Topic: 53 f2 radiator fan spins but engine won’t turn ove

53_f250    -- 01-29-2024 @ 5:26 PM
  I have a 1953 ford f250 with the original flathead V8… The radiator fan will spin when I try to start the truck. However, the engine won’t turn over and won’t make any sort of noise. I’ve recently installed a brand new 6v battery, new sparkplugs, and some new fuel lines and a new fuel tank. Oil has been flushed and changed, along with the gas which has a VP racing fuel lead additive and sea foam. Any tips on what to do or what may be wrong?

carcrazy    -- 01-29-2024 @ 7:48 PM
  I don't understand how the fan can spin while the engine won't turnover when you try to start it. Is the fan the stock mechanical type which is driven by fan belts(s) mounted to a pulley on the front of the crankshaft?

If the engine does not turn over when you try to operate the starter motor, the connections in the electrical system may be compromised. Check to see that the ground wire from the + terminal of the battery is connected to the engine. Check that the - terminal of the battery is connected to the starter solenoid and that the solenoid to starter motor cable is connected at both ends. Remove each of these wires and clean all of the wire terminals to ensure that they are making good connections. With the transmission in neutral and the ignition switch turned off, jump the large cables going to and coming from the solenoid to each other to see if you can get the engine to turnover. If the engine cranks when you do this, there is something wrong in the starting circuit. The starting circuit consists of the starter switch, the starter solenoid and the wires connecting them.

Let us know what you learn so we can provide further information to get your engine to crank over, start and run.

53_f250    -- 01-29-2024 @ 8:59 PM
  Yes, the fan is the stock mechanical type with the belts and pulley, thanks for the tips, I’ll look into it and let you know what happens, thank you!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=21&Topic=16895