LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / Charging Problems:

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: Charging Problems: -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

fortyford
05-31-2022 @ 3:26 PM

Yes, I always polarize the regulator.OK I took the generator that had been on my car for years and he checked it as I waited and it had nothing!!I have a NOS military surplus generator that came from DC on my car now and believe it or not it is dead or weak also!At high idle I still am not seeing at least 7.0 everywhere I check.I am going to take it off and take to same man for him to check it also?Got a brand new regulator coming from NAPA tomorrow.

37RAGTOPMAN
06-09-2022 @ 10:22 AM
Senior

CHARGING PROBLEMS
I was wondering if you have a battery disconnect switch on one of battery terminals ?
I had one on my 37 and found out that it would charge more with out the switch,
and the starter would turn over the engine faster,
I now disconnect the battery with a 1/2 inch wrench more work LESS PROBLEMS
just food for thought,
hope this helps 37 Ragtopman, Maine

TomO
06-11-2022 @ 8:13 AM
Senior

What voltage did you get when you used a jumper to connect the ARM terminal of the voltage regulator to the FLD terminal and raised the rpm to at least 1,220 rpm (about 25mph)?

Tom

fortyford
06-11-2022 @ 10:59 AM

I took my original generator to this shop near me and they checked it while I waited.It was doing nothing so I left it.two days later he called me and said he took it apart and only thing he found was it seemed like one of the brushes was stuck,so it is charging now.Installed it with new regulator and at high idle I am getting about 7.0 at battery.At about 50mph on the road my battery gauge reads right at the orange and green line?May be I am to picky but I still think I am losing voltage some where?Tom I will try your suggestion and get back with an update.

TomO
06-12-2022 @ 9:32 AM
Senior

There is no need to perform the ARM to FLD test now, your generator is charging. That test is only valid when your generator is not charging and you need to know if the problem is the generator or regulator.

The voltage at the dash unit may be lower than the voltage seen at the battery due to resistance in the gauge circuit or the gauge may be reading low. The gauge should have about 6.8V at the orange/ green line. You can check the accuracy of your gauge by connecting a meter to the input of the meter and driving 50mph.

The regulator MUST be set with accurate instruments and correct conditions. The way to check the regulator output is connect your meter to the BAT terminal of the regulator and increase the rpm of the engine while watching the meter. When the meter stops showing an increase in voltage, that is what your regulator is set to. If it is less than 7.2V, disconnect the battery, remove the regulator, take it to the shop that tested your generator and have him adjust the regulator. Re-install the regulator, connect the battery and you sho8uld be good to go.

Tom

fortyford
06-12-2022 @ 2:26 PM

Thanks Tom,I have a NOS battery gauge and may change it out to see where it reads or can I possibly check it before I install it to see what it reads?

TomO
06-13-2022 @ 6:44 AM
Senior

Please read paragraph 2 of my previous reply.

Tom

fortyford
06-29-2022 @ 7:11 AM

Ok,I got brave enough to change out the battery gauge with a NOS gauge.Would have been fairly easy but dang heater switch is in the way and I did not want to remove!I did test the new gauge before I went to all the trouble to change.At 60 mph the needle is in the middle of the green area.I am a happy camper now!I noticed these gauges have adjustments?Maybe I can fine tune the one I took out for a spare?Thanks Tom for all your help.

This message was edited by fortyford on 6-29-22 @ 7:29 AM

sarahcecelia
09-25-2022 @ 9:53 AM
Senior

Ragtopman or Tom- Years ago this is how I to tested a generator I had rebuilt. I learned to put it on the floor ; put my foot on it to hold; connect a battery cable to arm terminal , and then just touch it to the case; if it motored it was good. Being that I'm 85 + now; Please confirm if my memory is right about that?

Regards, Steve Lee

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org