LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / The Exterior Paint Work is Almost Done...

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: The Exterior Paint Work is Almost Done... -- page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

kubes40
09-04-2022 @ 6:25 PM
Senior

40cab,
Kindly, I'd suggest you start a new thread with the issue you are having. This thread is pretty much devoted to the sedan restoration.

I'll help you with your trunk lid fit. Perhaps photos of the upper corners?
It appears to be on a convertible. Correct?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

RAK402
09-06-2022 @ 10:08 AM

Thank you Mike-I could not possibly have answered his question anyway.

Back to the headliner this morning, but I wanted to check something before I went any further...

There has always been a problem with the Rear View Mirror-it was easy to install the left mounting screw, but I could never get the right screw installed. I thought it would be a good idea to make sure I knew where the hole was for the right one before I started tacking the headliner at the front.

There was a good reason why I could never get the screw in the hole-there was no hole in the slightly depressed area in the window frame (as there was on the left side). There is a hole, but no where near in the right place. The mirror bracket was used as a template for where to put the new hole.

I spent the rest of the morning with the headliner. Making sure it is centered, putting the initial tacks (actually, I am using staples) in the extreme back, trimming the listing on the back so that it can be pulled down far enough, etc.

More tacking and pulling tomorrow-long way to go to get in smooth and tight...

RAK402
09-08-2022 @ 7:25 PM

I have been working on the headliner for almost a week at this point...

Now having to dodge rain (which we need, but the timing is bad as the car is outside and has no rear quarter window in it yet-I have to seal it up with plastic every night.).

I am going very slowly with it. Stapling, pulling, tucking and gluing. There will be a lot of trimming around the edges as well.

The right rear quarter window area is almost done (the rectangular objects in the photo are rare earth magnets to hold it in place until I was sure the contact cement really stuck). There is a bit more fabric to be trimmed above that window, but otherwise it should be finished tomorrow.

I started working on the left rear one also, and worked on the back windows a bit too.

I hope to wrap this up in a few more days.

I have to go back to the armrests and the panels above them next.

kubes40
09-09-2022 @ 3:33 PM
Senior

It appears as if you are doing a nice job. These liners have always been a source of nerve racking for me as there is NO room for mistakes.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

RAK402
09-13-2022 @ 5:57 PM

From yesterday and today...
Test fitting the panel that goes above the armrest on the 1940 Ford Fordor Sedan.
I had to make these as the originals were literally crumbling. I used the two originals to make a pattern (there was enough of both there to make one-barely), the used an old Dremel Jig Saw to cut them out.
I formed the first one with hot terrycloth rags (steamed in the microwave oven). That worked ok (I may try a steamer for the second one).
The old arm rest was in pretty good shape, but was unable to staple the new panel to it properly. I soaked the edges in thin CA to stiffen them (which helped). I ended up using screws and blind nuts to hold the panel to the armrest-not as stock as I would like, but more permanent.
The test fitting went well, so out it came again and the fabric was attached.
Then the panel and armrest were re-assembled and installed in the car.
The right, rear quarter window is now permanently installed (with the correct screws).
Note: The wrinkles in the armrest covering will be behind the seat back when the seat is installed (they still bother me though). The original fabric on the armrest did not come back this far.
I now have to repeat the process for the other side. Once that is done, all of the windows will be in and the car will be able to be closed up (except for the antenna hole in the roof).

RAK402
09-16-2022 @ 12:49 PM

From yesterday and today on the 1940 Ford...

Got the left rear panel above the arm rest and the armrest covered, assembled and installed.

Left rear quarter window is now installed.

Also go the repro left door sills and lower door seals (front and back) installed and the windlace terminiated correctly at the bottom for the first time since I have owned the car. Thank you to Mike Kubarth and 1940 Tom for explaining how this should be done and providing photographs.

I am a complete amateur at this and would never have gotten anywhere near this far in the process without their help and the help/advice of the people on this forum.

Once the right side sills and seals are done, I will seal the rubber around the quarter windows, and with the exception of the antenna hole, the car can be closed up properly in the event it rains (again).

I have been playing beat the clock (actually calendar) to get it closed up to the elements as it cannot be moved yet (no steering column, steering wheel or instrument panel installed yet).

This message was edited by RAK402 on 9-16-22 @ 1:27 PM

1940 Tom
09-17-2022 @ 7:40 AM

You are most welcome, sir!

I've been following your thread - LOTS of hard work here. The car looks real nice.

Glad I could help, in some small way.

Have a nice weekend.

Tom

Soundguy2000
09-17-2022 @ 2:31 PM

Great looking car!!! It will be worth all of your time and
effort.

RAK402
09-20-2022 @ 9:15 AM

Thank you both!

RAK402
09-20-2022 @ 11:20 AM

Pausing with the upholstery in the 1940 Ford Sedan while waiting for new materials to replace some that did not survive 20 years in storage.

It made sense to take the cover off of the Hot Water Heater and repaint it now while the dash board is still out.

There is a lot of rust to remove from the inside (from a core leak that was repaired years ago), then it will be re-painted in gray, and the three red stripes added to each side.

I have never been able to find the Stainless Steel Trim pieces for the front of it, so I will have to figure something out for that. The previous owner (prior to my acquiring the car in 1975) removed all of the chrome trim from the dash and the stainless trim from the heater. He then painted the dashboard black (apparently with a broom).

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org