Topic: Welcome!

Model51    -- 11-18-2020 @ 8:14 PM
  Just saw this new Forum on the EFV8 website and thought I'd start a post.
I am restoring a 1935 Model 51 1-1/2 ton truck as a Ford Factory Demonstrator.
I have a 1935 Model 51 1-1/2 ton panel truck, barn fresh (literally) waiting for tender care.
Anything related to Model 51 is my passion and I'd love to hear from others with similar interests.

Tumbleweed    -- 11-22-2020 @ 7:49 PM
  Hi Model 51,
Glad to see your post about your interest in 35 Ford trucks. My son ( not a member ) has an original 35 Ford 157” wheelbase with a grain box on it. The truck is as is when new, with original paint. The only thing not original is the engine, which is a 1941. I own a 35 Ford pickup restored to like new condition. We are always on the lookout for our favorite truck, the 1935 truck.

We keep our eyes open for more 35’s.

Model51    -- 11-23-2020 @ 6:33 AM
  I'm glad there are at least a few others who like this kind of truck.
Any chance you could share a photo or two?
Also, original trucks are wonderful. For those of us rebuilding well used, and abused, examples, having an original for reference is invaluable.
You can contact me directly at gunnarson@verizon.net

therunwaybehind    -- 12-22-2020 @ 12:23 PM
  My first acquaintance with Ford was a walk into the warehouse/garage my grandfather had behind his general store, "East Williamson Mercantile, Co., Inc." It eventually became "and Sons" as my uncles got married and had children, though my mother and her sister ended up in different states. The first truck I remember was what the family called the "big truck." It had a flat bed with pocket rings for stakes. The stakes were very tall and there usually were none as a tailgate. It had 16.5 inch tires in dual configuration on the rear and all wheels had D shaped vent holes on steel disks. Next you would want to know if it had 8 or 10 lugs. ?? I don't remember. Later in the mid 50's when I was picking up brochures for my father to buy a new car I also picked up some truck brochures. Through the years I would have identified it as a 1 and 1-/2 ton flatbed stake. The body passed on from that truck until the one I drove in 1978 that had a thinwall V-8 like the 221/260/289 that replaced the y-block. The first one I saw I would identify as 1946 though if new, I would only be 3 years old so I have to bracket it by it's brother truck that always was 3 years younger and I remember the horizontal slatted grille and a body that definitely did not have the 1952 grille with the few big upright sculptured pieces. So, my 1946 was never seen again by me. It had the loop in the front for opening the hood and the many thin vertical slats all in a cream color, where the truck cab and stakes were a near dark green. It had three streamlined clearance lights on the top of the cab and combination clearance and blinker round pod lights that were viewable when lit both fore and aft on the front fenders. I don't remember a sand hopper with twin bent tubular spouts pointing down like if it was a Michigan truck. It was a New York truck attested to by a sign on each door that listed it's various weights including GVW. Now here is where my uncle pointed out that it was actually a 7 ton truck and had optional helper springs on the rear.(in 1978). My Dave Graham Ford 13 Volume set 1928 thru 1948 Chassis Parts and Accessories Catalogue has an illustration of a chassis cab I would identify as encompassing my grand father's big truck of 1946. His panel van is not there as it was later. I have ridden in both trucks several times to pickup goods from warehouses in Rochester, NY, mostly flooring from Armstrong and Congoleum Nairn and meats from Armour and underwear from a tall warehouse with skatewheel descent conveyers.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=22&Topic=14337