the front and behind the fender at the cowl in the rear. Later this attachment method was abandoned and replaced with the method used on the rear fenders- small T-bolts in the stainless strip fastened through holes in the upper fender. With the later method the trim strip ended before the headlight in the front and before the cowl in the rear-bullet nose at each end.

tabrecheisen
05-24-2019 @ 9:30 AM

Wow, and thank you! I did not know that. I thought my car was original, but the fender trim on it is more like 1/2 inch thick (top to bottom) and has a crease down the center (front to back).

I found a set of the 1/4 inch thin rounded trim thinking I could make one good complete set out of two imperfect sets, but now I have two different not-too-good sets.

Do you know if the wider trim strips could possibly be stock? My car has the two piece front fenders while the car I got the 1/4-inch trim from had three piece front fenders. Both were tudor sedans.

41-42fordadvisor
05-25-2019 @ 6:31 AM

The thin 1/4'' trim was used on the 3 piece front fender and the wider 1/2'' trim was used on the 2 piece front fender. You are welcome

tabrecheisen
06-04-2019 @ 6:37 PM

41-42fordadvisor, does this have to do with the different trim patterns on 41 mercuries? For example, it looks like some came with a stainless rain-gutter trim while others had trim around the front and back seat windows. I also noticed that some of the cars had a fancier interior door trim than others (photos of the 2 types should be posted here). Is there a Mercury bible where I can find all this stuff out by VIN?

41-42fordadvisor
06-05-2019 @ 6:44 AM

The 1941 Mercury like the 1941 Ford had a lot of changes during the year. I am not really an expert on 1941 Mercury's. I do not know when each change happened. There is no bible that I know of for the 1941 Mercury with all the changes by serial number. As the changes were made on a certain date. Not all the factory's would have made the changes on the same day. As they would have used all the old stock first before installing the new parts. You could write to Dan Krehbiel, he is the advisor for the 1941 Mercury for the V-8 Club. He is the one that told me about the changes in the fender trim. You will find his address and e-mail address at the back of the V-8 Times. I am sure he has a list of the changes and dates.

41-42fordadvisor
06-05-2019 @ 8:23 AM

Also in the March/April 1991 issue of the V-8 Times on page 23-26 there is an article and pictures of some of the changes made during 1941 to the 1941 Mercury. If you do not have this issue of the V-8 Times the V-8 Club has a thumb drive of the 1965-2014 V-8 Times for $19.95 plus $3.50 shipping in the USA.

tabrecheisen
06-05-2019 @ 9:05 AM

Awesome! I'll do that. Thanks again, I appreciate the insight!

therunwaybehind
07-12-2019 @ 9:42 PM

This is important as the later Fords had vertical seams and the Mercuries had longer fenders to cover the longer wheelbase all of which was in the front. The Fords beginning in 1942 then had a painted linen bead that ran over the top from the grille edge back to the end of the triangular apron of the fender. Are the Mercury fender contours more in the sense of the unflaterring term "flat fender" some times used in modern vernacular? I found my memory of those years had contours more like the 41 and even 40 in being rounded at the top. ooopsie! 40 years later. I just went to see the 1941 Mercuries (including one that is clearly a customized 1942 Ford) on a search and can see the 3-piece front fenders with both vertical and horizontal seams. Some of the customs may have the side horizontal seam welded when they lost their trim on that location.

This message was edited by therunwaybehind on 7-12-19 @ 9:51 PM

sq1954
03-06-2020 @ 9:50 PM

If you have any more 41 Mercury questions let me know. I have been researching information on these since 1973 and own a 41 Mercury convertible. I have information that the advisor does not even know about. My email is : squirefd@yahoo.com.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org