LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / fuel pump

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: fuel pump -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

TomO
07-08-2018 @ 10:02 AM
Senior

Peder, I am glad the you found the problem with your hard starting.

Your description of the problem (reduced fuel level in the sediment bowl on the fuel pump) led me to my suggestion of a leaking bowl gasket. I have a glass bowl pump on my 40 Merc and it is full after sitting all winter. If yours is still losing fuel after sitting for a while, you do have an air leak and your car will prime the carburetor faster if you find and repair the leak.

I have posted a test to check fuel delivery several times. You may want to perform the test on your lovely Mercury to ensure that the fuel system is in good operating condition. Many times, we fix one problem and don't find the others that are lurking to cause problems.

Here is an article that I wrote for the V-8 Times.

Tom

Peder D
07-09-2018 @ 3:54 AM

With regards to the fuel pump, and its correctness for the 1946 Mercury. how do I actually determine when my car was built? These cars don't have VIN no's...my chassis no. is 99A-1227666...does this no. indicate the assembly date? I've never really understood this....I have however found stamped on one of the trunk panels...Ford Motor Company, October 1946. Is that a good indication? This car was bought from the family of the first owner, so I am the second owner since 1946. Thanks to everyone for your help!
Peder

ken ct.
07-09-2018 @ 4:16 AM
Senior

Peder,if that is an Oct. 46 car it must have been 1 of the last 46's made and could have installed a new for 47 glass bowl pump. The 47's were almost out in Oct. 46.New 47 models I assume came out in Nov. of 46. OMO ken ct.

TomO
07-09-2018 @ 7:12 AM
Senior

Peder, the cutoff dates for changes to the 46-48 Mercury's are not known. Some changes occurred in 1946 at some plants and were not implemented until 1947 in other plants.

Original cars, like yours and Steve's, are a gold mine of information. The date codes on glass, instruments and other parts are the best indicators of when a car was built. Your serial number is in the middle of the range for all V-8 engines made in the 1946 model year, but you provide a part stamped with a date that is near the end of 1946 production, so we have to believe that the car was manufactured after the first of October, 1946. If there are dates stamped on amy of the instruments, like the clock or speedometer, they would also be an indicator of build date. If the car has any original glass the date codes on it would also help determine the range of the build date.

According to the date given by Steve, your Mercury could very well have been delivered with the glass bowl fuel pump.

Tom

sarahcecelia
07-15-2018 @ 3:03 PM
Senior

Are you using that daxn ethanol fuel? It evaporates very fast and the gas is mixed in with it, so tit takes the gas with it, that's a problem. Don't believe it? put a little alchohol in a small container and watch it disappear. It evapoates very quickly, because it's a cousin of acetone and laquer thinner, and you know how fast they evaporate don't you?

Regards, Steve Lee

Peder D
07-17-2018 @ 2:02 PM

Tom...I managed to read some codes from the windows that are original...rear window reads Herculite AS 976? Right pass. front J DF? Right wing also J DF? Quarter window rear AS F-S? Left wing H DF, possibly AS-FS? Left window driver J DF? I use question marks because the markings on these windows are 72 years old, and hard to read accurately...hope it's possible to decipher when the car was manufactured? Thanks....

Peder

TomO
07-18-2018 @ 7:29 AM
Senior

Peder, go to this E-bay page to see the date format used on USA manufactured Ford cars.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1932-52-Ford-glass-etching-kit-original-style-glass-bugs-for-your-restoration-/352211913786

The date shown is for March 1973 (3 Ford 37) windshield. The markings that you gave for the rear quarter windows probably have the date code. I am not familiar with the other markings that you posted, so they may also carry a date code.

Tom

Peder D
07-23-2018 @ 1:21 AM

Tom...

Now read the markings on both sides of the Ford script...most my windows are original...they read: J, meaning the month of October, and DF, meaning the year 1946 (J is the 10th month, D for 4 and F 6)...seem to be logical and indicate that my car was mfg. in October of 1946? Back to the 2 pumps available that year...what is the difference... technically and mechanically, besides looks?

Btw....looks like the gas line coming from the tank has a smaller diameter (replaced back in '05) and not corresponding with the hole in the flex fuel line...thus causing air to be sucked instead of gas...car starts right up after being driven in the course of a day, but if not started up in several days, it will not start without "help"...
Thanks....

Peder

TomO
07-23-2018 @ 8:02 AM
Senior

Peder,

Yes, your car is a late 1946 car. I do not know the date when the glass bowl fuel pump was put into production.

The glass bowl pump has a larger sediment bowl than the 41-46 pump and it is easier to clean. Other than that, there is no difference in function.

The line coming from the tank should be a 1/4" steel line with a copper coating. The correct line can be purchased from Roy Nacewicz and Narraganset Reproductions. I believe that they both carry the flex line as well.

http://fordscript.com/

http://www.narragansettreproductions.com/

I don't understand how the incorrect size steel line or flex line could be connected together. The fittings for smaller lines would not have the correct thread for the flex line.

Tom

Peder D
07-23-2018 @ 11:31 AM

Tom...

The line mounted back in 2005 was of a smaller dimension than a 1/4"...the fitting is correct, but not the line...making for air to be sucked in....have used silicone gasket "glue" to hopefully remedy the situation until I can get the correct dimension fuel line mounted....

It's hard to communicate so far away.....but thanks again for all your help!!!

Peder

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org