LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Mercury Discussion / fuel pump

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: fuel pump -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Peder D
10-11-2017 @ 12:12 PM

Hi! I have a fuel pump with the glass bowl in my '46 Mercury. I bought this back in 2005 from Joblot, I believe. Not many miles on the car since overhauling back 2010.
Problem is that the fuel level in the bowl is reduced when the car has not been started for a while. I can see no leaks, the flexible line close to the firewall seems ok and not to old, there's plenty of gas in the tank, and I have recently replaced the seal between the bowl and the pump with cork seal. The start is at best difficult. What seems to be the problem? Thanks, Peder

ken ct.
10-11-2017 @ 2:51 PM
Senior

For 1 thing the glass bowl pumps never came out till the 47 models. It will work but not correct for 46. The gas in the carb bowl should last roughly above that its mostly evaporates. If less than that your power valve or gasket is leaking gas into the crankcase. Smell your dipstick for gas. 2 weeks it will evaporate after that. I have correct 41 to 46 all metal have 1 left and show rebuilt with bullet proof diaphragm and valves for info call Ken Ct. 1-203-260-9780

TomO
10-12-2017 @ 1:06 PM
Senior

Peder,

If the glass bowl is less than full, the bowl gasket is probably leaking. The new gasket may solve the problem, but if someone over-tightened the bowl nut, they may have bent the seating area and the pump should be replaced. The glass bowl nut is supposed to be finger tight and you should not be able to rotate the glass bowl.

Tom

42oink
10-13-2017 @ 12:40 PM

Hi Peder, I'm sure someone will correct me if this doesn't make sense, but could an air leak farther along toward the carb be allowing the gas to siphon back to the tank? How long does it set when you notice the level going down? Seems to me, even if the bowl gasket was not seating the gas would at least stay in the bowl. What if the fuel float valve wasn't seating. Would that allow air back to start it siphoning? Just a thought. What does anybody think? 42oink.

Peder D
10-15-2017 @ 10:01 AM

Thanks to all for your replies...got a hold of my mechanic friend who has been tooling around with Early Fords for 50 years +++...and who has taken care of most of my problems with the Mercury...he had an original and correct pump for the '46 which he had overhauled...we installed that along with a new original Ford hose to the pump. Didn't take long before the old gal started right up....we haven't determined whether the glass bowl pump was the culprit, but the hose definitely needed replacing...Peder

TomO
10-16-2017 @ 7:53 AM
Senior

Peder, In the USA we stay away from new old stock flex gas lines as they are not resistant to the Ethanol in our gas. If your gas also has Ethanol added, you may want to source a new line from the USA.

Tom

blarge
10-18-2017 @ 6:14 PM

Ken: Do you have a rebuilt fuel pump for a 46 Ford 1/2 ton pick up I can buy? If not, will you rebuild the one I have? Thanks, Bill Large 586-677-4790 Michigan

Peder D
07-04-2018 @ 6:13 AM

TomO: Found the problem to my lack of sufficient fuel to the gas pump...turns out...the push rod had been "shortened" after 72 years, so the pump wasn't up to its job...anyone else experience the same? Anyway, "new" push rod in, and the ol' gal came back to life...was advised not to use a NOS flex gas line...any idea where to "source" a new line in the U.S.? Thanks, Peder

39 Ken
07-05-2018 @ 3:52 AM

Peter, Bob Shewman makes and sells a new Fuel flex line identical to the original but with new material that is compatible with the fuels of today. A superior product and I have used three so far.
Bob can be reached at:

gadgiteer@aol.com

or by phone at 610-933-6637.

len47merc
07-07-2018 @ 8:15 AM
Senior

With all due respect and appreciation for ken ct - just to clarify the 'correctness' of a glass bowl pump on a '46, glass bowls were implemented in late '46 (mid-to-late November from my research) and can be found both in late '46's and all '47's. Many late '46's DID have the glass bowls, and many very early '47's have '46 serial numbers but were not finished off the assembly lines and titled until Jan-Feb '47 (ask me how I know). This has been validated with me and endorsed by EFV8 technical advisors as well as knowledgeable judges at meets. Additionally, this is borne out in Appendix D Evolutionary Changes for 1941-48 Ford Passenger Vehicles on page D-3 of the 1941-48 Ford Book.

Bottom line is if you have a mid-to-late 4th quarter '46 serial number 59A or AB engine car and it has a glass bowl you have a compelling position to take that it is technically correct. If it is an earlier than November '46 car and it has a glass bowl and you are keen on originality then a pump without the glass bowl is more likely and technically correct (you might have a difficult time selling the story to a judge otherwise).

Steve

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org