LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / 1940 Ford Discussion / car is running rough

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: car is running rough -- page: 1 2 3 4 5

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

o2bnkc
04-08-2021 @ 8:55 PM

Again, there are no wires going up to the resistor on the firewall. There is 6 volts going to the coil when the switch is on. It is a remote coil riding on a bracket on top of the generator. It gets pretty hot. I just got an original style coil, but if I have to many volts going to it, I don't want to burn it up when I put it on the distributor. I guess I need to run the power through that resistor first.

A Proud Navy Vet

carcrazy
04-08-2021 @ 10:36 PM
Senior

You are correct. If you run the original Ford coil, you need to have the resistor in the circuit feeding current to the coil.

40 Coupe
04-09-2021 @ 4:51 AM
Senior

You seem to want the car repaired before switching out to the new coil and condenser. I would try the easiest thing first and replace your existing condenser with a NAPA FA54 which is for the 46-48 Ford and appears my fit your needs. Then try it again to see if the thermal problem is gone. Other wise change to the new coil and condenser. Make sure the Ford ignition resistor of 0.5 Ohm is connected all the wiring is connected properly and with clean connections.

RAK402
04-09-2021 @ 12:48 PM

I am watching this thread every day.

I am really curious as to what the cause is and how the issue is corrected!

TomO
04-10-2021 @ 7:53 PM
Senior

Have you checked your spark when the engine is at operating temperature?

Did you do the fuel delivery test?

If you did please post the results.

Tom

o2bnkc
04-12-2021 @ 3:39 PM

I am still working on the problem. I rebuilt the carb but I am waiting for my smaller jets and power valve. Another dumb question, though. I received my original style coil, but am a little confused on how the condenser is mounted. I can't find any pics. Is it mounted on that tab on the bottom? I see that it will screw into the terminal on top, also. Again, this is my first flathead, so be gentle.

A Proud Navy Vet

TomO
04-13-2021 @ 7:01 AM
Senior

The condenser is mounted on the little tab on the coil and the grounding connection is the bolt for the distributor. Unfortunately I do not have a photo right now.

When I install a power valve, I use the gasket with the triangular cutout. I just hand tighten it and then put some gas in the bowl so that it just reaches the top of the power valve and let it sit over night. If it leaks down at night, I tighten the valve one sixth of a turn and repeat the test. If you have to make more than 3 tries, you should give up and send the carburetor to Charley Schwendler in NY to have it machined and rebuilt Here is his Email: cas5845@yahoo.com

Again, I would like to caution you about replacing parts without diagnosing the problem. I would go ahead and install the correct coil if you bought it from Skip or it was rebuilt by Skip. I do not have any faith in the reproduction coils as I have tested too many that would fail when the heat test was used.

Tom

cliftford
04-13-2021 @ 7:27 AM
Senior

Just in case I missed it, is your gas cap vented? or could it be vented and the hole is plugged?

o2bnkc
04-14-2021 @ 6:00 PM

The coil had a Dennis Carpenter sticker on the box but I purchased it from C&G Ford Parts. I'm still not sure how you are saying to mount the condenser. At one end of the condenser there is a screw hole. Is that the end that should be mounted to the tab at the bottom of the coil with a screw? The silver tab then should be mounted through one of the bolts that holds the coil on the distributor? Now the carb. There was always a strong smell of gas when the car was running or off. There was a little gas leaking from the gasket when I first brought it home, so I tightened the five screws down (upper part), but the gasket was bad. The rubber vacuum line to the tube in the back of the engine was not very tight either. I put a hose clamp around that. Several of the small gaskets inside the carb were missing. I put the rebuild kit in it and then decided to order some smaller jets(.045's), power valve(5.5), and some more carb parts after talking to Charlie Price at Vintage Speed. That's where it stands now. I'm waiting for the carb parts and trying to figure out how the condenser fits on the coil. Thanks to everyone so far for their advice. I am trying everything. Oh, about the gas cap. All I know is that it has the Ford script on it and it is a locking cap.

A Proud Navy Vet

This message was edited by o2bnkc on 4-14-21 @ 6:23 PM

RAK402
04-14-2021 @ 11:08 PM

o2bnkc,

This is not a terribly clear drawing, but it might help.

I should have my car out this weekend-if no one else has supplied a good, stock distributor photo, I will take one for you.

As I recall, the long tab on the condenser (with the large, oblong hole in it) goes under the head of the top, passenger side distributor mounting bolt (you can see its outline on the left side of the drawing).

This message was edited by RAK402 on 4-14-21 @ 11:13 PM

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2 3 4 5

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org