LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / IS manual applicable to a 40 Merc?

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: IS manual applicable to a 40 Merc? -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

v8taxman
03-17-2010 @ 11:40 AM

Mike,

I am a new member having jsut acquired a 1940 Mercury Sedan Coupe. I posted earlier and several members were extrememly helpful with their comments and suggestions and based on one comment, I may already know hte answer tothis question, but here it is:

Does your book cover the respective car I have? I am thinking it doesn't as Stroker made a comment that this particular year did not share parts with Fords. If so, is there such a similar book for the 40MErc available?

As I am very new to this restoration process, this being my first but hopefully not last attempt, I would welcome any literature you could recommend that would be helpful in the process..

Thanks

Dale Cooper

Stroker
03-17-2010 @ 1:12 PM
Senior

Dale:

I was emphasizing the uniqueness of this particular body, and trim and I didn't mean to imply
that there is no commolity with a 40 Ford. Many drivetrain and chassis parts are common to both, and I'm sure the 40 Ford book will have much needed information for this year of Ford
Motor Co. production.

Sorry Mike, didn't mean to butt-in, but I didn't want to leave the wrong impression.

Dan (Stroker)

40 Coupe
03-17-2010 @ 2:12 PM
Senior

I have found the 38-9 restoration book to be very helpful restoring a 40 Ford, I`m sure it will help you. The 40 Ford restoration book is to be rewritten, but it woln`t be out for probbly a couple of years. The old 40 Ford restoration book will also help.

v8taxman
03-17-2010 @ 2:15 PM

Dan,

Appreciate the clarification. It is a learning process for me at this point, and as a newbie, sometimes what I take literally may be more descriptive than anything else. So thanks and I am planning on getting the manual shortly. Jsut working on where I can do the restore here in Atlanta before I bring the car down from Oregon.

I am sure this probably will not be the last time I make an assumption, so I guess I will ask twice and think once from now on LOL

Looking forward to many more conversations.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Dale

v8taxman
03-17-2010 @ 2:17 PM

thanks for that info. I had just responded to Dan before I saw yours. May have some questions as I go along..actually probably sure of it!

Thanks again

Stroker
03-17-2010 @ 3:17 PM
Senior

Dale:

I concur that the 38-39 book is exceptional in it's detail, as Gary Mallast is probably one of the most thorough researchers we have; who documents everything, and leaves the interpretation of original archival information up to you. Given the acclaimed restoration of TomO's, example,
I would think that he would be one of the best resources we (the club) presently have available.

A lot of this is common sense, and over-restoring is perhaps as big a "sin" as putting the wrong
year fuel pump on. The bottom line is that this is supposed to be FUN! Most of us are not in the hobby to create museum pieces, but rather to build a car that is a credit to it's maker. In your case, the inspiration behind this beautiful little coupe was none other than Edsel Ford.

Dan (Stroker)

kubes40
03-17-2010 @ 4:51 PM
Senior

Hey Dan, NO apology necessary. Your answer was quite accurate in my opinion.
I do think the current 38 / 39 book would be a good reference for the 40 Merc in so far as the few similarities go,(drivetrain , etc.)
The book I am working on will not address the Merc directly but again, just the similarities.

By the way, I am one of THOSE guys that create museum pieces! They are extremely accurate but yes, highly over restored. This isn't for everyone I realize but fun? It's a blast for me

v8taxman
03-17-2010 @ 5:54 PM

MY wife and I are looking to get something that is a "wow" to drive for now and then we may go the way of the museum piece but for now, only being 51, I want to enjoy what my parents did as kids..Looks like on the right track needless to say..I too plan on having lot's of fun doing this..

trjford8
03-17-2010 @ 7:25 PM
Senior

Dale, the Early Ford V-8 Club has a book called the V-8 Album. It covers Fords and Mercurys from 1932-1953. There are several pages dedicated to the 39 and 40 Mercurys and it may be helpful to you. The book can be purchased on the front page of this site. I might mention that it is a great book for the person who is new to the V-8 hobby. It gives a great overview of all the flathead cars.

TomO
03-18-2010 @ 4:41 PM
Senior

Dale,

There are many books that have a little information of the 39 and 40 Mercs. Because you want to make your car a nice driver and be able to display it on the Concourse, I would just start out with the V-8 Album, a 1940 Ford Chassis parts catalog (about $40 for an original one) and the 1940 Ford Body parts manual (about the same price as the chassis book). The reprints are have been reduced to a size that makes them useless for restoration work.

Then I would join the Georgia RG as there are a couple of nice 40 Mercs in that group. These cars will give you a good idea of what the car should look like when finished.

Once you have the car in GA, you can start with taking a lot of photos. I would get a photobucket account (free)( http://photobucket.com/ ) and when you have questions, you can link to the photo, when you post your questions in the Mercury forum on this site. It is also a great place to document your progress.

There are a lot of differences between a 39 Ford and your Mercury and some similarities. I don't have the 38-39 book, so I can't say if it would be worth the money to buy it for the chassis restoration. There are also a lot of similarities between the 41 Ford Chassis and your 40 Mercury, so you may also want to look at the 41-48 Ford book. If you join the RG, someone will have the 39 book and someone will have the 41-48 book. The owners would probably let you look at the books and then you could make your decision about purchasing them.

Tom

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org